The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Char-Broil grill (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=586110)

nds1968 06-24-2013 10:48 AM

Char-Broil grill

4 Attachment(s)
I have a Char-Broil Gourmet 3-Burner TRU-Infrared Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006594...5#.UchaoU_iumE

The grill is 3 years old and the trough rotted out and I ordered one in May and have yet to receive it. I am very disappointed with Char-Broils customer service. It looks as though this is a common problem with these TRU-Infrared grills.

I am just sharing my experience with Char-Broil :waah:

lolife99 06-24-2013 10:51 AM

Re: Char-Broil grill

I have one of those grills and love it.
I would have a sheetmetal shop roll you a piece of stainless and lay it inside that tray.
Keep on BBQ-ing!

nds1968 06-24-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6139828)
I have one of those grills and love it.
I would have a sheetmetal shop roll you a piece of stainless and lay it inside that tray.
Keep on BBQ-ing!

That's an option but I think it would have to be solid welded cause when any grease touches the burner it flairs up like crazy :devil:

I layered heavy duty aluminum foil in the trough and it was very dangerous when the grease hit the burners :uhmk:

63burban4x4 06-24-2013 01:56 PM

I've had the Char-Broil, IMO they are throwaways, don't last 5 years. We finally bought a WEBBER about 10 years ago, and I'll never buy anything else.

cdowns 06-24-2013 03:00 PM

i've been lookin at gas grills for awhile now// love my charcoal weber cant get rid of it// but for when theres power outages due to storms it seems to b a good idea to have a backup like a gas grill

all the places i've looked and it really seemed to me that char-broil was pretty far down the quality ladder as far as gas grills r concerned

i'm pretty sure when the time is right i'll get a weber gas grill from lowes

the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of lo price is forgotten

Ron 586 06-24-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6140223)
i've been lookin at gas grills for awhile now// love my charcoal weber cant get rid of it// but for when theres power outages due to storms it seems to b a good idea to have a backup like a gas grill

all the places i've looked and it really seemed to me that char-broil was pretty far down the quality ladder as far as gas grills r concerned

the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of lo price is forgotten

Good advise.

motornut 06-25-2013 12:00 AM

i still see them for sale but Vermont castings can't get parts for them
had to weld the burners back in base rusted out at the join

motornut 06-25-2013 12:05 AM

i still see them for sale, but Vermont castings, can't get parts for them
had to weld the burners back in, base rusted out at the join

TennesseeZ 06-25-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Not sure how a gas grille would be a better backup in a "lost power' situation, other than propane would be easier to store than bricquettes and starting fluid, but maybe there's something I'm missing. Neither one requires electricity does it?

I own a Lincoln gas powered welder/generator I use in power outages, has worked fine so far, but in an extended outage it would be much simpler to have a couple hundred gals of propane stored as opposed to gasoline, which is why I plan to convert it to propane before long. We use them everyday at work, no issues, actually more reliable than the gas machines.

cdowns 06-25-2013 06:18 AM

i wake up in the morning and need coffee// gettin coffee on a charcoal grill takes way too long// i have generator but dont like running it at 4-5 in the morning when i wake up and have breakfast

last hurricane was out for 10days

am still waiting till things are right and can get the GUV (FEMA) to buy me one

TennesseeZ 06-25-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 6141370)
i wake up in the morning and need coffee// gettin coffee on a charcoal grill takes way too long// i have generator but dont like running it at 4-5 in the morning when i wake up and have breakfast

last hurricane was out for 10days

am still waiting till things are right and can get the GUV (FEMA) to buy me one

Didn't think of that. I would use my old Coleman campstove for that, it's the old model that runs on white gas and heats water in a hurry, but I guess the new propane models would do the same thing. I have a pot that brews on a timer so I have hot coffee when the alarm goes off, so I know what you mean about needing coffee first thing:D BTW, you're a good neighbor

nds1968 06-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying about price and quality. I had cheap $99 gas grills that lasted longer than this grill. So buying a $400 + 7% sales tax grill I expected it to last longer than 3 years. I think $428 is a lot of money and if you spend that amount on a product you should get a reasonable life expectancy.

nds1968 06-26-2013 04:52 PM

Well I haven't heard anything back from Char-Broil since I sent the pictures. They have my status as "Waiting For Call Center Response" Although they told me on the phone Monday that I would hear back from them later on in the day after I send the pictures. I sent another message today with no response :sumo:

JointTech 07-09-2013 01:17 PM

i got rid of my propane. I could never figure out my temps. And since they are more expensive you have to use a grill cover. Im lazy as h311.
So I sold my propane on craigslist 3 years ago and bought a charcoal charbroil as a disposable that I dont have to cover or care about. It doesnt have a spot of rust on it yet and every time I add charcoal it lights..

