The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Blazer and Suburban Stuff (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   CA Blazer rear hatch mechanisms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742121)

Jesse B. 07-10-2017 08:31 PM

Blazer rear hatch mechanisms

5 Attachment(s)
I had to make one of these for my Blazer hatch since the original was in pieces and in the process of making mine, I had enough pieces left over to make a couple more. So what you are looking at is a custom-made rear hatch mechanism that goes inside the rear hatch of a 69-72 Blazer or Jimmy. The rear hatch handle slips inside the square hole. Mine look similar, but not exactly, to the factory part. It does however work as good, if not better, than the factory part. It is made from thicker steel, it has a brand new strong torsion spring, and everything is TIG welded (not pressed or stamped). Although it is thicker and stronger, it still is nearly identical to all the critical dimensions of the factory part. This same part was installed and functions in my lift gate, so I know it fits and works. I also show my part compared to the (broken) factory mechanism so you can see how close they are to each other. (The holes for the latch rods are 3/16. They appear larger on the broken part because it was worn that much. I'm only selling the new part, not the old and broken factory part.) If you buy one and it does not work, return it to me undamaged and I will either refund your money or if you tell me why it does not work, I'll try to modify it so it does. I am taking a little bit of risk here because I only know it fits and works in my hatch. It is possible these rear hatch mechanisms are not all the same. If you do buy and install this part, you need to have some mechanical skills to install and adjust it.The mounting holes are oblong for a reason. It takes a little bit of patience to get everything adjusted and lined up correctly. Let me know if you have questions. The price is $125.00 for each one shipped anywhere in the lower 48.

The price is for the mechanism only. The handle shown is not included. I show the handle only to illustrate that the square drive handle fits through the square female receiver in the mechanism. I do not have any of the other hatch parts, such as latches or rods.

Attachment 1669329

Attachment 1669330

Attachment 1669331

Attachment 1669332

Attachment 1669333

1rippen6 07-10-2017 10:32 PM

Re: Blazer rear hatch mechanisms

Nice job!!

dirish 07-11-2017 05:02 AM

That is outstanding! Nice work.

Jesse B. 07-11-2017 09:14 AM

Thanks guys! Hopefully, someone can use them.

flyingcubby 07-11-2017 10:17 AM

Nice work, mine was all rusted and took forever to clean it up. Do you mind if I ask you how long it took you. You must have a lot of patience. Hope they sell quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse B. (Post 7987906)
I had to make one of these for my Blazer hatch since the original was in pieces and in the process of making mine, I had enough pieces left over to make a couple more. So what you are looking at is a custom-made rear hatch mechanism that goes inside the rear hatch of a 69-72 Blazer or Jimmy. The rear hatch handle slips inside the square hole. Mine look similar, but not exactly, to the factory part. It does however work as good, if not better, than the factory part. It is made from thicker steel, it has a brand new strong torsion spring, and everything is TIG welded (not pressed or stamped). Although it is thicker and stronger, it still is nearly identical to all the critical dimensions of the factory part. This same part was installed and functions in my lift gate, so I know it fits and works. I also show my part compared to the (broken) factory mechanism so you can see how close they are to each other. (The holes for the latch rods are 3/16. They appear larger on the broken part because it was worn that much. I'm only selling the new part, not the old and broken factory part.) If you buy one and it does not work, return it to me undamaged and I will either refund your money or if you tell me why it does not work, I'll try to modify it so it does. I am taking a little bit of risk here because I only know it fits and works in my hatch. It is possible these rear hatch mechanisms are not all the same. If you do buy and install this part, you need to have some mechanical skills to install and adjust it.The mounting holes are oblong for a reason. It takes a little bit of patience to get everything adjusted and lined up correctly. Let me know if you have questions. The price is $105.00 for each one shipped anywhere in the lower 48.

Attachment 1669329

Attachment 1669330

Attachment 1669331

Attachment 1669332

Attachment 1669333

Jesse B. 07-11-2017 10:50 AM

It took several weekends to make them. The square drive center took the longest since nothing like that is commercially available, at least that I could find. You can find small ones, but nothing the size it needs to be to work in that mechanism. I had to make that center piece on a lathe. The springs had to be custom made by a spring manufacturer. I had to buy like ten. They won't make just one. The bracket was the easiest part.

flyingcubby 07-11-2017 10:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, I figured as much. You should be proud of yourself. Mike

NorthernMatthew 07-11-2017 01:40 PM

Wow, looks great -- I'm having my top worked on after being stored for many years. If I have issues with this mechanism I will let you know. Have a super day!
Matthew

71k5florida 07-16-2017 09:26 AM

I need one, how do I purchase it from you?

Jesse B. 07-17-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71k5florida (Post 7991886)
I need one, how do I purchase it from you?

71K5florida, I am sending you a PM.

glenn_grrd@yahoo.com 07-17-2017 09:28 PM

I'll pm you very soon to purchase one

glenn_grrd@yahoo.com 07-17-2017 09:29 PM

Do you take paypal?

Jesse B. 07-18-2017 09:58 AM

Yes, PM sent.

71k5florida 08-20-2017 12:10 PM

Jesse, part fit like a glove. No modifications needed. Much better than the stock one. Finally ended my year long search for this part. Thank you. Might order a extra for my other blazer.

Jesse B. 08-21-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71k5florida (Post 8021014)
Jesse, part fit like a glove. No modifications needed. Much better than the stock one. Finally ended my year long search for this part. Thank you. Might order a extra for my other blazer.

Thank you so much for the feedback and compliment! Glad to hear it worked for you.

volkscafe 08-25-2017 06:16 PM

Any chance you have all of the other pieces as well to complete all of the rear hatch hardware?

1rippen6 08-25-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkscafe (Post 8025084)
Any chance you have all of the other pieces as well to complete all of the rear hatch hardware?

If Jesse B doesn't have anything I may depending on which parts you need.

volkscafe 08-26-2017 10:38 AM

I actually need all of the other pieces that it looks like Jesse doesn't reproduce. I need both rods and both latch mechanism's at the end of the hatch. I have the centerpiece that Jesse reproduces I. If you have all these parts please PM me and be prepared to send pictures, description of parts condition, and price shipped.

Thanks, Jared

Jesse B. 08-28-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkscafe (Post 8025084)

No, sorry Jared, I do not have any other pieces. Maybe rippen can help you out.

PDXk5 08-30-2017 01:37 AM

I'll take one. PM me your contact info for PayPal.

Thanks!

Jesse B. 08-30-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXk5 (Post 8028160)
I'll take one. PM me your contact info for PayPal.

Thanks!

Done.

PDXk5 09-02-2017 11:45 AM

Payment sent.

Thank you

PDXk5 09-09-2017 12:38 PM

Received mine yesterday. Looks great! Thank you.

Jesse B. 09-12-2017 10:26 AM

Great! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

70KBlazer 10-29-2017 03:35 PM

Do you have any more latch mechanism available?