The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Truck tail lights in a burb/panel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=801185)

CG 02-13-2020 02:38 PM

Truck tail lights in a burb/panel

How many folks have put tail light assemblies out of pick ups in their burbs?

I think Rob did it and possibly Frizzle. Anyone else? Just do it for something different?

Bigdav160 02-15-2020 09:34 PM

Re: Truck tail lights in a burb/panel

I am waiting for someone to put burb lights in their pickup :sumo:

:mm:

GMCPaul 02-16-2020 06:25 AM

1967 Panel truck with recessed taillight housing and fleetside taillight lenses for flush fit to body.
https://gmcpauls.com/1Paul67rear.JPG
Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls

04ls1gto 02-16-2020 11:52 AM

Gmcpaul, can you explain if this is a simple bolt in or what modifications are needed

LockDoc 02-16-2020 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-
Here are the truck lights frenched into the rear of the '67 Panel. The reverse lights are also removed. As far as I'm concerned they set them in too far and I would have left the reverse lights but it was all done when I bought the truck....

LockDoc

mcmlxix 02-17-2020 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8679390)
Gmcpaul, can you explain if this is a simple bolt in or what modifications are needed

Looks like the structure behind the light bucket was frenched in a body worked... Probably a lot or welding and fab involved...

GMCPaul 02-18-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8679390)

There is a 90 degree metal tab on back of taillight housing that needs removed, this tab holds the housing out from body, then the oval recessed area for bulb needs to have the metal behind it on body cut just slightly larger than this oval so that the taillight housing will then inset into the body metal. The opening around taillight is just slightly larger than a fleet side so dad ended up welding in a filler plate on sides and then leaded the seams and sanded to smooth it ( same thing could be accomplished with body putty ) Then it's just a matter of screwing housing to body metal using the existing mounting holes in housing then install gaskets and fleet side taillight lens and your done.
For someone to have recessed the lens as far as it was done on LockDoc's photo they must have removed all the metal directly behind housing to allow it to sit that far back into the body, you only have to remove enough metal to clear the oval shaped recess for taillight bulb then the metal behind housing ends up placing housing flush with body when lens is installed. If thats your vehicle LockDoc you might consider placing washers behind housing to space it out further to flush it with the body so it's no longer recessed.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

LockDoc 02-18-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCPaul (Post 8680396)
There is a 90 degree metal tab on back of headlight housing that needs removed, this tab holds the housing out from body, then the oval recessed area for bulb needs to have the metal behind it on body cut just slightly larger than this oval so that the taillight housing will then inset into the body metal. The opening around taillight is just slightly larger than a fleet side so dad ended up welding in a filler plate on sides and then leaded the seams and sanded to smooth it ( same thing could be accomplished with body putty ) Then it's just a matter of screwing housing to body metal using the existing mounting holes in housing then install gaskets and fleet side taillight lens and your done.
For someone to have recessed the lens as far as it was done on LockDoc's photo they must have removed all the metal directly behind housing to allow it to sit that far back into the body, you only have to remove enough metal to clear the oval shaped recess for taillight bulb then the metal behind housing ends up placing housing flush with body when lens is installed. If thats your vehicle LockDoc you might consider placing washers behind housing to space it out further to flush it with the body so it's no longer recessed.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Yes, It's mine. I haven't looked at it real close, but I think they made and welded in a new bucket. I will probably change the tail lights and put the reverse lights back in before I paint it.

Thanks,
LockDoc

mcmlxix 02-19-2020 04:31 AM

Wes from Classic Heartbeat needs to chime in .. I think he had some custom ones made ….

CG 02-24-2020 11:14 AM

I like the slightly sunken or flush stock tail light look that have been posted. But I also like the totally stock look.