The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   That wonderful sound. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=835420)

garyd1961 06-14-2022 09:52 PM

That wonderful sound.

No I'm not talking about a custom exhaust but the sound you get when you thump on the hood of one of these old trucks. That sound alone is enough for me to own one, reminds me of growing up on the farm. I'm half deaf now but I can still recognize the sound of one of these hoods being thumped on or slammed shut across a crowded parking lot.
I don't gamble anymore but growing up I have played a many friendly games of cards on the hood of an old chevy truck. Also the hood has served as a table for many backwoods cookouts. The seatbelt made a dandy bottle opener too.
As I said it's a sound I grew up with and you may think I'm a little weird but every now and then as I walk past my old truck I'll give it a little slap on the hood just to hear it again.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-14-2022 10:48 PM

Re: That wonderful sound.

BBQ Table? Boy, that's what Tailgates are for. I sure wouldn't want a bunch of Rednecks making small dings in my nice hood with their beer bottles...

garyd1961 06-14-2022 11:21 PM

You haven't lived until you go back into the woods and cook up a bunch of fresh caught fish, potatoes, and cornbread( hushpuppies). The food was free, byob, and turn up Hank Jr.
Back in the day these trucks were utilitarian and the hood made a perfect table for all the food. Also they are tougher than you think, you would have a hard time denting one with a beer bottle. That's one of the reasons I never put a fancy paint job on the truck I own now. I couldn't do all the stuff I like with it if I did. I don't like dents but scratches don't bother me at all.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-15-2022 11:48 PM

Just kidding Buddy. My Stepside still has the original Orange paint. Still, I never heard of using the hood for a table.
Ever since I bought it in 1973, the hood on my Stepside was popped up in back. The PO showed me how he [lovingly] used a flattened T-shirt under his elbow to press the rear edges level. After a while, I never bothered. I just figured that's the way it is. Lets hot air out from under the hood. I even had to use a hit of flat black spray paint on the back of the driver's side headlight, to kill the backblast glare.

Around 2004, I bought a pair of NNS [New New Stock] remakes of the 67-72 Hood Hinges and Springs -- made by GM for our vintage. They were reasonable, but I don't recall the exact price. I didn't put them on when I rebuilt the engine. I hung on to them.
In 2020, when my truck turned 400,000, I remembered I still had them. My mechanic and I R & R'ed the Hood Hinges and Springs, and he re-aligned the hood, so it shuts without slamming, and gently pops up when you pull the release. I was amazed at how smooth the thing was.
I used to have to use both hands, get at the right height, hold my mouth just so, and then slam that hood. Now it's like closing the door.

special-K 06-16-2022 02:23 PM

I know just the sound and the feelings you get from these trucks. The sound of these doors being shut, or even opened, and the sound of the tailgate opening and closing. It's all in me. I've been looking at these dashes and out over these hoods most all my life. can't imagine life without.

tutone 06-16-2022 03:07 PM

Around the year 2000, I had the privilige of sitting around the campfire with an 88 year old man with a group of deer hunters.One of my good friend's grandfather. As the tales ensued, he relayed a story of one of his best friends and himself on a deer hunting expedition in Missouri in his friends one week old 1972 chevy C10. Wendall said it was unusually warm for that time of year and this new truck had AC. First time he had rode in one with that. Anyway as they traveled to the farm that evening, Wendal said he got out and opened the gate and closed it as they entered the field. There was a buck and a doe standing out in the open a couple hundred yards like statues. His friend grabbed his fancy scoped rifle from inside the pickup and sneaked out to rest on the driver's side hood to take a shot. The deer were on the other side of the truck. Wendal remained seated in the passenger side while the fellow took aim and fired.
The deer both trotted off unsure of the noise. He couldn't believe he missed until further investigation revealed a hole in the hood on both sides of the raised crease down the center. Wendal said from that day forward he smiled every time he saw a 72 and laughed at his late friend all over again.
Of course I wasn't there , but I smile when I remember Wendal and his new truck story. I'm sure the owner was embarrased and sick at the same time.

yuccales 06-16-2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9091514)
I know just the sound and the feelings you get from these trucks. The sound of these doors being shut, or even opened, and the sound of the tailgate opening and closing. It's all in me. I've been looking at these dashes and out over these hoods most all my life. can't imagine life without.

