The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Running exhaust (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851310)

Rick Bollinger 03-13-2024 08:10 PM

Running exhaust

4 Attachment(s)
Is there any reason not to run my exhaust the way I have it? Ground clearance is fine and not hitting anything on the frame. Nothing welded or hung yet just mocking it up. Was thinking about going down, under axle, turning out and then back on each side of the tank going straight back below bumper. 2 1/2" 304 ss from headers all the way back.
Thanks
Rick

Rick Bollinger 03-13-2024 08:14 PM

Re: Running exhaust

The U bends behind the mufflers are just on there for now not running it that way.

jerry moss 03-13-2024 09:36 PM

i work in a muffler shop- almost 40 years- and personally i think it's too low. i would route it up through the trailing arm crossmember to get the mufflers higher. cut a round hole in the crossmember and weld in a 4 inch piece of pipe to run the pipes through welding in the 4 inch pipe helps strengthen the crossmember. just my opinion.

cj847 03-13-2024 10:25 PM

I don't think I would go under the axle.

On mine it goes over the axle turns and wraps around both sides of the gas tank and turns down and out behind the back wheel.

Rick Bollinger 03-13-2024 10:53 PM

cj847 do you have any pictures?

truckster 03-14-2024 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger (Post 9295473)
The U bends behind the mufflers are just on there for now not running it that way.

I don't know. It would be an interesting sound.

I agree that it seems pretty low, unless the streets where you live are very, very flat.

cj847 03-14-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger (Post 9295512)
cj847 do you have any pictures?

The truck is at the paint shop, but I will get a pic early next week. It was installed by the previous owner. I really like it. Best design I have seen.

72SB 03-14-2024 07:09 PM

Just a note on the driveshaft....it looks to be to short. Quite a bit of yoke extending out of trans.

Rick Bollinger 03-14-2024 11:19 PM

Its a long yoke. there is 3" in the trans. Only 1 1/4" sticking out. It was too long and was bottomed out shortened it the minimum and now 1/4" shorter than I would have liked. pretty mild build 383 400 HP but no hook J's for me.
As for exhaust I am offsetting the mufflers up. Tail pipes will go over axle then down about 45deg and around fuel tank like cj847 describes. I will post pictures when I get it moved up. Two more 180 degree bends ordered to get them over and out.

Extended Power 03-15-2024 09:49 AM

In my opinion, I agree with the other member in that it is hanging way too low.
My old exhaust system was run under the crossmembers, and when you step back, you could see the entire exhaust system...looked like some farm kid welded it on a Friday night just to cruise around.

New system is tucked up into the middle of the frame rails. Can’t see the header collectors, or anything else, until it pops out in front of the rear wheels. It’s all 3” with 4” exits.

HalfBrit 03-16-2024 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a visual on the crossmember pass through. These are heavily modified Dead End Garage, from Pro Performance. Added a top section to mount the Holohan Hot Rods hangers. As said previously, this will keep the exhaust tucked up in the frame rails.

HalfBrit 03-16-2024 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s another shot of the mocked up routing you could consider

Rick Bollinger 03-16-2024 08:11 PM

Halfbrit I like your set-up. I did move mine to the outside of the crossmember from there it is ran like yours except under the crossmember. It is highest towards the outside than where i had it before. My truck only has a 3 inch drop and stock size tires. So now at the lowest point I have 11.5 inches of ground clearance. When I get to the shop I will get some pictures.

cj847 03-20-2024 09:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally got some bad pics. Hope it helps a little. What I like- tucked up as much as possible, can't see the tailpipes when walking around the truck. Truck is 2.5/4" lowered with 28" dia tires.

In front, the tailpipes are as tight as possible to the frame (ie pipe dia + .5-1") below frame rail is lowest point.

In back, the pipe is aimed down behind the rear tire and is cut off parallel to the ground. They are barely lower than the sheet metal of the truck.

I couldn't get a good pic of the over axle. Here is the passenger side. My muffler is laid flat, but I don't think that matters. Just up and over, then a tight turn toward the outside.

I like that it is subtle and effective.

Rick Bollinger 03-20-2024 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
CJ847 Thanks for the pictures. Thats close to what I want but going straight out of the back. I raised it up as high as it would go. Now my lowest point is right at 12". I did get one side offset kinda mocked up but did not get a picture but here is a couple I got the other day after raising everything.
Rick

Rick Bollinger 03-20-2024 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran back over to the shop and got this picture. Everything still needs to be squared up and hung but I think this is what I'm going with. 12" of ground clearance should be fine.