The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   questions for converting to TPI (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=335120)

tekno62 03-24-2009 03:22 PM

Re: questions for converting to TPI

Well now for the stupid question - would a TPI get me better gas mileage?

71swb4x4 03-24-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekno62 (Post 3216506)
Well now for the stupid question - would a TPI get me better gas mileage?

Maybe a mile or two per gallon more, but not much more than that. The only elements you are changing on the engine is how the air and fuel is being supplied to the engine. The real benefit would be seen if you swap in an overdrive tranny at the same time, or if you like a manual go to a five speed or a six speed if you really want to get fancy.

smoky02 03-24-2009 03:54 PM

I know my uncle has a LT1 in his 78 Camaro, and he gets 20 in town. And that's driving it lightly, he doesn't get on it at all. So I find it hard to believe that I'm going to go from Carb. to FI, and my mileage isn't going to improve alot. Cause I have a 700R4 and get about 12 in town. And 14 on the high way.

tranz am 03-24-2009 04:19 PM

basically just a miniature gas tank. hmmmm interesting thought. so your talking about mounting a stock tpi fuel pump inside of this little box gas tank? and this stock pump your talking about, it is a stock tpi pump right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 3216449)
A stock pump is only about $60.00 bucks at O-riley's. A 350 305 stock motor don't need no more than 40 to 45 PSI. The intank one will go in place of a tbi unt one. I know I have one now for 15 years and it works fine. I've said this before fab up a small gas box to fit under the cab inside the frame rails. Make it big enough for the pump to go inside of it. Put a gravity feed line off the orignal tank to it and have all the return lines and such come back to this small pump tank under the truck. Shouldn't cost that much to have one done.;)

tranz am 03-24-2009 04:20 PM

are you talking about a gen I lt1 or newer gen II?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoky02 (Post 3216553)
I know my uncle has a LT1 in his 78 Camaro, and he gets 20 in town. And that's driving it lightly, he doesn't get on it at all. So I find it hard to believe that I'm going to go from Carb. to FI, and my mileage isn't going to improve alot. Cause I have a 700R4 and get about 12 in town. And 14 on the high way.

Andy4639 03-24-2009 08:15 PM

I'm talking a 86 early 90's TPI motor, not a lt 1 or later which yes you could do the same thing just have to have a high out put pump for those.
Yes build a little tank that would hold the fuel pump with all the neccessary fuel lines running to it and if it is gravity feed then all you do is fill up the orignal tank and as long as the gas gauge is showing fuel your good to go and want need the baffels either.
This car was the first one I saw with fuel injection in SC. It had this little gem in it.
Carolina Rod shop One Lap America car or Panel which ever!
Glen Dodd was the owner back then.

;)

http://www.carolinarodshop.com/Images/BIGDAWG50.JPG

71swb4x4 03-24-2009 11:29 PM

If you get the Jags That Run TPI book it describes exactly what Andy is describing. They run a little tank to prevent fuel starvation. It's only a couple ounces.

tranz am 03-25-2009 10:29 AM

I'll look into doing that thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 (Post 3217622)
If you get the Jags That Run TPI book it describes exactly what Andy is describing. They run a little tank to prevent fuel starvation. It's only a couple ounces.

Jim Osborne 03-25-2009 09:25 PM

Hey man heres my 2 cents I went to TPI Specialtys and got a late 90s corvette ECU and it was real easy three wire hook up, also got a adjustable fuel pressure regulator it will help going from 305 to a 350. I also put my o2 sensor just before my header collector, as for as a tank goes you need to look at Rock Valley they can fix you up with fuel pump, sending unit & tank a little pricey but you get what you pay for, after all you want to drive it not work on all the time