Well said.

toms68cst 06-16-2022 07:27 PM

I hardly ever turn on my AM radio when I drive my truck. I just enjoy all the squeaks, rattles, wind noise and transmission whine. Of course I love the throaty thrum of my small block the most.

special-K 06-17-2022 08:41 AM

Glovebox door slapping shut. Shifter going from park to drive. Twisting the wing vent open till it squeaks. Change in the ashtray. Window rolling down. QuadraJet horkin' down air!

A1971Blazer 06-17-2022 09:20 AM

I have discovered a way to eliminate every squeak and rattle on my truck
I simply rotate the left radio knob as far as possible in the clockwise direction....

DNGR 06-17-2022 02:41 PM

I love all these story’s. There is nothing like those old days. Much Simpler times.
Thank you everyone!!!

Grumpy old man 06-17-2022 03:08 PM

And I clicked on this expecting a video of a quadrajet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NRsuVPrqQ

:chevy:

'68OrangeSunshine 06-17-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 9091709)
I have discovered a way to eliminate every squeak and rattle on my truck
I simply rotate the left radio knob as far as possible in the clockwise direction....

I have to take out my VA-issued hearing aids when I'm going to drive these beasts.

garyd1961 06-18-2022 04:35 AM

I do respect the time and effort people put into restoring these old trucks but I want one like we had back in the day. These old trucks were a dime a dozen and we treated them that way. Mud, snow, thick brush didn't mean a thing, these trucks were tough as tractors.
Today I don't abuse my old truck, I figure after 50 years it deserves a little respect but I still haul stuff and go off road fishing and target shooting. Every time I drive it I get to relive the days growing up on the farm.

special-K 06-18-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9091797)
And I clicked on this expecting a video of a quadrajet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NRsuVPrqQ

:chevy:

Doowaaaahhhh!!!!!

67 twins 06-19-2022 05:06 AM

For me it's the door closing on my 3/4 ton. The truck is over 55 years old, has been registered in at least four states. It still has South Dakota farm dirt on it. But all it takes is a slight nudge to the door & it closes and latches with a satisfying thunk, nice and solid.

special-K 06-19-2022 10:44 AM

Click of the dimmer switch. Sound if the turn signal canceling. Sliding the cowl vent open...

toms68cst 06-19-2022 05:48 PM

The thump from the clutch and brake pedals hitting their rubber stops. The snick.....snick from shifting gears.

Squeaks and groans from the clutch pedal linkage. (I guess the thing really needs lubrication!)

dmjlambert 06-19-2022 06:13 PM

For me it's the gas sloshing around right behind me. Love it.

special-K 06-20-2022 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 9092452)
The thump from the clutch and brake pedals hitting their rubber stops. The snick.....snick from shifting gears.

Squeaks and groans from the clutch pedal linkage. (I guess the thing really needs lubrication!)

I was thinking of those sounds, too. I especially remember the peddles slapping up on the floor in the Advance Designs. I think I was younger and laid on the floor to get heat after cutting firewood. That is a real distinct memory.

How about the sound of wipers squeaking because you don't have intermittent wipers?

Keith Seymore 06-20-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9092676)

How about the sound of wipers squeaking because you don't have intermittent wipers?

I remember that sound. Reminds me of having a day off school and riding around with my dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 9092452)

Yes - the satisfying "click" of a manual transmission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9091868)
I have to take out my VA-issued hearing aids when I'm going to drive these beasts.

I only wear my hearing aids when my wife is going to be around.... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9091514)

Yes. I noticed that my GTO has a very distinctive "ring" when pushing the hood closed. I can recognize it anywhere.

K

Keith Seymore 06-20-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9091992)
Doowaaaahhhh!!!!!

Sometimes I think I wasn't a very good development engineer.

I could fix anything, but my baseline as to what was acceptable in terms of noises was skewed.

I remember for one of my first assignments they took me out on the test track in a new truck and stomped the throttle. We went roaring off ("Doowaaaahhh!!") and my boss said "Hear that? You gotta fix that".

"Fix it?" I said; "I LIKE it!!"

:lol:

Gear whine was another one. Growing up with your parents driving Muncie "Rock Crusher" equipped vehicles will do that to ya.

K

toms68cst 06-21-2022 06:47 AM

IDK. I find the sound of gas sloshing around in the tank behind you a bit unnerving. At least it's a reminder that you have to fill-er-up soon!

GASoline71 06-21-2022 01:18 PM

I'd like to add the smell from some of these trucks. I now have my Dad's 1970 CST/10 that he acquired back in 1974. When I open the door, the interior has the exact same smell now as it did back when Dad first brought it home.

Gary

special-K 06-22-2022 08:13 AM

Yeah. Then there are the smells