The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual tanks: any way to manually force alternate tank (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=793146)

SilveradoDude 09-08-2019 12:59 PM

Dual tanks: any way to manually force alternate tank

I have the dual tank setup, the truck seems to default to the right hand (passenger side) tank. I have replaced the dash switch and the fuel line switch on the frame and I cannot get this to work predictably, and I need to switch to and use the left hand (driver side) tank. Anyway to do this?

sweetk30 09-08-2019 07:10 PM

Re: Dual tanks: any way to manually force alternate tank

i modified my setup to pass side is a jerry can basicly . i used the tbi sender and pump that was in it to pump over to the driver side and dump in the filler neck vent hose tee i installed . i have it set up on a switch and a BIG red light under the radio so i do not forget its on . also its only feed power key on . so if the key is off it will not pump .

my driver side tank has i much higher psi pump and lines for it to feed my aftermarket edelbrock pro flo 4 efi setup .

in hind sight tho i wish i had set it up for right side main tank as most vehicles now are coming right side filler and pulling in to the pumps is a bit of fun when there full as everyone is driving for right side fill . and my efi lines could have been 3 feet shorter also .

hatzie 09-08-2019 08:58 PM

What year is your truck?

Dead Parrot 09-08-2019 09:36 PM

If it is an emergency type situation, just swap the left/right hoses on the tank valve. NOTE: If you do this, the gauge will now show the NOT IN USE tank as the gauge is switched by the switch and not the valve.

If you have one of the older style solenoid valves, they default to a non powered side, normally the passenger side. IIRC - the motor driven ones stay on the tank last selected when power is lost.

Alternative method. Just feed the hose(s) from the drivers side tank direct to the frame pipe, bypassing the valve.

kipps 09-08-2019 10:21 PM

Sweetk30, do you have a fuel gauge on your "jerry-can" at all? Seems like an odd way of plumbing things, but it is simple and it does work....

A note on the fuel tank sides. A reason to have the dominant tank(the one most often full) on the right side, is that it can counterbalance the driver. The fuel tank and the driver are the primary off-center loads in a vehicle, so you might as well have them on opposite sides. Of course, it doesn't matter much on a one ton.

hatzie 09-08-2019 11:29 PM

If you have a 73-80 truck it's easy enough to change the AUX tank from the LH to the RH side.

Swap the supply and return hoses from the LH & RH senders on the valve.
Unplug the Packard plug from the switch.
-One side of the plug has a blocked off angled terminal hole and a RED and Green wire. This side powers the valve with the switch in the AUX position.
-The sender side of the plug has two angled terminals and one straight terminal. This is the sender switch. The output to the gauge is on the centre terminal and the wires from the senders are in the corners. Swap the corner wires to make the gauge read the proper tank after you swap the hoses around.

This is the dual tank theory of operation thread. It should answer a lot of questions.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754061

sweetk30 09-09-2019 11:23 AM

i did install a autometer 2 1/16" z-series gauge for the jerry can tank yes .

SilveradoDude 09-09-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8590165)
what year is your truck?

SilveradoDude 09-09-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 8590205)
If it is an emergency type situation, just swap the left/right hoses on the tank valve. NOTE: If you do this, the gauge will now show the NOT IN USE tank as the gauge is switched by the switch and not the valve.

If you have one of the older style solenoid valves, they default to a non powered side, normally the passenger side. IIRC - the motor driven ones stay on the tank last selected when power is lost.

Alternative method. Just feed the hose(s) from the drivers side tank direct to the frame pipe, bypassing the valve.

I'd love to do that but how can I get the gauge wired up to only read the driver side tank as well.

hatzie 09-10-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveradoDude (Post 8590552)

OK.
You should have a 1981-1991 NL2 dual tank setup.
This is the motorized valve that'll stay on the tank you select til you switch it.
Leave it set for the RH tank and use that tank. No need to play games with the hoses or the switch.