The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Restoration thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=488144)

LT1 Burb 10-09-2011 11:31 AM

Restoration thread

Is there any way to get a restoration or thread going so that people can post pics and use it for a reference for doing factory correct resto's. It would be nice to see up close pics of what color the scews are for the interior door panels for instance. Somewhere where a question can be asked an a pic posted. There really isn't one specific thread where my 400 questions can be answered, and I am sure other guys are in the same boat, thanks.

aerotruk63 10-09-2011 12:08 PM

Re: Restoration thread

I had something started in the FAQ section but I don't think it was properly labeled. I'd be all for that. After all, we all have different tastes on this site. Would also like to see Literature, Manuals, Books, Brochures, Flyers, Advertisements, Factory Photo's, Posters, Fold Outs, Mailers, Promo's included, for reference purposes and comparisons. I learn something new everyday on this site, especially when pictures are included. Sometimes it's hard to explain compared to seeing a picture of the subject matter. Great Idea!

oem4me 10-09-2011 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The factory correct detail thread is a great idea. Submissions should be limited to known correct details, ideally from original untouched examples. This would be a valuable resource for sure. I for one would be more than happy to supply any photos requested of my original trucks.
Now, as for the door panel screws: It's actually kind of hard to tell, but they appear to be plated, not painted. Not chrome, not cad, maybe shiny zinc or even nickel?

sigshooter 10-09-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 4943738)
The factory correct detail thread is a great idea. Submissions should be limited to known correct details, ideally from original untouched examples. This would be a valuable resource for sure. I for one would be more than happy to supply any photos requested of my original trucks.
Now, as for the door panel screws: It's actually kind of hard to tell, but they appear to be plated, not painted. Not chrome, not cad, maybe shiny zinc or even nickle?

OEM
Ok, I want to pic your brain.. I am building a truck and want to go back as original as I can. Do you have pics of your truck on photobucket or anything? I am interested in what color the fender bolts under hood where... just too many to ask . Pics would be great I may see something I would never have thought about

oem4me 10-09-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigshooter (Post 4943782)
OEM
Ok, I want to pic your brain.. I am building a truck and want to go back as original as I can. Do you have pics of your truck on photobucket or anything? I am interested in what color the fender bolts under hood where... just too many to ask . Pics would be great I may see something I would never have thought about

I need to update my photobucket page with more pics, including the Suburban and engine compartment shots. Here it is anyway:
http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ2QQtppZZ16
The fender bolts along the top are cad plated and clean.

LT1 Burb 10-09-2011 06:31 PM

I think that is the lowest mileage truck on here, it would be nice to see pics of everything , if we could get it pinned and anyone that asks a question , the pic could be posted for all to see and use.

oem4me 10-10-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1 Burb (Post 4944258)
I think that is the lowest mileage truck on here, it would be nice to see pics of everything , if we could get it pinned and anyone that asks a question , the pic could be posted for all to see and use.

I think you're probably right. I have not seen another here on this forum with comparable low mileage. That's not to say they are not out there, in fact, I am aware of several ultra low milers that belong to non-members. That includes a couple under a thousand original miles! ..Yep, true story.

These trucks are invaluable for reference as per how the factory did it. Although, as I said once in an old post, the current quality of most higher end restoration work, especially regarding finishes, far exceeds what Chevy was doing at the plant back then. In some cases, it's hard to believe production line work got so sloppy. Not what some of you want to hear, I know.

Anyway, as far as my trucks go, I seriously need to take a bunch more pictures of both and make them available for y'all. Perhaps we can eliminate some of the guess work involved in a pure restoration. Just gimmie a little time.

A.T. RockDriller 10-10-2011 01:12 AM

Outstanding idea ...

Lets let's try to tag these pic's with year ....and maybe even assembly plant for some things....as you guys know, there were differences unique to location on some things.

chevyrestoguy 10-10-2011 09:31 AM

A Restoration sticky would be a great thing for reference.

Rich 5150 69 10-10-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 4945050)
These trucks are invaluable for reference as per how the factory did it. Although, as I said once in an old post, the current quality of most higher end restoration work, especially regarding finishes, far exceeds what Chevy was doing at the plant back then. In some cases, it's hard to believe production line work got so sloppy. Not what some of you want to hear, I know.

Owning a numbers matching `69 camaro we see the same in the finishes....many camaro`s left the factorys in pretty bad shape as far as finishes......but some of the intriguing questions are if you guys that are restoring keep note of any crayon markings on firewalls, rear axles and so on...even pics of it would be better.

Surfdaddy 10-11-2011 01:32 PM

I would realy like to see this type of thread. I'm resoring my 61 GMC to as stock as possable and would like to see and share what others have done. I'm running across all sorts of things that would be a intersting topic.

1Bad62Pro/Street 10-12-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1 Burb (Post 4943631)
Is there any way to get a restoration or thread going so that people can post pics and use it for a reference for doing factory correct resto's. It would be nice to see up close pics of what color the scews are for the interior door panels for instance. Somewhere where a question can be asked an a pic posted. There really isn't one specific thread where my 400 questions can be answered, and I am sure other guys are in the same boat, thanks.

;):metal:;)
The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4949459

dallas71 10-12-2011 04:40 PM

not to jack a thread but how do you get very rusted screws off of the door panels? What did y'alll do for that?