The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   How to convert LWB to SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=509442)

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:19 PM

How to convert LWB to SWB

5 Attachment(s)
To read the original thread and discussion on this topic go here- LINK

LFD's LWB to SWB in one simple cut!
Yeah right..

Well I had an idea what I was getting my self into but still had my reservations about it. Once I got into it and figured out how I was going to go about it I found it was fairly easy and went real smooth.

First thing is to remove your bumper and mark the holes that the bolts go thru for a later step. Then remove any trim that you may have on the truck. Pull off the tailgate as well to lighten things up.

You will be taking 8" off the back end and 12" out of the front of the bed for a total of 20".

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:26 PM

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

5 Attachment(s)
Next you need to lay out for your cuts. I came 8 3/4" forward of the rear stake pocket and then 8" past that. Then use a square and transfer the marks down to the bed floor. I then used a 6' level for a straite edge and scribed lines accross the bed floor. Now take some scrap metal and put in a brace from side to side and one at an angle from top to bottom to keep the bed side from moving. I set this about 5" past my last cut mark so it will be left on the bed once I cut the tail section and the 8" srip out. The end of the bed will keep its shape and line right back up as long as their is no damage to begine with.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I use 2" painter tape for laying out large cuts like this. Just put the tape on nice and flat and it will follow the body lines then place the next piece right up to the edge of the first one. Repeat this 2 more times and you will end up with just under 8" ( I guess the tape is a hair under 2"). I used a 4" cut off wheel that is 1/16" thick. Now when you start your cut just keep the blade right along the out side edge of the tape. The more carefull you are here the faster the next few steps will be. I found it was easier to first cut the inside first then the out side. Once you have cut it all apart then remove the bed bolts, unhook the wiring and lift it off.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Now repeat and remove the next section of bed that can be tossed in the garbage. Next you will need to layout the new marks on the frame for the bumper bolts, bed mount and the new end of the frame. Drill out all these holes to the proper size and then cut off the end of the frame and get it out of your way. I used some pieces of angle and a few clamps to hold the bed end in place while I put the bed bolts back in place. But first I took a small grinder and just removed the paint off the edges with out removing any metal.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
If yours is like mine you will have some spots that are tight. This is good because it will let you cut a nice even gap for welding. Remember when but welding sheet metal you want a gap about the same thickness as the base metal that you are welding. In the case of out trucks that is about 1/16" or the same thinkness as the cut off wheel you will be using. As you see my bed floor is tight in the middle so I ran the cut off wheel right thru the tight spots and made this nice weld gap. You will do the same thing on the out side of the body as needed. Once the bed fits how you want it tack it in place. I first tacked the outer bed rail to make sure it was just were I wanted it. Then I moved to the inside bed floor corners.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-04-2007 11:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I like to use these panel clips to hold things in place. I found mine at a harbor freight tool store but I know EastWood sells them but they are pricey from them. Find a few sopts that have the gap that you want and install the panel clips and tighten them up. You will do the same gap cutting on the out side of the body that you did on the inside. Once the gap is cut just how you want it then install more panel clips starting at the bottom body line and working your way up. Once I got tward teh top I found the top body line was not as far off as I thought it would be. Before tacking anything on the out side together take a straite edge and make sure the body is flat for atleast 12" over your cut.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Starting with the bottom place your tack weld about 1/2" from each side of each panel clip. Then when you get up to the top body line you will need to place a very small screwdriver in the gap and flex the metal in the direction you want it to go. Do this in little amounts at a time so you do not streach the metal. You want to change the curve ever so slightly! Once you have done this and the body stays were you want it and is flat then tack it in place about every 2" apart. Repeat for the other side. Do the same thing for the floor but panel clips are not needed unless you plan on painting and polishing your bed floor. I will be doing some form of a spray in or roll on bed liner so I did not spend as much time on the floor as I did the outer body. For the front I had to deal with the old gas doors. This added more tape and cut time but it is still the same process as the back.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now you can cut off the braces you have on the rear and add them to the front. Place them so that once you have cut out the section it is left in the bed near the wheel wells. The front of the bed will holds its own shape. The rear is about the same as the front. I had to jog my cut line over abit to make up for the gas door hole. I could not just do a straite cut thru the gas door because it would have hit the front stake pocket and the front bed support. I came 8 3/4" from the rear edge of the front stake pocket and then another 12" for the section that I would remove. Tape it off the same way as you did the front including the inside of the bed and the floor. Just the out side was joged and the inside stayed strate. I found it easier to make a cut on the inside of the bed from side to side near the bottom so when the out side was cut I could just lift off each side one by one then pull the floor out. Then unbolt the front bed mount bolts and remount it on the bed mount that the factory put right were we needed them.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
OOOOOP'S I do not know what happened but I did it on both sides. No bit deal I will just cut a filler strip and tack it in;)

Now everything you will do for the front of the bed will be just like the rear. Once it is all tacked you can start welding it up by adding tacks between each existing tack. Do not try and weld one section in one shot or you will have a very good chance of warpage. I only tacked each area so I would be able to tack one panel and move to another while the first one cools and by the time I work my way around all four side I am ready to start all over.

I do not have any finished shots of the bed side because I ran out of .023 welding wire before I could finish. So in the next few days as time allows I will get back to this and finish it up. I still need to fine the gas tank that I will mount under the bed and install the gas door so I can finish body work. Once the body work is done I will pull it off for paint and then cut the 12" out of the frame and do the flip kit.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 03-05-2007 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And the last shot for now! Before and after.

Here is a post that I came accross awhile ago and it is a great how-to on shortening the frame. I will be doing mine just like this but not for a month or so. Like I said I will be using this thread for my frame cut so I though I would link to it and not try and reinvent the wheel.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

Kevin
LFD Inc.