The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=658918)

Run Away 02-04-2015 01:11 AM

What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

Hello all, first post!

I've bought myself my first truck, a 1969 Chevy C10 sight unseen over the internets. Here it is:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...de/c10/_57.jpg

I'm planning on driving it from Arkansas straight north to my home in Winnipeg, Canada this Friday. Google says this is just over 1000 miles. I might be a little stupid...:lol:

What are some things I should be packing with me for my trip? I've never owned something older than 1989.
Here's my list so far:
-standard wrench set
-standard socket set
-phillips and slotted screwdrivers
-sidecutters
-vicegrips
-duct tape
-zip ties
-hose clamps
-fuses (what type would this truck take? glass fuses?)
-lengths of wire
-jumper cables
-knife/razor blades

Once I get there I was going to pick up:
-jerry can
-oil, brake fluid, atf, coolant
-spare tire and jack if it doesn't have one

Any spare parts I should stock up on in case of roadside repair? HEI module? Fuel filter? Electric fuel pump and some fuel hose?
The seller says it's got a 305 engine and it clearly has a newer Edelbrock carb on it.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...Lude/c10/9.jpg

Any other tips or advice? :)

BruthaMan 02-04-2015 01:33 AM

Re: What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

Nice truck! Congrats on your purchase. You have a great list so far.

Belts, or change belts before leaving. Definitely an HEI module AND coil. Only time my truck left me stranded, the HEI coil gave out. I now carry a spare in the truck, just in case. Might even bring one with you, would only take a few minutes to swap on before the trip.

When I head out on long trips, I carry a blanket, water and snacks for emergency only.

Be sure to post pics on your trip home! I love to see photos from long trips like that!

P.S. Long trips are a good time to run fuel cleaner too. A few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in each tank. Might also scout your route to see if there are any extended distances without fuel available.

leftybass209 02-04-2015 01:55 AM

It has an Edelbrock on it so be prepared if it doesn't have a low pressure fuel pump or regulator on it. You may be gassing up and waiting 15 minutes if it has carb boil, vapor lock, or otherwise excessive fuel pressure that floods the cylinders.

SS Tim 02-04-2015 02:11 AM

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

Greasey Harley 02-04-2015 02:39 AM

Get a AAA gold card. Cost about a hunderd twenty dollars, and they will tow you 100 miles 5 times per year ( back to back to back to back to back, if nesecarry) they will also change belts & hoses, erc. on the road.
Also bring jerkey, cash and a credit card.
Good luck, I do love an adventure!!:metal:

leddzepp 02-04-2015 02:49 AM

Cell phone and a aaa card.

I bought my 68 several months ago and did the same thing. Flew in, drove it home. Not quite as far, but if you get along 20 miles or so you can tell if the truck is running strong enough to make a long distance. The problem I had was the starter getting cooked by the headers while I roared down the highway doing 75 for several hours. When I shut the truck off after stopping for gas the second time it almost fell off the block :lol:

Eliminator540 02-04-2015 03:26 AM

Extra coat, stocking hat, gloves, flashlight, funnel, power steering fluid, multi-meter or test light, lug wrench, cheap tarp or plastic to lay on, windshield wipers or rain-x, grocery store jugs of water for you and/or truck, electrical butt connectors, wire nuts and tape will work in a pinch, fuel filter and hose clamps, shop rags, if you can get your hands on a known working HEI distributor - take the whole thing. Check hoses and radiator cap.
Take it somewhere to get the oil changed and chassis greased, and they will probably check trans, rear diff, tire pressure, etc. Take a look at the radiator and condenser fins to see they're plugged up with road debris.
That fuel filter clamp doesn't look like it's all the way on.
Cool truck, good luck!
Oh yeah, and a huge hammer.

Chuck Burg 02-04-2015 03:28 AM

-spare tire and jack if it doesn't have one

I'll add, make sure the spare tire holds air, Also if it has wheel locks, make sure there's a key to wheel locks, can of fix a flat.

5150.4.67 02-04-2015 05:44 AM

Every tool you can feasibly bring. And twinkies.
A trip you will not forget anytime soon. Congrats on the purchase!

Boog 02-04-2015 07:14 AM

Coming to Arkansas to take one of ours back huh? Lots of good suggestions above. You could never take everything you MIGHT need with you . cell phone charger is a must have and ipad or laptop could be useful. You will no doubt be going through some winter weather so wiper blades need to be checked. Warm clothes too. Enjoy the adventure. Pics along the way.

Ironangel 02-04-2015 07:50 AM

Nice score with factory air! Winter storm crossing the Mid-West this morning, so be ready for that if your traveling I-29 North...I'm 25 miles west of marker 79 off I-29. If you break down along the way from Kansas City to Omaha, give me a shout (If thats your route) and I'll come with tools, parts and/or a trailer...;) "Say, you Canucks dont need AC up there do ya?" Have a safe trip and enjoy the adventure! ~Michael~ 402-245-5327

cla511 02-04-2015 08:39 AM

Makes sure you check the oil regular. When I drove mine back from Maryland she used 2 qt per tank of gas, and did not smoke.

Stranny64 02-04-2015 09:08 AM

A chase vehicle with a flatbed trailer! Seriously, everything above is great. Love the AAA card idea. If something does happen, reach out on here right away. There be members not to far away to give you a hand if needed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
P.S. Bring us back pictures along the way.

steelhorse 02-04-2015 09:08 AM

Don't forget a bit of luck and a camera to take pics.

HSRACER 02-04-2015 09:30 AM

I have done what you are doing two times. One was uneventful and the other was not! Picture yourself stranded in the middle of know where at 2am with no light no cell phone reception and no traffic to help you. Bad deal.

