The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   L83/L86/LT swap - what A/C compressor? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840533)

Joyridin 12-16-2022 08:55 AM

L83/L86/LT swap - what A/C compressor?

I am going to put a Vintage air on my L83 in my truck. I have instructions on how to modify the existing A/C compressor to remove the variable displacement and you can run it with the Vintage air.

However, I met a guy at a cruise-in and he said he used this method and the A/C compressor last about 1 year before it burns up.

Anybody running the factory mounting and able to modify the bracketry or compressor enough to mount something like a Sanden off an LS ?

87chevy.com 12-18-2022 07:55 PM

Re: L83/L86/LT swap - what A/C compressor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyridin (Post 9156132)
I am going to put a Vintage air on my L83 in my truck. I have instructions on how to modify the existing A/C compressor to remove the variable displacement and you can run it with the Vintage air.

However, I met a guy at a cruise-in and he said he used this method and the A/C compressor last about 1 year before it burns up.

Anybody running the factory mounting and able to modify the bracketry or compressor enough to mount something like a Sanden off an LS ?

Not sure what burned up, sounds like he had a wiring problem, bad compressor to begin with or poor aftermarket quality compressor...

Ive been running stock gen5 compressor with the factory solenoid valve tied into the compressor clutch for 4+ years zero problems, 2 other builds, no problems. 2 of them use the a/c can bus module to turn them on. 1 with stock 1987 a/c on power, and 1 with vintage air ground signal input to module (that turns on a/c) both work exactly the same, normal.

clint

Joyridin 12-19-2022 09:28 AM

Re: L83/L86/LT swap - what A/C compressor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87chevy.com (Post 9157278)
Not sure what burned up, sounds like he had a wiring problem, bad compressor to begin with or poor aftermarket quality compressor...

Ive been running stock gen5 compressor with the factory solenoid valve tied into the compressor clutch for 4+ years zero problems, 2 other builds, no problems. 2 of them use the a/c can bus module to turn them on. 1 with stock 1987 a/c on power, and 1 with vintage air ground signal input to module (that turns on a/c) both work exactly the same, normal.

clint

That is good to know. I assume all Gen 5 were variable displacement compressors? I know GM mixed - n - matched on the Gen 4 depending on exact the year of the vehicle. They were still using fixed displacement up to 2015 in certain very limited cases.

Thanks!