The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

Mike_The_Grad 01-26-2014 01:26 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Thanx @ elliot949 &@TeX Jake. Anytime I get two of the same opinions its good enough for me.pictures soon to follow. Any idea on how many cans? I'm gonna paint engine and trans.

Andy4639 01-26-2014 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I drove the truck to our local chapter of chevy trucks meet in Greenville SC along with some others! First drive since the 6.0 LSx motor install!;):chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCF0374.JPG

Elliot949 01-26-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6491652)
Thanx @ elliot949 &@TeX Jake. Anytime I get two of the same opinions its good enough for me.pictures soon to follow. Any idea on how many cans? I'm gonna paint engine and trans.

Probably no more than 3... the key to this product is to apply it EXACTLY per label... If you do Everything right there will never be a time that you would need a "professional" repaint it...

This product actually is what most Restoration companies use to paint OEM style restoration projects...

Ridgeclimber 01-26-2014 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent my weekend stripping the paint off of my hood and the front fenders. I used aircraft paint stripper then sanded it down. Very time consuming.

magwakeenercew2jh 01-26-2014 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6491750)
I spent my weekend stripping the paint off of my hood and the front fenders. I used aircraft paint stripper then sanded it down. Very time consuming.

Oh...My neck!

texjake 01-26-2014 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6489626)
Thanx @ elliot949 &@TeX Jake. Anytime I get two of the same opinions its good enough for me.pictures soon to follow. Any idea on how many cans? I'm gonna paint engine and trans....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6491728)
Probably no more than 3... the key to this product is to apply it EXACTLY per label... If you do Everything right there will never be a time that you would need a "professional" repaint it...

This product actually is what most Restoration companies use to paint OEM style restoration projects...

Agreed. Apply as per label. I painted a set of headers on my 38' Plymouth ratrod truck last year and once they were installed & I ran the truck they never blistered or discolored. And since I didn't have a oven to cure them in, I painted them in the summer sun when it was 103 degrees outside. And I also did the run cycle as directed just to help cure them from the inside out. Also a great prep surface is the key to getting paint to bond forever. :chevy:

Saclandman 01-26-2014 11:35 PM

Installed my new engine harness, and got the old boy fired up..kinda. Took a lot of fiddling with the timing, but finally got it sputtering with the accelator smashed to the floor. Looked down the carb, pumped the throttle, and just a little bit of gas is dribbling out. I just rebuilt the carb too. It was shooting a nice jet out right after I got it back on the engine. Now, just dribbling. Guess I have to pull the carb apart again.

But it ran, yippee!!!

Mike_The_Grad 01-27-2014 02:12 AM

Awesome thanx again @elliot949 @TeX Jake much appreciated. I'm in so. Cal. And its been really nice weather lately. i.e. 70°-80°. I even have a space heather that can supply the heat over night.

First c10 01-27-2014 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Puts some paint down before we install the new motor!!!!

jmorri34 01-27-2014 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took her on a ride around town, went to the folks house and to get pizzas for dinner before the icepocalyps hits here in houston and the city falls apart!!!:haha:

VWNate1 01-27-2014 07:25 PM

Hooked up the trailer and drove out to Adam's and bought my new cab ! :metal: .

Now I have to wait until Thursday or Friday to take it to the body shop and see what he wants to replace it .

jmorri34 01-27-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6491750)

That looks really good, I have been struggling on how to strip all the old paint off my truck it needs to go to metal. All in all did the stripper work well for you and what did you use in the sanding process thanks Jerry

VWNate1 01-27-2014 09:57 PM

Re : Chemical Stripping

Just be EXTREMELY CAREFUL of chemical burns ! I first used " Aircraft Remover " in the 1960's and got some on my hands and arms , boy howdy was that a bad burn and hurt like the dickens because no water or anything else to remove it from my skin .

Ridgeclimber 01-28-2014 12:49 AM

The aircraft stripper I used worked pretty good. I roughed up the paint with 40 grit just to open up the paint to let the stripper soak in. I had about three coats of old paint on. So it took a coat of stripper for each coat of old paint. Once I scrapped off as much as I could I used 80 grit to remove the rest. Like the previous post said, be careful with it. It will eat through light latex gloves, your clothes et,. were goggles, use in well ventilated area and/or use a respirator.

Elliot949 01-28-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6494679)
The aircraft stripper I used worked pretty good. I roughed up the paint with 40 grit just to open up the paint to let the stripper soak in. I had about three coats of old paint on. So it took a coat of stripper for each coat of old paint. Once I scrapped off as much as I could I used 80 grit to remove the rest. Like the previous post said, be careful with it. It will eat through light latex gloves, your clothes et,. were goggles, use in well ventilated area and/or use a respirator.

Or do like I do and take it to a media blaster and spend the 300.00 and get nice clean parts back... LOL

Ridgeclimber 01-28-2014 09:33 AM

I looked into getting it blasted. There's a company not too faraway that does it. I was quotes about $125 to $150 a panel. So it would add up pretty quick.

Elliot949 01-28-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6494945)
I looked into getting it blasted. There's a company not too faraway that does it. I was quotes about $125 to $150 a panel. So it would add up pretty quick.

Typically if you do it all at one time they will cut the deal... I was quoted 125 for fenders and grill and 150 for the hood but they did all 4 pieces for 300...

bigguy69 01-28-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy4639 (Post 6491691)
yesterday i drove the truck to our local chapter of chevy trucks meet in greenville sc along with some others! First drive since the 6.0 lsx motor install!;):chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/dscf0374.jpg

you are going to have to change your fender emblems now. Looks good

Ridgeclimber 01-28-2014 10:24 AM

Does anybody know of a LSX 6 litre emblem that we could use?

texjake 01-28-2014 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6495009)
Does anybody know of a LSX 6 litre emblem that we could use?

I don't think they make a LSX 6.0 liter fender badge. There are LSX badges out there but not coupled with the 6.0 liter. :chevy:

jmorri34 01-28-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6494951)
Typically if you do it all at one time they will cut the deal... I was quoted 125 for fenders and grill and 150 for the hood but they did all 4 pieces for 300...

I dont think there is a media blaster around the spring tx area where I live or I would, plus the whole truck has to be strippd and I think by using a little elbow grease I should be able to do it myself. Although sure would be easier to have it blasted, as well as cleaner!

jmorri34 01-28-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeclimber (Post 6494679)

Awesome thanks for the information, I have a bit till I have to get to it but this will help

9teen69 01-28-2014 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New u-joints and carrier bearing. Should have bought a puller($30)...local brake shop pulled it off and stripped out my threads...now I know why they didn't charge me. $65 later at Scottys Driveshaft fixed the problem...they are the best.

Whooped my butt for awhile...as always the search button was most helpful.

54blackhornet 01-28-2014 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my wheels back from powder-coating, they look a lot cleaner now !:metal:

OregonNed 01-28-2014 04:37 PM

I test fitted my new seat and figured our how far up I needed to mount my floor shift:

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psa63c32a8.jpg

Then removed it and began the fat mat installation:

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...pscb1da9c9.jpg

Then laid the new carpet in to test fit:

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5784b7c9.jpg