The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Difficult to turn key in ignition lock cylinder. Key question too. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=205188)

Green Monster 07-11-2006 09:40 AM

Difficult to turn key in ignition lock cylinder. Key question too.

My ignition lock cylinder is worn. I have to push the key down to get it to turn the key once insterted. Took me months to figure this out. I used to do the wiggle wiggle wiggle everytime till it turned.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have new keys that were given to me by the previous owner. While the keys appear to have nicer cuts on them, they do not work as well as my old worn key.

So, here is my question. If I replace the ignition lock cylinder, do I have to change out the door locks too if I want to use the same key for both the ignition and doors? Or do the doors and igition use different parts of the key?

MikeS 07-11-2006 12:23 PM

Re: Difficult to turn key in ignition lock cylinder. Key question too.

Easiest thing to do is just change the ignition cylinder. If you want to you can get the complete set of ignition and 2 door cylinders. Or, if your door locks work fine (actually no point in locking the doors if you've got the top off!) just do the ignition and then you'll have two keys.

tom71 07-11-2006 12:32 PM

any reputable locksmith can rekey the doors to your new ignition key , its cheaper if you pull the locks out of the blazer and bring them to the locksmith

Pop's72 07-11-2006 01:59 PM

When I bought my Blazer I didn't want any keys floating around for my truck, so I bought new key set from Early Classic that consisted of a 2 door keys, 1 ignition key, and 1 glovebox key for about $50. I believe that Brothers now has the similar key kit available, but I am not sure on the price. My back hatch lock and key is still the same as it didn't match my previous keys and dealing with it is a pain in the...

Just be careful that when you remove the door locks you don't take any paint with you.

Green Monster 07-11-2006 07:29 PM

I know the top is off, but I really like having the truck the way it was from the factory, one key does it all. Now, if any reputable locksmith can rekey the doors, will he be able to rekey my hatch too? If not, is there any kits with a hatch lock included?

69TowRig 07-12-2006 09:50 AM

No kits with hatch locks that I know of. I bought a 3-piece lock kit (both doors and ignition) for $25 from GMC Pauls. The 4-piece with glovebox lock is $40. The closest to OEM look aftermarket hatch handle I can find you can buy at Northern Tool & Equip, but the keys are a completely different style.

cdowns 07-12-2006 09:53 AM

ever think about spraying some lubricant in the lock cylinders to make them work easier??

meathead95 07-12-2006 11:46 AM

i had the exact same problem having to wiggle my key to get it to start so i went to the lock smith and he made me a new key for free (he liked my blazer) and i have no problems at all now

Green Monster 07-12-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meathead95
i had the exact same problem having to wiggle my key to get it to start so i went to the lock smith and he made me a new key for free (he liked my blazer) and i have no problems at all now

I have new keys, but they are even worse. Maybe I'll try again. I'll try the lubricant trick too.