The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to mod C30 A-Arms for Bags? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812960)

EricU 10-07-2020 07:50 PM

How to mod C30 A-Arms for Bags?

2 Attachment(s)
Well, as usual my project C30 has spiraled out of control.

What started out as a simple static drop install on my 83 big brown turd has turned into yet another fully bagged suspension on my now new to me 89 C30 (yes I now have a 83 and an 89 one-ton duallys)

The rear will be pretty straight forward as I ordered up a complete 4-link setup from PB Fab.

For now at the front I am going to use Dominator 2600 bags and mod the A-arms that will attach the Bell Tech Drop Spindles

* What are you guys (Scotti, Scotti!) using to install the bags?
I was thinking of calling BC Fab as they are kinda local and getting a bolt in top bag mount.
For the bottom A-arm (pics below), weld in a flat plate across the bottom of the lower A-arm and weld in a cup?

EricU 10-07-2020 07:52 PM

Re: How to mod C30 A-Arms for Bags?

2 Attachment(s)
My upper A-arms

EricU 10-07-2020 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not really relevant to my question, but I sure do like looking at shiny things - So here are the new shoes for the C30

And yes, I make my kids hold up my stuff and look stupid for photos!

SCOTI 10-08-2020 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The duallys call for a heavier bag than a 2600. When I built a set of arms for my dually (from some extras), I pocketed the arms for larger RE-8/Firestone F7325's/26c bags (3"min; 5-6"ride; 9"max).

Despite my efforts to allow for max room, the larger OD bags were too close to the pocket edges for me. You could possibly get away w/the smaller diameter bags on a lighter set-up (sbc vs BBC) but my BBC/TH400 requires ~100psi to achieve ride height & rides very decent. Smaller bags would likely require more PSI which adds spring rate to the mix.

Using the cups adds to the overall spring height which I didn't want. By pocketing the arms, they sat into the arms like the coils would. The way I did mine also kept the 'pocket' flush w/the bottom edges of the arm.

In the end, I wound up using PB's 1" Forward lower arms so I could use the larger bags w/o issue & used home fabbed upper plates that attach under the x-member.

I have modified/stock upper arms. Since I raised my x-member, I needed steering shaft clearance (when air'd out). All the aftermarket arms would have required multiple steering u-joints because the front bushing barrel would interfere w/the shaft on the driver side. The OE arm only required a small clearance notch & allowed using stock straight steering shaft (now the Cherokee XJ set-up).

EricU 10-08-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8819676)
The duallys call for a heavier bag than a 2600. When I built a set of arms for my dually (from some extras), I pocketed the arms for larger RE-8/Firestone F7325's/26c bags (3"min; 5-6"ride; 9"max).

Despite my efforts to allow for max room, the larger OD bags were too close to the pocket edges for me. You could possibly get away w/the smaller diameter bags on a lighter set-up (sbc vs BBC) but my BBC/TH400 requires ~100psi to achieve ride height & rides very decent. Smaller bags would likely require more PSI which adds spring rate to the mix.

Using the cups adds to the overall spring height which I didn't want. By pocketing the arms, they sat into the arms like the coils would. The way I did mine also kept the 'pocket' flush w/the bottom edges of the arm.

In the end, I wound up using PB's 1" Forward lower arms so I could use the larger bags w/o issue & used home fabbed upper plates that attach under the x-member...

I plan on using the 2600s because that is what the PB rear kit uses and what they use for their front kit.

What you did to your lower A-arms is what I was trying to describe.

* What thickness plate did you use? 1/4" is what I was going to use.

I think that is what I am going to do first.

I'd like to eventually go to a full PB Fab front cross member - Just need to pay for my kid's school first ($$$)

SCOTI 10-08-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8819768)
I plan on using the 2600s because that is what the PB rear kit uses and what they use for their front kit.

What you did to your lower A-arms is what I was trying to describe.

* What thickness plate did you use? 1/4" is what I was going to use.

I think that is what I am going to do first.

I'd like to eventually go to a full PB Fab front cross member - Just need to pay for my kid's school first ($$$)

I used 3/16 material. A larger round tube/pipe would be better (corners = possible stress points) but my local place didn't have anything large enough.