The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Offset upper control arm shaft (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332316)

PMS 03-07-2009 01:58 PM

Offset upper control arm shaft

Does anyone make or know where I can get a offset upper control arm shaft for a 72 1/2 ton GMC 2wd. We installed drop springs and spindles and need offset for correct alignment.

Thanks,
Parrish

Wrenchbender Ret 03-07-2009 03:34 PM

Re: Offset upper control arm shaft

You might check a parts store that handles the Moog line. Carquest & some others. They make them for some applications but I am not sure about that one. I( can look it up Monday.

Security guy 03-07-2009 03:56 PM

Are you sure you need them? I've got 2.5" drop spindles with 2.5" drop springs. I just got mine lined up yesterday and they said it came out almost perfect. I've got the factory control arm shafts. If you don't need them, save your money for other stuff.

Hammer57 03-07-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Security guy (Post 3185012)
Are you sure you need them? I've got 2.5" drop spindles with 2.5" drop springs. I just got mine lined up yesterday and they said it came out almost perfect. I've got the factory control arm shafts. If you don't need them, save your money for other stuff.

Exactly. Since you used spndles, you're only correcting for a 2.5" drop, which isn't much and should be easily brought back to spec with the original parts.

PMS 03-07-2009 05:25 PM

It was aligned 2 years ago and the tires are starting to wear. When it was aligned they could only get it close. The shim pack is large with only 1 or 2 threads left on the studs. I got some 17" wheels and tires and don't want to install until I fix this issue.

craig24671 03-07-2009 07:08 PM

that's odd to me, cause I put 2.5 inch dropped spindles and coils. When they aligned it he did'nt use any shims and came out perfect, drives straight and true. did you replace your a-arm bushings?

Bus Ted Knuckle 03-07-2009 07:26 PM

Something does not add up there. Should not be that much of an issue. Take it to another shop and see what they say. Alignment is more are that science.

Mondo 03-08-2009 01:54 AM

I put dropped spindles & 2 inch springs without out a problem but when I went with 3in springs the shop didn't want to shim it out that far.

So I forked out more $$$ and bought some upper A Arms from Brothers that are made for lowered trucks and are designed with more castor and camber.

Rides great now but would of been a lot cheaper if I'd done it all at the same time:dohh:

rmcc 02-20-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondo (Post 3185773)
I put dropped spindles & 2 inch springs without out a problem but when I went with 3in springs the shop didn't want to shim it out that far.

So I forked out more $$$ and bought some upper A Arms from Brothers that are made for lowered trucks and are designed with more castor and camber.

Rides great now but would of been a lot cheaper if I'd done it all at the same time:dohh:

Mondo...I was wondering if you went with the tubular upper arm only? Just curious if you also bought the lower arm too. I'm ready to update or replace my arms and found this thread. Trying to make an informed decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

dyrt 02-21-2012 12:36 PM

You can also check rock auto. As for needing or not needing them, these parts are sold as problem solver pieces for stock vehicles. Alignment problems with these and the subsequent style frames were enough of an issue to warrant the r and d to make them. Even if he had no issues before, the new stuff might just need a little more shimming which could put the nut close to the ends of the threads. If the shop is reputable, i would take the advice and get the shafts. I wish I did because it looks like I may need them by the stack of shims that was on my 69.
Posted via Mobile Device

airdale94 02-23-2012 11:56 PM

Dyrt is right. Moog makes them. I have a set for my truck. Problem Solver or Camber Corrector. Ask your alignment shop if they can read the SAI Steering Axis Inclination. It will tell you if you have something bent; spindle, controll arm, ball joint, etc.

68-97stepper 04-15-2024 05:18 PM

Im going to revive this thread by asking for help.
IM looking for the offset shafts for the upper A arms on a 72 c10.

I have called, texted several suppliers who advertise the offset shafts----but when you read the description of what it fits the description doesnt include a C10 (only full size cars) and when you ask---"-Does this fit a c10 pickup" its like you ask about the theory of relativity----no one has a clue.
I know moog used to make an offset shaft but havent been able to nail that part number down either.

Im hoping someone can tell me (so I can tell the parts supplier) what the part number is.

thanks if you can help.