The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780184)

lukeembry 01-19-2020 02:38 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schroedum (Post 8661865)
Holy crap. Awesome build!

Thanks. Keep in touch

lukeembry 01-19-2020 02:46 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
5 Attachment(s)
One of my favorite things on this build is the brakes. Master Power has a really killer set up for these trucks with 13” 4 piston fronts and 12” 4 piston rears. Works well with the Baer remaster.

One thing I’m super picky on is battery cables and terminals. I like them clean and simple.

MHarvey 01-19-2020 07:45 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
I completely understand where you’re coming from on the exhaust. I’m hoping mine isn’t too loud so I stuck with 2 1/2” piping and some quiet mufflers for it. The manifolds look really nice and give you great clearance around everything, that’s for sure.
Your attention to detail is awesome on everything with this truck. I can’t imagine what the finished product is going to look like. Getting anxious to see how it all turns out.

lukeembry 01-20-2020 08:17 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
5 Attachment(s)
A few chassis pics

lukeembry 01-20-2020 08:25 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
4 Attachment(s)
Few more

erichevy 01-21-2020 01:27 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Wow, looks amazing! Give me some inspiration for my 87 SWB.

STOCKISH 01-21-2020 03:44 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Absolutely amazing work! Cant wait to see more!

lukeembry 01-21-2020 04:41 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
5 Attachment(s)
a few more chassis pics

lukeembry 01-21-2020 04:45 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
4 Attachment(s)
Belltech springs and sway bars

SCOTI 01-21-2020 08:09 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Super nice!

moregrip 01-21-2020 10:03 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Solid! better rub some dirt on it! You know what happens if you don't!

lukeembry 01-22-2020 09:18 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
3 Attachment(s)
Final blocking of the Tamco 5310 primer with some 320 grit, reminding myself why I quit painting a few years ago! After this I finished with a DA and 500 grit before heading to the paint booth.

Kermitt47 01-23-2020 01:05 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Beautiful truck, I love your attention to detail. I have a couple of engine questions. Does you front accessory drive lengthen the engine over the stock truck drive and where are you connecting the vacuum for the power brakes? The exhaust manifolds look great. Thanks

lukeembry 01-23-2020 07:22 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kermitt47 (Post 8664546)
Beautiful truck, I love your attention to detail. I have a couple of engine questions. Does you front accessory drive lengthen the engine over the stock truck drive and where are you connecting the vacuum for the power brakes? The exhaust manifolds look great. Thanks

Thanks, I will have you an answer tomorrow on the accessory drive. Iím going to compare them. For the booster I drilled and threaded a 1/4 npt 90 degree 3/8Ē fitting under the rear cover.

lukeembry 01-23-2020 07:41 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
4 Attachment(s)
A few cab trim in pics using Tamco basecoat and 2104 clear

lukeembry 01-23-2020 08:04 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
5 Attachment(s)
I’m hoping for a extremely quiet truck inside with windows up so I went with Vibro Solutions for sound deadener. They have some nice kits for C10 trucks. 2mm mat with a 6mm closed cell foam for top layer. I covered the floor, firewall, back wall, under headliner and inside doors.

lukeembry 01-24-2020 08:03 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kermitt47 (Post 8664546)
Beautiful truck, I love your attention to detail. I have a couple of engine questions. Does you front accessory drive lengthen the engine over the stock truck drive and where are you connecting the vacuum for the power brakes? The exhaust manifolds look great. Thanks

comparing a L83 to the Holley mid-mount it looks to move the accessories forward roughly 1/2"-5/8" forward.

STOCKISH 01-24-2020 10:48 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
What color code is that blue?

lukeembry 01-24-2020 08:34 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKISH (Post 8665283)
What color code is that blue?

Code 21 factory color

lukeembry 01-24-2020 10:51 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
3 Attachment(s)
All new American Autowire body/chassis harness, ecm mounted and all 3 Dakota Digital boxes mounted along with Vintage air evap box.

Kermitt47 01-24-2020 11:16 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeembry (Post 8665212)
comparing a L83 to the Holley mid-mount it looks to move the accessories forward roughly 1/2"-5/8" forward.

Thanks for the measurement. That makes a nice tight package. Are you going to keep the Active Fuel Management in the tune? This should make a nice driver when you get all the engine wiring sorted out.

lukeembry 01-25-2020 11:12 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kermitt47 (Post 8665739)
Thanks for the measurement. That makes a nice tight package. Are you going to keep the Active Fuel Management in the tune? This should make a nice driver when you get all the engine wiring sorted out.

Yea Iím happy with the accessory drive, the fit, function and OE looks are awesome. I turned the afm off, I figure I can get 20 mpg without it and skip any issues it could cause in the future.

Mattchu60 01-25-2020 02:51 PM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
We must think alike, as my build is pretty similar to what your doing (yours is nicer!) but I also have the American Autowire 83-87 kit on the shelf to install into my c10.

How was the wiring install? The directions look pretty good - it does seem like all the engine wiring stuff can be skipped with the LS swap - did you end up using any of those wires in the engine bay side or coil them up/cut them off?

If you have any other tips for the wiring install please let me know - it looks strait forward when its sitting in the box, but in real life is usually not so easy.

lukeembry 01-26-2020 11:31 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattchu60 (Post 8665997)
We must think alike, as my build is pretty similar to what your doing (yours is nicer!) but I also have the American Autowire 83-87 kit on the shelf to install into my c10.

How was the wiring install? The directions look pretty good - it does seem like all the engine wiring stuff can be skipped with the LS swap - did you end up using any of those wires in the engine bay side or coil them up/cut them off?

If you have any other tips for the wiring install please let me know - it looks strait forward when its sitting in the box, but in real life is usually not so easy.

The harness is super nice, anything you donít want to use you can unpin and save in case you need it later. The only engine stuff I used was the alternator trigger wire. I remember shortening the headlight/parking lot harness some for looks. Make sure you have the correct crimpers and itís not bad at all. I spent about 2 weeks in the afternoon but Iím very picky about how things look and usually do things multiple times so it takes longer. Feel free to pm me if you have questions. Be glad to help.

lukeembry 01-26-2020 11:37 AM

Re: 85 C10 LT/6L80 Frame off build
 
2 Attachment(s)
A few pics of the new harness.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com