The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

VWNate1 01-28-2014 10:49 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Be aware that media blasting creates heat and can warp panels WAY beyond salvage ~ I've seen this happen many times , even though the company said " yeah , yeah ~ we've been doing this for 20 years and never ruined a panel yet " .

Once your original panels are ruined , you're going to wish you'd chem stripped instead .

Mike_The_Grad 01-31-2014 12:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This was 2 days ago. My first successful engine/trans pull. Had a couple buddies with a lot more experience than me, over to help. And I'm very glad they showed up. Saved me from making a very time consuming mistake since I was going to just yank the distributor out without finding tdc on #1 piston! Now begins the fun part! CLEANING! then paint. Also found out my timing chain cover is missing my degree timer. So now I gotta pull balancer and water pump.just one more thing to do... but it needs to be done. Might as well do it while its out in the open. I'm really excited to see how this is all gonna turn out. More pics soon to come

VWNate1 01-31-2014 03:11 PM

Grimy but not really bad , it'll look great when you're finished .

Did you remove the entire front clip as one piece ? .

texjake 01-31-2014 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Flowmasters came in today & got them installed. It sounds so much better now! And yes my interior is still gutted, waiting on parts to come in. :chevy:

BugzC10 01-31-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6501696)
My Flowmasters came in today & got them installed. It sounds so much better now! And yes my interior is still gutted, waiting on parts to come in. :chevy:

Which one did you get and how bout a sound clip / video.

ole dollor 01-31-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6501696)

need to drop by and see what you have done so far.....how far away are you from street use ... ole dollor is at the trans shop fixing a small drip right now...took her today and will try and pick her up on Monday..

texjake 02-01-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 6501771)

I got the 40 series & its not as loud as I thought it was going to be. I don't know if it's because I've got a long bed & the fact I'm running them all the way out back & didn't center dump them. I just know they sound better than the Flo-Pro's the PO had installed on the truck. And I don't get any drone in the cab either. In fact I can't really hear them until I step out of the cab & walk back towards the rear of the truck. I'll try to get a sound/video clip tomorrow. :chevy:

texjake 02-01-2014 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 6501783)
need to drop by and see what you have done so far.....how far away are you from street use ... ole dollor is at the trans shop fixing a small drip right now...took her today and will try and pick her up on Monday..

Hey, Ole, I'm still far away from being street ready, since the weather wont co-operate & Ive got my dash & interior gutted out & still waiting on interior parts. I took a big chance today and drove it across town to the muffler shop get my Flowmasters installed. And the weather doesn't look to be any better next week either, I'll sure be glad when Spring gets here. :chevy:

BugzC10 02-01-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6502139)
I got the 40 series & its not as loud as I thought it was going to be. I don't know if it's because I've got a long bed & the fact I'm running them all the way out back & didn't center dump them. I just know they sound better than the Flo-Pro's the PO had installed on the truck. And I don't get any drone in the cab either. In fact I can't really hear them until I step out of the cab & walk back towards the rear of the truck. I'll try to get a sound/video clip tomorrow. :chevy:

Running them out the back is exactly why they don't sound as loud as dumping them under the bed/axle. I have the 40s dumped under bed. Love the cam sound with the dual exhaust at idle, but wonder if it is going to be annoying while cruising. (haven't driven er much)
Sounds like you might mis that rumble under the truck...:lol:

tomshortwide69 02-01-2014 12:49 PM

http://170

texjake 02-01-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 6502275)
Running them out the back is exactly why they don't sound as loud as dumping them under the bed/axle. I have the 40s dumped under bed. Love the cam sound with the dual exhaust at idle, but wonder if it is going to be annoying while cruising. (haven't driven er much)
Sounds like you might mis that rumble under the truck...:lol:

I am sure it will get louder the more I drive it. I'm not sure I'll miss the done or rumble. I plan on taking it on some long road trips & don't want to be droned out by the time I get to my destination. Out here where I live it's a good 45 miles between towns & nothing much in between. So that's a long trip of being constantly droned out on the highway. :chevy:

Lou Boffa 02-01-2014 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
couldn't help it. I'm a sucker for truck bling. Installed core support filler plates.

ole dollor 02-01-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Boffa (Post 6503027)
couldn't help it. I'm a sucker for truck bling. Installed core support filler plates.

your bling looks really good...I like it. nice truck also.

