The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rag joint replacement with ujoint shaft, who’s done it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785358)

57NAPCO 04-19-2019 07:47 AM

Rag joint replacement with ujoint shaft, who’s done it?

Just wondering how you like it? What’s the difference in the steering and vibrations felt in the wheel? Noise transfer ?
Thanks

sweetk30 04-19-2019 09:38 AM

Re: Rag joint replacement with ujoint shaft, who’s done it?

Jeep xj shaft works great .

Rooster73 04-19-2019 11:20 PM

this is just my experience , having done countless D shaft installs on streetrods. a ujoint setup offers no [cushion] in the steering, but these are the rigs that have a rack which has bushings at the mounting points. a steerbox mounts solid to the frame, so the rag joint gives the isolation. biggest mistake with a steer shaft with a rack,[hotrods] is when they have to use more than 1 joint they dont time them=binding.

obijuan 04-20-2019 04:45 PM

In my blazer I used the xj and in my v3500 I used a 2002 chevy Express van shaft which is a two joint system but has a rubber bushing on the shaft that does not transmit any noticable change to the wheel other than the rag joint shortcomings.
If you have a good condition rag joint and slip joint in your OEM shaft you will notice no change.

layinrocker65 04-22-2019 12:11 PM

I’ve upgraded the steering shafts on multiple trucks of mine. It’s a great and cheap upgrade for sure. I did not notice any negative noise or vibrations

DieselSJ 04-22-2019 02:03 PM

Mo betta -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29299271546...&ul_noapp=true

SunSoaked 04-22-2019 02:42 PM

Holy s**t! $290 for a shaft? Better be gold plated. I've been contemplating this myself. Both junkyards I've visited failed to produce any donors. The Grand Cherokee must be a major POS as both yards were loaded with them. Lol.
My research at Rock Auto lists the Dorman part# 425-284 as fitting the Cherokee (84-94), Wagoneer (84-90) and Commando (86-92). List price is $187.00. That's still a lot of cabbage for an unneeded but wanted upgrade.

obijuan 04-22-2019 05:24 PM

That borgeson shaft is a huge waste of money. I am all for lavishly pouring money into my truck but that's just unreasonable.

NorCalAnthony 04-24-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obijuan (Post 8510747)
...in my v3500 I used a 2002 chevy Express van shaft which is a two joint system but has a rubber bushing on the shaft that does not transmit any noticable change to the wheel other than the rag joint shortcomings. ...

@obijuan Do you have a part number for that Express shaft by chance? Just tried looking them up and it looks like there's a couple different versions for a 2002 Express... I remember a couple years ago I could find a Dorman XJ shaft for under $100 and they're closer to $200 so another option would be great.

Kudzupatch 04-24-2019 06:53 PM

Just swapped out steering box with a quick ratio and I was going that route too. But the cost vs benefit was questionable. Couldn't find a used one and refused to pay new prices. So I bought the replacement rag joint with bolts, figured for $15 I would just try it first and then if I hated it I wasn't out a lot of money. A bit of work to grind those rivets out but once I got it back on, ZERO play and glad I didn't spend the money. Works perfect now.

57NAPCO 04-24-2019 06:58 PM

Looks like their all pricey if new,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Inte...4AAOSwN5hcPmMA

kipps 04-24-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunSoaked (Post 8511689)
Both junkyards I've visited failed to produce any donors. The Grand Cherokee must be a major POS as both yards were loaded with them. Lol.

From what I've heard, it's not a bad run-about. They made a lot of them, and your junkyard probably is still sitting on a pile just before they clean up. Based on a junkyard here a few years ago, you'd think every other vehicle on the road was a dentside ford. Now there's very few left in the yard, but chevy astro's are packed in every corner.

The grand cherokee was said to be the most like a classic pickup of any of the SUV's, and nearly indestructible.

notallthere 04-25-2019 11:14 AM

I have done it with the XJ shafts on both the C20 and the Chevelle. Steering feels tighter than before even with a brand new rag joint. I found a new one one through Amazon warehouse deals and I think brand new missing bolts cost me 30.00

v30crewcab 04-26-2019 09:03 AM

the xj isn't solid, it has a rubber dampner built in. I swap them in every square I got.

Axle 04-27-2019 11:23 AM

Are these shafts, XJ, Express Van, a direct drop in? from column end to steering box?

sweetk30 04-27-2019 11:34 AM

about as much or slight less than borgeson or others . but the price point is way less.

Mathew21 04-27-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle (Post 8514690)
Are these shafts, XJ, Express Van, a direct drop in? from column end to steering box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9C4RdvjPNQ

Axle 04-28-2019 04:55 PM

Thanks. Now I got one more thing to keep an eye out for in the wreckin' yards.

Alex.

1774btcrew 07-31-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obijuan (Post 8510747)
In my blazer I used the xj and in my v3500 I used a 2002 chevy Express van shaft which is a two joint system but has a rubber bushing on the shaft that does not transmit any noticable change to the wheel other than the rag joint shortcomings.
If you have a good condition rag joint and slip joint in your OEM shaft you will notice no change.

Any info on the express van shaft? It may be an easier to find option for me than the jeep

MikeB 08-01-2019 08:48 PM

I didn't read all the above comments, but I can tell you from experience, if you have power steering, you will get a whining pump noise and vibration up through the u-joint into the interior.

1774btcrew 08-01-2019 09:01 PM

I realized I had a spare XJ shaft and just posted it in the classifeds

SunSoaked 08-01-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8568838)
I didn't read all the above comments, but I can tell you from experience, if you have power steering, you will get a whining pump noise and vibration up through the u-joint into the interior.

After months of research and doing the swap myself, this is the first I've ever heard about this issue. Mine performs exceptionally well.

MikeB 08-02-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunSoaked (Post 8568933)
After months of research and doing the swap myself, this is the first I've ever heard about this issue. Mine performs exceptionally well.

While I can't speak to the 69-87 truck steering boxes, I did have the noise & vibration issue in a 55 Chevy car with a GM "605" box that the PO had installed (a popular way to add power steering back in the 1990s). As suggested on 55-57 Chevy forums, replacing the u-joint with a rag joint totally silenced the noise.

However, your post has me thinking about replacing my 82 C10's very old rag joint with a new one from Borgeson (not some cheap import) or maybe even their ball bearing u-joint or vibration-reducing u-joint. Think I'll call them to ask for their recommendation. Super good company that still makes their stuff in the USA!

drmatera 08-02-2019 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in the middle of that upgrade now on my 81 K10. And there is a rubber isolator up at the column end that should prevent vibration coming up thru the steering wheel. This is a factory Jeep part and I doubt they wanted vibrations.

SCOTI 08-05-2019 03:52 PM

I just finished swapping in a Jeep/Cherokee XJ u-joint shaft in place of my 2wd duallys rag-joint shaft. I purchased a new part for the swap from Summit Racing (Crown Automotive Steering Shafts; p/n 4713943) for $112 out the door.

So far, I have only logged a few miles on the crappy asphalt patched roads around my area but I didn't notice much if any difference in vibration vs. the rag joint set-up. There is an anti-vibration joint set-up @ the column end so it's not 100% solid. Steering feel is tighter (as anticipated) & I definitely feel better on a safety level.