I eventually limped into a Walmart parking lot and went in to buy the following things. I would recommend you go to a similar store and purchase these before you start your trip.

In the automotive section they had a perfect compact mini hydraulic jack with 4 jack stands built into a plastic carrying case with a nice handle. I still use this setup when I do the hot rod power tour. I also bought a cheap case of assorted tools that are self contained in a plastic case and a really good flashlight. The last thing I bought was a quick fix electrical kit that included terminals, ends, and wiring pliers.

I carry all this stuff anytime I am traveling over a couple of days so you won't be buying things you will never use again.

My bad trip included a burnt starter wire at the starter in the black of night and a rear u joint the next night. After getting the above tools I could repair the truck myself after it was on the stands everything was easy to get to.

Here is hoping for an uneventful trip with the exception of great memory's!

Already Gone 02-04-2015 09:46 AM

Have you done your paperwork because US Customs requires you to have the paperwork done 72 hours before you arrive with the vehicle at the Border Crossing. Are you coming back through Emerson Crossing, straight south of Winnipeg? As far as making sure the truck is roadworthy maybe a bord member in the area where you bought the truck would be willing to have it independent mechanically checked before you pick it up.I bought a truck in South Dakota last fall and a board member offered to then took the truck and it checked our for me. It was an 875 trip one way home with no issues. I will PM you my phone number and feel free to call me as I can help you with the Import stuff and probably save you some money on Broker fees.

Mike C 02-04-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasey Harley (Post 7033241)
Get a AAA gold card. Cost about a hunderd twenty dollars, and they will tow you 100 miles 5 times per year ( back to back to back to back to back, if nesecarry) they will also change belts & hoses, erc. on the road.
Also bring jerkey, cash and a credit card.
Good luck, I do love an adventure!!:metal:

I assume you are flying in/driving out? I did a trip like that 18 years ago but rode out to the middle of nowhere to buy a 72 Suburban. Only a 300 mile trip though. Great condition they said. Good tires!. I took belts, hoses, coolant, changed oil before we left, air tank, and my tools. But what I didn't have was tires. They were terrible. First one lost all its tread within 200 yards of where we started from. But the spare held air. Did finally make it home, but tires was my issue. The trip included trading wheels (16's on the truck spare was 16.5) and buying used tires for all the cash we had. $37.50 so the tires weren't much...Small town used tire guy took no credit cards and cell didn't work...

I'd go to a Jiffy Lube type place and have all of the fluids changed along with a radiator flush and new hoses and belts put on.

Good luck and keep us updated!

68shortwide 02-04-2015 10:28 AM

Doubtful, but if you come through the STL area and need help, call and ill see if I can come help. Unless its during school ill do my best to help ya.

cooperhw 02-04-2015 10:29 AM

Truck and trailer.

57larry 02-04-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7033462)
Truck and trailer.

that's what I was thinking because you have not seen the truck in person or driven it around the block

GASoline71 02-04-2015 11:58 AM

There used to be a list on this forum where if you were stranded almost anywhere in the US and Canada you could get ahold of a forum member and they could come to your aid. If it's not here anymore it might be a good idea to post your intended route. Then see if there are cats on here that would be willing to help in an emergency.

If you were coming through Washington State, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat. :)

Bring small stuff you won't think about... like lots of Zip ties, duct tape, black electrical tape, a spool of "baling wire", a few small spools of different types of electrical wire, wire terminals, power steering fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid, couple quarts of 10w30, jug of water/antifreeze.

I also have spare U-joints in all my rigs. Been stranded twice because of U-joints over the last 30 years. I changed a U-joint on the side of interstate 5 just outside of Williams California. It was in my 1971 El Camino SS. All I had was a bumper jack, a set of pliers, a crescent wrench, and a big rock for a hammer. It was not pretty but I got it done. The stock bumper jack was pretty spooky as the front of the car was in the air and every tractor trailer that zoomed by, the car would sway back and forth. I was only 20 and didn't know any better at the time. The dumb stuff you do as a kid. :lol:

Gary

Coley 02-04-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 7033616)
There used to be a list on this forum where if you were stranded almost anywhere in the US and Canada you could get ahold of a forum member and they could come to your aid. If it's not here anymore it might be a good idea to post your intended route. Then see if there are cats on here that would be willing to help in an emergency.

Gary

....I've never seen this list but this is great community effort wherever it is.
That said, (RUN AWAY) post a probable map route of your trip and then maybe members along that posted route will chime in if they are near it and might be of service.
Never under estimate peoples willingness to help out someone when they can...certainly within this (classic truck/car) community.
The other thing I would pick up is a good, new battery and travel with 2 on board. I'd sell the used one when I got home for a couple of bucks to recoup some cost. Its great piece of mind to look down and see a nice spare battery sitting there ready for use if needed....very cheap investment when setting out on the trip.
All Good
Coley:chevy:

Cash3481 02-04-2015 12:34 PM

Harbor Freight has that tool kit for $199 if you decide not to get the AAA card.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-69312.html
If you are coming anywhere close to Wichita, I can assist with any break downs! PM me if your gonna be close to me!
Mike

72MARIO 02-04-2015 01:45 PM

Make sure when you send the title to the border that you keep a fax confirmation in case the can't find there copy. When I brought my truck back from GA the Ontario border lost the title I faxed them but I had the confirmation page from the fax machine that it went thru.

Woody 02-04-2015 02:27 PM

Keep your speed at a reasonable limit. Less Chance of spinning the water pump and alternator apart. I know it is cold, but don't run the A/C pump, don't need it burning up either.

Add a fuel filter to your list.