The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 07-31-2018 05:48 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

5 Attachment(s)
I've been using this truck hauling a lot of stuff and driving it everywhere. I had my first issue at the end of June hauling my camper. My bottom turbo is pushing/leaking oil and my air filter got really dirty. I removed the top turbo to put a different turbo on but I will have to redo my piping so I cleaned everything back up and put it back together so I can continue to use the truck. I just can't haul my camper long distances with it until I rebuild the bottom turbo. (I probably won't tow the camper at all just in case)

I finally got tired of my in bed 16 gallon fuel tank and got the 19 gallon Boyd welding tank installed. I couldn't make the marker light hole work as the filler door because my fill tube is so large. I ended up putting it inside the bed and made a box around it which allowed me to put my trailer wiring socket in a better place too. I still need to finish affixing the box to the bed side but it works for now.

I also fixed the rust on the left rear corner of my bed floor. It was rusted through like most do where the bed side attaches. I cut out the rot on the cross member and installed new metal, then put the bed floor patch in. I despise the bed floor patch I got as it doesn't match the bends worth a darn. I'm on the search for a good steel floor for the next Longhorn build. I then welded the LH bed side to the floor. Soon I need to do the RH side. Someday I'll get the bed done......

Dieselwrencher 07-31-2018 06:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Next thing on the list is to get rid of the wood console I made to house my little larry valve, and ditch the little larry valve. That SOB will get stuck and continue to add air when it is in the middle position. Not cool. I'm going to put a regular leveling valve on it with a dump valve and be done with it. Then I need to finish hooking up my gauges, and I might put on borg warner turbos and my oil filter relocation stuff later on. Like the title says, never ending changes. :lol:

My daughter rode with me to and from the car show in Oskaloosa last weekend. She passed out 10 minutes into the trip on the way home. The kids love this truck. I'm betting I'll be building them their own trucks on down the road.

I did find another project last weekend but I don't think I'll pursue it. I just don't need another project. (Is that a thing?) :mm:

6BT 56 07-31-2018 11:36 PM

Nice to see it out and working . My little guy falls a sleep in all our stuff all the time . One time he fell asleep in the back of my old ford tractor. Full metal cab. Screaming away with the snow blower going . How do they do it ??? Lol...

watahyahknow 08-01-2018 08:14 AM

fillerneck looks nice . about the ribs in the floor : cant you get a metal shop to bend up a plate for you that matches the original ?
might be cheaper then cutting up an existing bed (you did say they all rust at that spot)
or buy some extra tools and make youre own :
https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imageba...0078075942.jpg
https://www.rubenco.nl/3582-large_de...kje-zetten.jpg

Dads79GMC 08-01-2018 10:37 AM

Looking good!!

jbclassix 08-01-2018 01:21 PM

I used Boyd Welding for the fittings in the cooling system. I am very happy with them so far.

Same deal with patch panels here... I hate the fitment.

I am interested to see what you do for the suspension valve. For some reason I thought you used a standard leveling valve originally.

Dieselwrencher 08-01-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 8313268)
fillerneck looks nice . about the ribs in the floor : cant you get a metal shop to bend up a plate for you that matches the original ?
might be cheaper then cutting up an existing bed (you did say they all rust at that spot)
or buy some extra tools and make youre own :

I mainly want another steel floor and part of another so I can do another steel floor conversion in a Longhorn bed. I probably could have a patch bent by a shop but that custom one off stuff at places like that around here gets expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dads79GMC (Post 8313394)
Looking good!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 8313485)
I used Boyd Welding for the fittings in the cooling system. I am very happy with them so far.

Same deal with patch panels here... I hate the fitment.

I am interested to see what you do for the suspension valve. For some reason I thought you used a standard leveling valve originally.

Originally I was going to put a regular leveling valve on and then I stumbled on to the little larry valves. I wanted it because it would run the front and rear individually so when I did the front I'd be set. Currently I have the RH and LH bags separated and use 1 valve to run each bag. I don't like it as much as the old leveling valve I had. I thought about putting both rear bags on 1 valve on the little larry touche', but if I'm going to make changes, it's coming off the truck. :lol:

lower50's 08-08-2018 01:07 AM

At least you can still drive it with the one turbo. Gas tank looks nice.

mcbassin 08-13-2018 07:54 AM

Very cool seeing you put your truck to work! Looks great towing the camper:metal:

Dieselwrencher 12-10-2020 09:59 PM

I haven't really changed much on it. I did get the rear fuel tank installed and out of the bed. But I've just been using it and working it all the time.

lower50's 12-11-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8848144)
I haven't really changed much on it. I did get the rear fuel tank installed and out of the bed. But I've just been using it and working it all the time.

That's OK these things happen. At least you are still driving it and loving it.