The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Progress to date!!! Picts included (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=161462)

BubbaGreen 06-24-2005 12:21 PM

Progress to date!!! Picts included

5 Attachment(s)
here is few picts of my restoration project.
Ramjet 350 w/fuel door and Early Classic tank under the bed.
Its by no means complete, but at least things are going back
together instead of coming apart.

thecatseye66 06-24-2005 12:24 PM

Sweet! Is that a supercharger?

70 shorty 06-24-2005 12:30 PM

Looks very nice. I like that Ramjet motor alot, should be a nice upgrade.

Joe67 06-24-2005 12:52 PM

Very nice - I wish I was half that far :D

meathead95 06-24-2005 01:03 PM

cool what did that tank set yah back?

Tim240Z 06-24-2005 01:12 PM

Looks wayyyy sweet!!! Very clean work!!

I've always wondered....how do you get the tail gate lettering done.....hand paint, or careful back taping? :metal: :metal:

BubbaGreen 06-24-2005 05:10 PM

I think the tank was apprx $700, rather expensive, but I would purchase another if needed. The tank just bolts in using the factory frame holes, includes a sender unit. This tank cost an extra $100 bucks due to the pump in the tank manifold. Its made out of stainless, includes the mounting hardware (all of it), plus its baffled internally. This tank mounts flush to the top of the frame, meaning you dont have to remove or cut any bed crossmembers....it also includes the rear frame cross member, which must be removed if using a shortbed frame ( I dont know about the long bed frame) ECE states this is a 23gal tank, I haven't filled it yet so dont really know. I ask for an extra bung be installed near the filler neck for the purpose of a "vent" tube back to the filler neck. I am using a filler door/assembly out of an S-10. The fuel pump/strainer and fuel fittings are all extras...so it adds up quickly. I am however very glad to get the tank out of the cab.
------------
as far as the tail gate lettering goes, right now I purchased some vinyl lettering from LMC (i know, i know) but at eight bucks, thought it was worth a try....if this doesnt hold up well, I am going to paint the white in and clear over it...wish I had thought of this *before* I had the clear coat done....but live and learn.
------------

Deuce 06-24-2005 10:44 PM

Ypur doing a VERY nice job!!! That truck is going to be a real looker when your done. Congrats!!

Randy70C-10 06-24-2005 10:59 PM

Wow, some of you guys truely amaze me with the trucks that you're turning out. I've really got to get busy! :metal:

knsmodels 06-24-2005 11:29 PM

Looking good...I must say I really like the color ;) .....Paul

70c10 06-25-2005 12:02 AM

Another fine truck from Texas! :metal: . I have used the tailgate letters on several trucks with no problems. I think they look good.

krue 06-25-2005 01:55 AM

That's a very nice truck you're putting together.:D :phat:

DevinM 06-26-2005 08:08 PM

That truck is coming together great!!! Congrats.
Where did you get the Headers from? What brand? Thanks.

BubbaGreen 06-27-2005 09:27 PM

The headers are made by sanderson....I purchased them from EarlyClassic. At this time, they are only "trial" fitted. The passenger side seem to fit extremely well. The drivers side on the other hand...required grinding of the casting stub on the 700R4 due to the fact the header outlet tilts in a bit more than I expected...spark plug wires will definetly require 90 deg boots with these. They seem "ok" to me, time will tell how well they hold up. They are ceramic coated and look quite nice.
Thanks for the compliments....EVERYONE!!! Will post more as I get closer to getting anything done.

FirstGen 06-28-2005 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGreen
The headers are made by sanderson....I purchased them from EarlyClassic. At this time, they are only "trial" fitted. The passenger side seem to fit extremely well. The drivers side on the other hand...required grinding of the casting stub on the 700R4 due to the fact the header outlet tilts in a bit more than I expected...spark plug wires will definetly require 90 deg boots with these. They seem "ok" to me, time will tell how well they hold up. They are ceramic coated and look quite nice.
Thanks for the compliments....EVERYONE!!! Will post more as I get closer to getting anything done.

Just in case you don't already know this, make sure you don't do your inital break in on a new motor with ceramic coated headers - you will ruin them.

TN70C10 06-28-2005 08:35 AM

Really? What will it do?

FirstGen 06-28-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN70C10
Really? What will it do?

The temps from the inital break-in will ruin the coating. I've seen it happen before and it just causes the coating to look terrible. Not sure if it actually has any effect on the life of the coating or not.

Shane 06-28-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstGen
The temps from the inital break-in will ruin the coating. I've seen it happen before and it just causes the coating to look terrible. Not sure if it actually has any effect on the life of the coating or not.

How are the temps during the "initial break-in" any different than day-to-day temps. :rolleyes:

FirstGen 06-28-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane
How are the temps during the "initial break-in" any different than day-to-day temps. :rolleyes:

more friction = more heat

Can also generate more heat when you are still tuning the A/F ratio and you are running a little lean.

make sense?

Russell 06-28-2005 01:24 PM

Exactly, when you break an engine with a bigger cam in, you are bound to be running lean. My headers never get very hot on a day to day useable basis, but when I was breaking my 355 in, those suckers were glowing like cherries. I broke mine in on some old crappy headers though, if you break in on chrome or ceramic colored headers, they turn a bluish color and just look terrible.

BubbaGreen 06-28-2005 10:20 PM

OK...the sanderson instuctions state to "break-in" a new motor using either old headers or stock type manifolds....Since this motor is new, has the GM MFEI-4 computer that has both an air intake temperature sensor as well as an O2 sensor, if the engine will actually run lean during break-in and/or extra hot over everyday running as the computer should (should but may not) keep the motor in tune. Currenty I have stock manifolds which I could use, but I would need to fab up some type of temporary exhaust pipes to get thru the breakin period.

nitor 06-28-2005 10:50 PM

very nice resto. I like that gas door.

panhandler62 06-29-2005 10:25 AM

Green

I am as green as your truck! (great job man!) :metal:

This is where I am at:
http://users.adelphia.net/~panhandler62/begining.jpg