Econman 02-01-2014 06:54 PM

Haven't worked on it today. The rolling chassis is completed (rebuilt rears, new suspension, all grade 8 stainless hardware, stainless brake lines, stainless fuel lines, everything powder coated including rally wheels.

Engine block, crank, rods/pistons and heads all in the machine shop. Just waiting to get them back to start building the engine back...

I discovered a '72 Super C20 today. Was sold to a recycling center for scrap metal. Complete truck. Quite a bit of rust, but otherwise pretty straight. Camper Special with dual tanks. I'm hoping to buy the door panels out of it - they're in nice condition with wood grain inserts. If it isn't bought soon, I guess it will be crushed. It's been parked adjacent to the crusher awaiting a possible buyer for several months.

Lou Boffa 02-01-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 6503074)
your bling looks really good...I like it. nice truck also.

Thanks Dollar. Long steppers rock.

Lanman1972 02-01-2014 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made a sign to light up the Truck's side of the garage. Laser cut 1/8" aluminum plate, translucent acrylic, with LED backlight. Orange/White/Orange to match the truck.

ole dollor 02-01-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 6503232)
I made a sign to light up the Truck's side of the garage. Laser cut 1/8" aluminum plate, translucent acrylic, with LED backlight. Orange/White/Orange to match the truck.

now that's a cool sign...like it

texjake 02-01-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 6501771)

Here is a video clip. The clip may not be very loud, it's iPhone video quality if you know what I mean. I know it's not super loud but sure sounds a heck of a lot better than what the PO had on there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QrWmi9pps :chevy:

magwakeenercew2jh 02-01-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6503429)
Here is a video clip. The clip may not be very loud, it's iPhone video quality if you know what I mean. I know it's not super loud but sure sounds a heck of a lot better than what the PO had on there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QrWmi9pps :chevy:

Your sound is amazingly consistent with the 300hp 350, 2.5" pipes into two 40 series Flowmasters that made this sound on the last truck of mine (a '72).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRy_sAmJYo

Just because...long story...I'm running 2.25 inch pipes thru the same series Flowmaster mufflers (also all the way out the back) on the current
build, RAT. I don't have a sound clip, but the 350 in RAT is way less cammed up. It makes far less noise. To me, that's unfortunate. :lol::lol:

I did use an extremely heavy dose of sound deadener in RAT. So, we'll see what happens to the sound inside the cab with the 2.25" pipes after
the motor work.

texjake 02-01-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6503504)
Your sound is amazingly consistent with the 300hp 350, 2.5" pipes into two 40 series Flowmasters that made this sound on the last truck of mine (a '72).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRy_sAmJYo

Just because...long story...I'm running 2.25 inch pipes thru the same series Flowmaster mufflers (also all the way out the back) on the current
build, RAT. I don't have a sound clip, but the 350 in RAT is way less cammed up. It makes far less noise. To me, that's unfortunate. :lol::lol:

I did use an extremely heavy dose of sound deadener in RAT. So, we'll see what happens to the sound inside the cab with the 2.25" pipes after
the motor work.

The link to your video is set to private and I cannot play it. :chevy:

magwakeenercew2jh 02-01-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6503517)
The link to your video is set to private and I cannot play it. :chevy:

Thanks. Should be fixed now......Sorry.

88fordf150 02-02-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 6503232)

Cool project!

Burgie70 02-02-2014 05:26 PM

I put on a new fuel pump. What a pain trying to keep that rod up in there and get the gaskets situated. Required another set of hands from my friend. Now I know why people go with an electric one.:lol:

Bob B. 02-02-2014 06:41 PM

Went for a drive, gassed it up, and washed it!

BugzC10 02-02-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6503429)

Sounds like a healthy Chevy "BIG" Block....:metal: