The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question on spark plug resistor and also rust on chrome (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807244)

conoco 06-02-2020 11:16 PM

Question on spark plug resistor and also rust on chrome

3 Attachment(s)
Anyone tell me what this part bbn is called and its purpose. I am trying to look it up using the part name "spark plug resistor" but I can find anything that looks like it. It plugs into the passenger side valve cover and all it says on the part is spark plug. I was just curious what its purpose was and also if it needs to be on a PM schedule like everything else.

Also,
Anyone know of a way to get the rust spots off of chrome? Can I sand it all down and then step sand it to make it polished again? There has got to be a way to refinish it. Just looking for tips. Thank you.

Jim Boy 06-02-2020 11:28 PM

Re: Question on spark plug resistor and also rust on chrome

Are you sure that isn't a spark arrestor?

LockDoc 06-02-2020 11:32 PM

-
That looks like the positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV Valve) to me.

I have cleaned light rust off of chrome by rubbing lightly with 0000 steel wool. Some of that looks pretty heavy though.

LockDoc

dagnabbitt 06-02-2020 11:40 PM

I use a product called NEVR-DULL on that kind of rust, you'd be surprised.

SRU1436 06-02-2020 11:47 PM

Looks like a PVC vale to me too. You can also try SOS pads with soap in them. I personally haven’t tried them but I’ve seen others and it had good results.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-03-2020 01:17 AM

That's a PCV valve. No relation to spark plugs. Pull it off the hose and shake it. If it rattles, it's OK. If no sound, replace. They're cheap. Under $5 in Lower 48. You may be able to clean up the old PCV by shooting it out with spray carb cleaner.

In the Positive Crankcase Ventiliation system, oil vapors from the engine block are vented out a one-way valve [the piece in question] and reintroduced into the carburetor to burn again, while cool, clean air from under the air cleaner is sucked into the valve cover to replace it.

I have used Flitz, a German metal polish, on rust on the grillle of my '71 Jimmy. In combination with steel wool, it should clear up. Follow up with a coat of wax to keep it from rusting again.

conoco 06-03-2020 02:28 AM

You guys are awesome, thank you for clarifying both those questions. It rattles pretty good so I will leave it in place. Thank you all.

special-K 06-03-2020 05:11 AM

Brillo or SOS pads work well for pitted chrome. I had people tell me all the time "It will scratch your chrome". Well, I never saw any scratches and I figure the chrome is already shot so how can I hurt it arresting the rust's progress and making the piece look better?

FirstOwner69 06-03-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conoco (Post 8750909)
Anyone tell me what this part bbn is called and its purpose. I am trying to look it up using the part name "spark plug resistor" but I can find anything that looks like it. It plugs into the passenger side valve cover and all it says on the part is spark plug. I was just curious what its purpose was and also if it needs to be on a PM schedule like everything else.

Here's some useless trivia.
I replaced the PCV valve on my '69 350 sometime in the early 70s. I wasn't sure it needed replacement so I threw the original in my tool box where it still resides. It has "AC Spark Plug type CV-758C" stamped into it.

1971Stepside 06-03-2020 03:11 PM

Take a piece of aluminum foil and wad it up. Un-wad it and run it under water then hit the chrome. Takes the rust right off. I was doubtful too, but it worked!!

Stocker 06-03-2020 06:35 PM

When I tried aluminum foil, I had not heard of getting it wet first. Was not terribly impressed with my results using dry foil. I have had much better luck using 0000 steel wool like Leon mentioned.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-04-2020 12:17 AM

I've used crumpled tin foil to clean the grates of my BBQ grill, but never the grille of a classic truck.