The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

BASE 01-27-2022 06:19 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9025588)
well, they don't look like they came from rusting out from a field!

I suck at buying used truck parts. Both axles ended up having nothing usable other than the housings and hubs (new R&P gears, carriers, bearings and seals). The transmission got new 2nd & 3rd gears on the mainshaft, 3rd and 4th on the countershaft and then new shifter forks. Oh the top cover parts were all rusted into one piece as well. It is pretty satisfying to make old rusty junk nice again, but I certainly could have picked better pieces to start with.

ChevyGuyNC 01-27-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9025550)
Got a whole bunch of these Tower Clamp Wittek GM thingys off eBay in today. When ever I look at my Chevy manuals, these things are used all over the place on the hoses. I suppose there is a reason why they are all regular claps now ...

Shamless ToTM Plug - Vote for me in the February 2022 ToTM-Fondue Thread :-D
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830167

Voted for ya Rich! You're now in the lead by 1 ! :metal:

Oh and the clamps will definitely help the original look... Dang another thing I have to look for, lol.

Rich72C10 01-27-2022 07:24 PM

There might still be a big lot of these on Ebay. There are a lot of singles and a few multiples but they almost cost as much as this big bag of various sizes that I bought. I really think I have enough for all the different water hose sizes and will have spares too. IMO, I think these clamps look cool.

Thank you for the vote - it has been passing between my 72 and jchav62' 62 for quite some time now. I have to be honest, that '62 is sweet (for a 62 that is LOL).

Steeveedee 01-27-2022 08:22 PM

I'm quite proud of the hundreds of tower clamps I snipped off and tossed in the trash during my time as a mechanic. Even prouder of all the Corbin clamps I trashed. :ito:

davischevy 01-27-2022 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9025613)
There might still be a big lot of these on Ebay. There are a lot of singles and a few multiples but they almost cost as much as this big bag of various sizes that I bought. I really think I have enough for all the different water hose sizes and will have spares too. IMO, I think these clamps look cool.

Thank you for the vote - it has been passing between my 72 and jchav62' 62 for quite some time now. I have to be honest, that '62 is sweet (for a 62 that is LOL).

We have a 56,000 mile truck that we don't drive much. the water pump went out a while back and I didn't have time to change it. I took it to a shop and didn't look under the hood for a couple of weeks. Oh my, screw clamps everywhere. I called and asked where the original Wittek clamps went. DUH, nobody knows anything.

I have been buying the Wittek clamps here. https://antique-tractor-parts.steine...r/Wittek-Clamp

Love your truck BTW.

Jiggers72-GMC 01-28-2022 10:11 AM

Love all the work, comments and pics guys, I voted for you Rich.

Rich72C10 01-28-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9025734)
...Oh my, screw clamps everywhere. I called and asked where the original Wittek clamps went. DUH, nobody knows anything. ...

I have been buying the Wittek clamps here. https://antique-tractor-parts.steine...r/Wittek-Clamp

Love your truck BTW.

Man, I would be livid!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9025853)
Love all the work, comments and pics guys, I voted for you Rich.

Thank you both davischevy & Jiggers for the love on my truck. She has been the most fun in a very long time for me. I get into looking for things, adding/tweaking things and the outside world problems just go away for a little while.

Only a few days left to vote.... I think that "other" truck is going to beat me.

Jiggers72-GMC 01-28-2022 10:29 AM

Well said Richard, when I work on my truck I call it therapy, it really is.

BrentBTK 01-28-2022 01:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nothing major, but I needed a solution to carry some tools and whatnot and storage on these is like hen's teeth. Decided to go with a cross bed toolbox. I'm in contact with a few upholstery shops to see who will make me a nice tonneau to butt up against it. It's a cheapie, but I'm happy with it.

Boog 01-29-2022 12:50 PM

Cross bed tool boxes are one of the best accessories ever made for pickup trucks!

toms68cst 01-29-2022 08:52 PM

I recently had my alternator remanufactured by a local shop due to it's squealing. I got it reinstalled this afternoon and it's finally silent!

Rich72C10 01-31-2022 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have parts pilling up on my shop table! Got my wiper delay box and a water pump for my stock washer Reservoir in the mail today. Still have my tower clamps to put on too! Knowing my luck it will turn cold again on me.

Shameless Ask for Votes
Soooo guys that get pop in here and read this thread, it is less than 24 hours to the end of February 2022 ToTM-Fondue

I am currently leading but only by 1 vote (its been back and forth all this time I think)! Might any of you great 67`72 truckers want to vote for me? I am sure I sound desperate but I figured I'd get on the old stump for votes one last time! I'd be so proud to win :)

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830167

Jiggers72-GMC 01-31-2022 07:51 PM

Good luck Richard, I tried to vote for you again but ..... they won't let me.
I like the old clamps, mine are the same, only new.

Mike80D 01-31-2022 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doing some winter maintenance. Had my original rotors turned, installed new bearings, races, and seals. Threw in some new pads, and figured I’d go ahead with replacing the 50 year old brake hoses, too. As said above, this is my therapy as well. Besides, no one wants to be doing this in the Spring/Summer when it’s time to cruise!

Rich72C10 01-31-2022 10:26 PM

i love that photo!

Edmond 02-01-2022 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did put in some new seats. They are very comfortable compared to the old ones I had.

the67Beast 02-03-2022 04:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
While replacing inner, outer rockers, kick panel and lower portion of A-pillar, I figured I's take my time and get some internal frame coating sprayed in while I had the access. Maybe I can keep the rust at bay for a while now. Here are some pics.

SCHRUMGMC 02-03-2022 04:50 PM

Well, hopefully I’ll be working in my grandfathers old 71 gmc soon

Offered a big chunk of money for it

When and if I get it. I’ll start a project thread and get to work on it

BrentBTK 02-04-2022 08:31 AM

Placed an order for a custom tonneau cover to fit with the new tool box. Old school black vinyl and chrome snaps. Now, I wait!!

Jiggers72-GMC 02-04-2022 09:06 AM

Brent, I like the look of snaps but I don't like to drill holes in the box, what about Velcro instead of snaps ??

BrentBTK 02-04-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9029731)
Brent, I like the look of snaps but I don't like to drill holes in the box, what about Velcro instead of snaps ??

The cover I ordered uses an aluminum frame that clamps to the bed, no drilling, required :) I just took the measurements they requested, and they will build the frame and cover to fit. I'm hoping to have it next week, pics will follow!

Jiggers72-GMC 02-04-2022 09:34 AM

Ok thanks Brent, that sounds great, I'll check that out for my stepper ..... thanks

BrentBTK 02-04-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9029739)
Ok thanks Brent, that sounds great, I'll check that out for my stepper ..... thanks

Assuming all goes well, I'll post pics with links to their contact information once it's here and installed.

OregonNed 02-04-2022 02:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Rear differential is out for re-gearing so I am taking the opportunity to clean things up - new rear brake hose and lines, ne U bolts and blocks - also got the track bar out for new bushings and restoration - replacing all hardware with Grade 8 stuff

Accelo 02-04-2022 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a new carrier to replace the old original single track. Reused the same 3:70 gears. The carrier shims required a lot of changes to get the back lash into specifications.