The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Noise when clutch is released. Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813121)

jrthe1 10-12-2020 05:34 PM

Noise when clutch is released. Help

I have a 66 with 327 and I believe a Saginaw four speed. Recently I began hearing a brief moaning noise when letting the clutch out in first or reverse gear from a stand still. As an experiment I started out in second gear and it does it as well. This happens more when the engine is cold. When not in gear and clutch is let out there is no noise whatsoever in neutral. Once moving, no noise in up shifting to 2nd, third, or fourth or down shifting. The clutch is smooth with no chattering. Per PO the clutch was replaced about 10K miles ago. The trans is noisy in 4th gear. Kind of a howl or moan that changes frequency with rpm but I've been told Saginaws are noisy.

Wondering what the problem might be??? Any ideas? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

LostMy65 10-12-2020 06:13 PM

Re: Noise when clutch is released. Help

Throw out bearing?

jrthe1 10-12-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8821521)
Throw out bearing?

Posted via Mobile Device

jrthe1 10-12-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8821521)
Throw out bearing?

Don’t think it is throw out bearing. There is no noise in neutral with clutch out. Dead silent.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

geezer#99 10-12-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrthe1 (Post 8821531)
Don’t think it is throw out bearing. There is no noise in neutral with clutch out. Dead silent.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Supposed to be like that.
Until it’s fully released it’s spinning.

jrthe1 10-13-2020 07:11 AM

So geezer#99, you don't think it's a throw out bearing either right.

geezer#99 10-13-2020 10:29 AM

I guess I was clear as mud! LOL!

Normally the tob doesn’t touch the fingers of the clutch plate. Yours doesn’t.
Anytime you push the clutch pedal down it will move maybe a couple inches (free play) and then the tob contacts the fingers.
Normally the tob rotates silently with the fingers but when they start to dry out and get older they start making noises. Eventually they’ll seize up and start making awe full metal on metal noises.
Yours is telling you it’s getting time to replace it.

So long story longer, yes I think it’s your tob.

As an extra!
Saginaw 4 speeds aren’t noisy at all.
You got a bearing problem.

jrthe1 10-13-2020 02:31 PM

Thanks for that geezer#99. I always thought that a symptom of a bad tob was that when in neutral with the clutch out there would be a chattering type noise. I have no noise whatsoever. I only get like a brief moaning groaning noise from dead stop when letting the clutch out at about midway through it's travel and then it goes away. No noise when the clutch is fully out. No noise whatsoever up shifting or downshifting through the gears.

Please confirm that you still think it's the tob. Thanks again.

I'd rather not have any extras. ;-(

geezer#99 10-13-2020 08:23 PM

Everything you describe says tob.
But just after typing that a thought occurred.
Check the clutch rod where it goes thru the firewall. Could be making contact enough to make noise in just one spot.
From dead stop the motor will move slightly towards the passenger side.
I’ve had rods squeak mid push/release.

jrthe1 10-14-2020 07:20 AM

Interesting! I'll check it out this morning. :mm: Thanks.

geezer#99 10-14-2020 08:54 AM

The one I had I couldn’t make it make noise unless the motor torqued over and stayed there. Just trying it by revving it up or moving the pedal didn’t work. I ended up putting some grease on the rod so I could see where it would rub off.

jrthe1 10-14-2020 10:42 AM

I ran some errands this morning. Before starting the engine I decided to let the clutch in and out a few times. Went on about a 35 mile trip and no noise. Got home and looked closely at the clutch rod and there was some of the rubberish floor board touching on it and the rod itself had evidence of it rubbing maybe against the firewall as it had like a residue or marks on it on it like it was touching or rubbing on something. About 2 1/2" of the rod above where it goes through the hole to the clutch had these marks.

Maybe we're on to something. What do you suggest I do? Thanks.

geezer#99 10-14-2020 10:49 AM

Move it slightly in the opposite direction.
I had to bend the one I had.
Or clearance the hole.
Or lube the rod and the suspected rub zone. Try a spray of wd40.

jrthe1 10-14-2020 10:55 AM

Thanks geezer#99. I will do the WD40 and keep my fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, I will clearance the hole. I will report back in the next 4 or 5 days.

If this works I will be one happy camper. ;)

geezer#99 10-14-2020 11:11 AM

And give each connection point a spray too.
A little lube on the metal parts never hurts.

jrthe1 10-17-2020 01:53 PM

Well geezer, Lubing the clutch rod did not do the trick. Same symptoms. Sometimes it acts out sometimes it doesn't. I have winterized the truck and put it away for it's long winter's nap as it's getting colder and will be soon nasty here. I guess in the spring, I will expect to get a new clutch kit.

Regarding transmission noise, the noise I have is howling in 4th gear. All other aspects are ok. Whattayathink?

geezer#99 10-17-2020 04:39 PM

Howling is usually a bearing.
I guess it might be your tob making noise.
Or remotely possible is the fork pivot.

jrthe1 10-17-2020 05:15 PM

If it was the tob wouldn't there be a noise with the clutch out in neutral?

geezer#99 10-17-2020 06:38 PM

Like I said before, clutch out in neutral the tob should just be sitting there doing nothing.

jrthe1 10-18-2020 11:45 AM

Thanks geezer#99 for your input and patience. I'll report back in the spring or early summer 2021 with an update.

Now let's get ready for some football.:flagw:

dracko 10-23-2020 01:42 AM

I’m a little late to the party but I had a similar deal recently. The clutch on my ‘64 (327 w\ NP440) started making a whining noise whenever I was using the clutch, silent with my foot off the pedal, but as soon as I touched the pedal it’d start whining. I replaced the tob...and for good measure I bought a new Dorman clutch fork that has spring tabs that securely hold the tob, and all is silent now.

jrthe1 10-23-2020 06:50 AM

Thanks dracko. Appreciate the input. My truck has been in winter storage for about a week and I already miss it. :whine:
I will sort this out in the spring after what I hope will be a mild winter.

Greg63 10-24-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracko (Post 8825979)
I’m a little late to the party but I had a similar deal recently. The clutch on my ‘64 (327 w\ NP440) started making a whining noise whenever I was using the clutch, silent with my foot off the pedal, but as soon as I touched the pedal it’d start whining. I replaced the tob...and for good measure I bought a new Dorman clutch fork that has spring tabs that securely hold the tob, and all is silent now.

Where did you get the Dorman fork and what is the part number?

dracko 10-26-2020 02:16 AM

Sent ya a DM but in case somebody searches this thread one day, the Dorman PN is 14550.