Dont be a hank hill, you know charcoal tastes better. Taste the meat AND the heat!!!

nds1968 07-09-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JointTech (Post 6164330)
i got rid of my propane. I could never figure out my temps. And since they are more expensive you have to use a grill cover. Im lazy as h311.
So I sold my propane on craigslist 3 years ago and bought a charcoal charbroil as a disposable that I dont have to cover or care about. It doesnt have a spot of rust on it yet and every time I add charcoal it lights..

Dont be a hank hill, you know charcoal tastes better. Taste the meat AND the heat!!!

Hank Hill, that's to funny :lol: What brand grill do you have?

nds1968 07-09-2013 06:45 PM

As of today Char-Broil still can't give me a delivery date for the trough that I ordered on May 19 :devil: There customer service is sub-par to say the least. I was communicating with them but they put my status as closed today :uhmk: Char-broil in my opinion is a company that sells low quality products that they don't stand behind. They aren't even smart enough to stock essential parts for grills that they know are inferior :lol: I will say that they are sending me a table top grill as a weak attempt to satisfy my disappointment. Dealing with Char-Broils customer service has been frustrating, aggravating and stressful :sumo:

JointTech 07-09-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nds1968 (Post 6164739)
Hank Hill, that's to funny :lol: What brand grill do you have?

the cheapest non-round Brinkmann king or whatever they sell at Casa de Pot. I think it was under $50. I planned on just getting a new one every couple years but it never rains in socal and then thing wont die.
i needed the top rack in the hood to toast my buns you know is why I didnt get a even cheaper round one.

STOCKISH 07-30-2013 12:37 PM

Holland Grill, that is all. Ive had Weber, Char Broil, etc and they are all junk. Flare ups all over the place. I bought a Holland grill (Indirect Heat) and it never flares and cooks better and more evenly as well.

vectorit 07-30-2013 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this one from Lowe's in 2007, and it is still just as solid as the day it was new. It's the "Char-griller" or something or other..

I've been thinking about getting a built in unit that runs on gas, since the previous owners of my house had one and the plumbing hook up is still there and ready.

Love cooking with charcoal, but there are times when I'd like the speed of gas. Or when I am to lazy or broke to go buy more charcoal.

jmack91z28 07-31-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 6197200)
I bought this one from Lowe's in 2007, and it is still just as solid as the day it was new. It's the "Char-griller" or something or other..

I've been thinking about getting a built in unit that runs on gas, since the previous owners of my house had one and the plumbing hook up is still there and ready.

Love cooking with charcoal, but there are times when I'd like the speed of gas. Or when I am to lazy or broke to go buy more charcoal.

I bought the Char-Griller "Duo" grill about 3-4 years ago. A three burner gas on the left and a large charcoal section on the right. It's been great. Replacement parts are cheap for it and their customer service is pretty good too. They also have electric rotisserie add on kits online for them.

dirtyjim 08-03-2014 10:09 AM

contrary to popular belief gas grills and bbq pits require a lot of maintenance if you want them to last. first they need to be seasoned with vegetable oil before use and cleaned after every use and re-seasoned often including the outside and especially the bottom if using charcoal.
if you clean and re-season then store under a cover your grill or pit will last many years if not you'll be replacing it every 3 to 5 years

leddzepp 08-04-2014 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 6197200)

Do it man, you won't regret it ;). We just moved and the new house has this...I have grilled more in the past month here than I did in 15 years at the old house. Even has a side burner for the beans and a sink to wash my hands. I need to clean it up, grease is already coming down the front :lol: