The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426382)

drewskiren 10-17-2010 12:03 AM

** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

5 Attachment(s)
Lets build a 1972 Chevrolet Crew Cab from scratch.
I have been lurking here on the board for about a year and a half while formulating my ideas for the perfect truck for work and family. It all started when I was lying in bed for 2 months in January of 09 with a herniated disc and I found this site and saw that perfect gold crew cab that everybody goes ape over. Just the kind of challenge I love, lets see if I can stretch myself and pull this off.

I'll classify this build as a resto-mod, I want it to look like a restored factory truck, (that they never built) but want it to have many modern conveniences.

An update as of Feb. 10th 2011: Now I will be installing a complete Ride Tech air ride system with height controls, see page 22, 28, & 79.
Additionally we will have a 5.3 liter/4speed 4L60 combination. All of this will be mounted on a 2001 Chevy truck frame with rack and pinion steering, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, etc.

Update 9-20-11: Painting section now done, see pages 66 - 71 to watch the progress.

Update 4-4-12: The truck is on the road!!!

Update 5-26-12: Go to page 130 for special video announcement. SPOILER ALERT.

Update 8-10-12: Our Crew Cab is in Hot Rod Magazine!!! October 2012 issue page 79.

I didn't want to start the thread right away because I knew that it would be on hold over the summer, (3 kids out of school, overseas mission trips, wakeboarding on the lake, etc.) I started the day after Easter and stopped Memorial day, 2010. I am just starting back now and hope to have a continuous build until finished.
The first ingredient happened to be a rust free California truck that I "borrowed" the perfect bed from. We bought it in March, but didn't pick it up and drive it home until June 2009. I replaced it with a semi rusty and dented, but repaired, bed I got for $100. My son and I drove it back to Memphis from California. The only trouble we had was a blowout. I drove it daily until January 2010, then I sold it after swapping the bed.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 12:16 AM

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

4 Attachment(s)
Next on the agenda was to figure out how in the world to go about grafting 2 trucks together to make a crew cab. 2 doner cabs??? Where to cut, how to make the roof right, how to make the doors right??. After much pen and napkin engineering I realized GM had already done most of the hard part for me. Suburban.
The next ingredient for the frankenstein project happened to be a pair of cabs and doors that were delivered to me for $200 bucks. Thanks to a board member in Brighton TN.
In these Pics are the family to haul around in the crew. The previous family cruiser is in the background, a 1974 Eldorado convertible. She has been sold and now lives in California, what an odd twist.

mrbigdino 10-17-2010 12:21 AM

a buddy of mine wants to build the same truck, he's says it been done with a Suburban body that they lopped the back off of and fused the back end of a regular cab to it. Add a bed and waalaa, a crew cab.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 12:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So the next piece of the puzzle I need is the Suburban. I will end up using the blue and white cab back since it is not rusty in that area, and the dark green truck is donating the back glass & molding and sheet metal from the roof for various patches and pieces.
Ahhhhh, where to find a rust free Suburban???? eBay by way of Colorado, that seems like a good idea!!! Um, hello doesn't it snow there?

Well yes it does, and salt on the roads there make our old trucks rust like crazy.
But what happens if you buy a Suburban from a 92 year old man who bought it new and only drove it in the summer on trips? Aha, no rust at all, and only 73,000 miles!!! I know you Burb guys are gonna hate me, but its not like I wrecked it and now it is going to the crusher. It will live on, just in a different form. This thing is amazing, but I did later find a tiny amount of rust on the drivers floor. You know, the drip rail leaks down the A pillar and it finally rots out a spot at the kick panel/floor.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 12:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Drove the Burb back to Memphis from Denver, and only had 1 hiccup. Blown water pump about 100 miles away. My friend driving it back for me called and so I grabbed a long chain and we flat towed it the rest of the way without getting caught with the green 70 model. It was a really long chain and I would crank the engine to repower the brakes each time I used them. Sorry, no pics of that sight! We drove it around for about 4 months before we pulled it in the shop to teardown. We got a few thumbs up, but mostly laughs and School Bus slurs. Not the best color!!!

drewskiren 10-17-2010 01:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Tearing down is fun and everybody can help. My cousin and his son came over. That's me with the sawzall.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 01:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The first step is to give the patient a lobotomy.

Its all about the details, and part of the factory correct look of a pickup is the thin roof profile. Can't have that ridiculous looking Max Headroom roofline from the Burb.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 10:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now THAT'S a sunroof!

I measured and marked and said a little prayer, then dove right in. The plan is to take out the one and a half inch rise piece that shoots the roof straight up, then weld it back down. Only problem with that is that part does slope in a little, so my left over roof section will be too small. Good thing GM made that section with too much crown. I will make some relief cuts and hopefully it will lay down and grow at the same time.

Time for church, I'll be posting more tonight.

Slick67 10-17-2010 10:41 AM

Subscribed. Looks like a great start to a great truck!!

jbclassix 10-17-2010 11:39 AM

subscribing... love the concept! As you may be able to tell!

suville 10-17-2010 11:51 AM

Nice burb !

Heavy Evy 10-17-2010 12:11 PM

i don't know where you guys get the money or space to do these projects but it most definitely is an awsome build!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr Pops 10-17-2010 01:33 PM

Subscribed! Nice clean Burb to start with!

drewskiren 10-17-2010 02:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quarter panels??? We don't need no stinkin quarter panels.

Battery powered sawzall really makes nice straight cuts. Air grinder with cutoff wheel works nice too for finesse places.
All of the extra parts are going to rebuild other trucks, so please don't hate me.

Maxxd07 10-17-2010 03:11 PM

That burb is/was sweet! Gonna keep an eye on this build.

VA72C10 10-17-2010 05:14 PM

Looking forward to this build!!!

And like how the family seems to be a big part of it!

drewskiren 10-17-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4245487)
Looking forward to this build!!!

And like how the family seems to be a big part of it!

Thanks.
My youngest girl is the one that always wants to work on something with me in the shop. I just knew it would be the 15 year old boy. Wrong. Go figure.

drewskiren 10-17-2010 05:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, time to get serious. This frame thing and engine are in the way, I need more room in my shop.

Board member Thelonerife was nice enough to help by moving it to middle Tennessee for me. The cash to partially recoup my investment was a help too.

In the background is the blue and white cab being readied also.

FRENCHBLUE72 10-17-2010 09:21 PM

Dude Im so in....

VA72C10 10-17-2010 09:29 PM

Looks like great progress so far...are we up to date yet? Are you planning to run a 4th door?

drewskiren 10-17-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4245966)
Looks like great progress so far...are we up to date yet? Are you planning to run a 4th door?

We are almost up to date, but the project keeps growing in scope. Running a 4th door would only add to the complexity. I could do it, following the tech article on this site, but man I don't need any more on my plate. You noticed I no longer have a frame or powertrain, right?

SkullCandy 10-17-2010 10:36 PM

I think you will regret not doing the 4th door.

nickp51chevy 10-17-2010 10:43 PM

This looks like it's gonna be cool! Subscribed.

VA72C10 10-17-2010 11:08 PM

So what are the plans for frame and powerplant? 4th door would be nice I'm sure and easier to get all the family in and out...but I understand it would be a TON of work!

classicchev 10-17-2010 11:52 PM

Looking good.
Did you keep the rear quarters of the burb???