The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Header Problems (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=720603)

hogfarm 10-20-2016 07:09 AM

Header Problems

1 Attachment(s)
As you may have seen the 58 is in the shop,I have tranny and brake lines install.Next problem are the headers.I have bought 3 sets os far and none will work,the block huggers will work but I can't got to the spark plugs to remove plug or put on wire.I saw a post here yesterday guy doing about the same thing as me,tried to PM him and find what headers he used.I was planning on haveing this truck done last June,now I hope to get it done by next June

OrrieG 10-20-2016 06:41 PM

Re: Header Problems

2 Attachment(s)
Not headers, but down draft Rams Horns work fine. Stock are 2", but you can get repop 2.5" Corvette ones that the stock drag racers use. For most applications under 5K rpm you will not notice the difference in performance. I used POR brush on high temp coat on mine.

tmoble 10-21-2016 01:15 AM

Hog, what's wrong with those headers? run the front 2 wires straight down. put some kind of Adel clamp on one of the oil pan bolts, run them through it. If you build your own wires you can run them down behind the motor mount like Chevy did.

rear two the same, run them down, not up. run all 4 up through a clamp bolted to the back of the cylinder head. and up to the dist cap. most modern caps have male terminals sticking up, put 90 terminals and boots.

I put a set of Moroso plug wires on on my 327 when I built it in 1985. ran them like this on both sides. They were still good when I blew the truck apart in 2015.

If you don't run them over the top so they hit the headers or manifolds and keep oil off them they'll outlast you.

hogfarm 10-21-2016 06:48 AM

Answer to both post,First I did also buy a set of Ram horn Manifolds,I think I found the link from here.When I got them they were so ruff it would take hours to grind them smooth,plus they had holes drilled and taped by every plug.They were so bad I tried to send them back,guy told me no to bother sending them back and refunded my money,they were new,no idea where they were made.But the other day I bought a 1976 pickup for the drive train for my 41 chevy coupe,so I can try those manifolds.
Second.Running the wire under the manifolds is a good idea,I did that on my 54.the problem is the header hits the number 6 plug no way to get wire on .same thing on other side hits number 5.I was going to notch header to fit around the plugs but decided to wait untill I have cab back on to check stering linkage,putting cab on tomorrow
thanks for all the help

Hover 10-21-2016 09:08 AM

Had the same problem with one sparkplug. Simple solution was to use a shorter NGK plug.

1957 Chief 10-21-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hover (Post 7748175)
Had the same problem with one sparkplug. Simple solution was to use a shorter NGK plug.

This ^^^^^

SKFengineer 10-21-2016 09:29 AM

We have shorter Accel plugs on our '56 but I'm not a fan of the Accel product. Are all NGK plugs shorter? ( I don't think that's the case ) Is there a special part number for the shorter NGK's, I haven't been able to find another option to get rid of our shorter Accel's.

From my experience the shorter plug makes a big difference on header engines. If you try the ram's horn route I would check with Eckler's we used the 2.5" ram's horns on our 1964 Impala SS and couldn't be happier with the result. It might cost some more money than going the FleaBay route but you've already burned up money on three sets of headers so what the heck.

Hover 10-21-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKFengineer (Post 7748198)
We have shorter Accel plugs on our '56 but I'm not a fan of the Accel product. Are all NGK plugs shorter? ( I don't think that's the case ) Is there a special part number for the shorter NGK's, I haven't been able to find another option to get rid of our shorter Accel's.

From my experience the shorter plug makes a big difference on header engines. If you try the ram's horn route I would check with Eckler's we used the 2.5" ram's horns on our 1964 Impala SS and couldn't be happier with the result. It might cost some more money than going the FleaBay route but you've already burned up money on three sets of headers so what the heck.

I used NGK #UR4, crosses over to AC Delco # R45TS, this NGK is shorter than the AC, not sure if ALL NGK's are shorter, but this worked for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

_Ogre 10-21-2016 02:13 PM

these are hedman block hugger headers they have plenty of room for plugs and wires
http://www.hedman.com/Block-Hugger-Street-Rod-Hedders

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_1296.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_1292.jpg

OrrieG 10-21-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogfarm (Post 7748126)
Answer to both post,First I did also buy a set of Ram horn Manifolds,I think I found the link from here.When I got them they were so ruff it would take hours to grind them smooth,plus they had holes drilled and taped by every plug.They were so bad I tried to send them back,guy told me no to bother sending them back and refunded my money,they were new,no idea where they were made.But the other day I bought a 1976 pickup for the drive train for my 41 chevy coupe,so I can try those manifolds.
Second.Running the wire under the manifolds is a good idea,I did that on my 54.the problem is the header hits the number 6 plug no way to get wire on .same thing on other side hits number 5.I was going to notch header to fit around the plugs but decided to wait untill I have cab back on to check stering linkage,putting cab on tomorrow
thanks for all the help

If they had the smog ports they were later ones, not the early Corvette. 74ish truck might work, they dump more towards the rear like Sanderson cc56 or cc11.

mr48chev 10-21-2016 07:26 PM

A'll of the early V8 Small blocks ran the wires under the manifold with the front two on each side lacing though between the block and the mount before going up to the plugs.

Up into the mid 70's at least Corvettes sill used the ram horns as Orried G showed and the wires rand down the back of the heads and under and up to the plugs

If you have HEI wires for a 78 Corvette will work No hei and wires for 58/74 Corvette small block wires will work.

dsraven 10-21-2016 08:40 PM

Corvette also had shields for the wires thatran down then forward.

Coupeguy2001 10-24-2016 12:47 AM

Those headers shown in the first photo up top look like slant plug headers on straight plug heads.
the straight plug headers give more room.

hogfarm 10-24-2016 05:16 AM

I have no idea what those headers where made to fit,they could be for slant plug heads.The ones "Ogre" is using seems to be the way to go.Anyone have a part number?shorter plugs will not work.I have not had the time to install steering,but have cab on

tmoble 10-26-2016 04:42 AM

_Ogre posted the link, click on it the small block headers are on page 2 #68366 for the coated version.

there's header bolts available that have small 3/8 heads, easy to work with. Fel-Pro has a set of graphite header gaskets, vastly superior to the while pressed paper type.

_Ogre 10-26-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 7748631)
Corvette also had shields for the wires thatran down then forward.

corvette shields were more for radio static suppression than any other purpose, corvette also shielded the distributor

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoble (Post 7752507)
_Ogre posted the link, click on it the small block headers are on page 2 #68366 for the coated version.

there's header bolts available that have small 3/8 heads, easy to work with. Fel-Pro has a set of graphite header gaskets, vastly superior to the while pressed paper type.

3/8'' bolt heads are shown in the pics i posted, the only way to install them :D
even with the small heads you can't get a socket on some of the bolts
definitely use a good header gasket, i blew out a few paper/foil gaskets before ordering a better gasket