The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Very Nice 72 C10 LWB To get Re-Born! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=317904)

1972babyblue 12-06-2008 10:40 AM

Very Nice 72 C10 LWB To get Re-Born!

5 Attachment(s)
This truck is an all original (except for intake, carb, and Steering wheel!) 1972 LWB C10, with 33,340 original miles. My Grandfather bought the truck new, and my uncle got it from him when he passed away. My uncle never drove the truck, it just stayed in his shop for around 8 years, till I finally begged him into selling it to me. It is a custom C10, but no air, no power brakes, no power steering.....he didn't even order it with a radio! 3 on the tree, and a 307 cid. The engine has never been touched except when I put the intake, carb, and HEI distributor on it around a year ago, and upgraded to an internal regulator altenator. I drove the truck from time to time over the past few years, barely putting around 500 miles on it since I got it. The cab corners are the only bad rust on the truck at all that will need metal replaced, the rest is only surface rust. I would drive the truck anywhere, but I know with the age on the truck, "surface" rust is only going to get worse, and if I don't restore it now, it will be a much harder job a few years down the road, so I'm going to try to wipe the tears away while I frame off this already beautiful truck.
For now the only real plans I have is for restorations, but I do want to do around a 4/5 drop with new rims and the fattest rubber I can get under it, the 3 spd is staying but going in the floor, and I'm going to do the best performance mods to the engine as a 307 can handle(I just can't stand the thought of losing a matching numbers truck for better performance). It will get air, ps, pwb, and some modern electronics for better reliability, as I do want to make a daily driver out of it.
I've been a life long gear head, but never attempted a total restoration, so any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated. I'l probably be hitting you guys up a lot over the next year or so, so thanks in advance.

72BlckButy 12-06-2008 11:09 AM

Re: Very Nice 72 C10 LWB To get Re-Born!

What a great looking original truck. Be prepared to get a little heat from the original guys, but as for me, good luck with the rebuild!

You have such a great start, and the fact that it has been in the family since new makes it even more desirable. Good luck!

nuke1 12-06-2008 12:43 PM

wow what a beautiful truck you have there, as for being in the family since new, mine was also, i believe that what ever you do to the truck it does not alter its soul it just become more of one with you so i say do what YOU want and enjoy it, and remember that gramps is looking down and smiling every time you work on it thinking he sure looks happy. way to go

James

67-72crazy 12-06-2008 10:07 PM

nice truck.