The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   cummins swap crossmember (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=607078)

kwin 12-07-2013 02:27 AM

cummins swap crossmember

So why is it so hadr to buy a crossmember for a cummins swap? Avalanche is long gone, Seeman is impossibile to deal with , can't e-mail , full voice mail. Anyone who sells one is either gone , hard to deal with or insanely expensive.
I was hoping to have a crossmember that was nearly bolt in, I have limited shop time right now and I would like to get the engine mounted and t case mount mocked in a weekend.
Once I had the engine in a rolling chassis it would be a lot easier to deal with.
Anyone know of a company with a good reputation or an indvidual who makes a set up?

Thanks
Keith

brimc 12-07-2013 08:58 AM

Re: cummins swap crossmember

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwin (Post 6405972)
So why is it so hadr to buy a crossmember for a cummins swap? Avalanche is long gone, Seeman is impossibile to deal with , can't e-mail , full voice mail. Anyone who sells one is either gone , hard to deal with or insanely expensive.
I was hoping to have a crossmember that was nearly bolt in, I have limited shop time right now and I would like to get the engine mounted and t case mount mocked in a weekend.
Once I had the engine in a rolling chassis it would be a lot easier to deal with.
Anyone know of a company with a good reputation or an indvidual who makes a set up?

Thanks
Keith

Making a cross member for me was way easier than ever thinking about buying one. That can be done in a weekend for sure with the mockup etc. What about the engine mounts? Do you plan on buying or making them? There are lots of options. You could also have it a "roller" without the cross member until you buy or make one later.

kwin 12-07-2013 02:46 PM

I realize it's not a huge job , but I'm starting with a bare frame on a Saturday morning. Rails and cross members and nothing else. If I can buy a pre built pre engineered crossmember to support the engine its going to take some of the stress off. I have to do lift kit, diffs steering brace and more I'm sure I'm not thinking of in two days. A pre built crossmember would speed things along.

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2013 05:06 PM

Call Dawna at Auto World. Is it pricey, yes, but a lot of time goes into making a quality cross member and mount set up. Especially if you make it to resell. Guys lay claims how fast and easy it is to make them but none of them are mass producing them. I always build each truck to fit each truck so my cross members never get duplicated because each build I've done isn't the same. Every part I've gotten from Auto World has been nice and they help me a lot with odd questions. They are very busy so you might have to wait on hold or Dawna may have to call you back. But I'd rather give them money for a nice part than some of the other stuff I see being sold on the net. 406-727-8915

http://www.cumminsdieselrepowers.com/Crossmembers.html

brimc 02-21-2014 09:52 PM

How did you make out with the cross member? Any updates?

kwin 02-27-2014 12:43 AM

I purchased a premade crossmember from rob Bonney fabrication in Arizona . Quality is great and I like the design , it has a removable center section for service. I have everything now . Just waiting for the snow to melt!

brimc 02-27-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwin (Post 6547289)
I purchased a premade crossmember from rob Bonney fabrication in Arizona . Quality is great and I like the design , it has a removable center section for service. I have everything now . Just waiting for the snow to melt!

Glad to hear it is all coming together for you. I hope your thinking about starting a build thread in the "Diesel Conversion" section. ;)
What are you doing for the engine mounts, premade as well?

kwin 02-28-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimc (Post 6547577)
Glad to hear it is all coming together for you. I hope your thinking about starting a build thread in the "Diesel Conversion" section. ;)
What are you doing for the engine mounts, premade as well?

I need to locate a set of second generation 12v mounts. That will cover all the major bits except the exhaust and driveshafts.
And I may have a line on driveshafts.
I will certainly start a thread as soon as I get rolling.

Keith

COS399 02-28-2014 01:22 AM

I have a set for the 24V somewhere in my garage. What are you putting them in?

kwin 02-28-2014 01:37 AM

Thanks but I need a set from a p pump engine I believe.
Thanks

1972K20 04-06-2015 01:10 AM

Do you have a pic of the cross member?

ryanroo 04-06-2015 09:49 AM

This is the original build that Rob started his production off of. I'm not sure if the design is different or not by much, but the skid plate stuff isn't part of the 'kit' Rob is a very nice fellow and does impressive high quality work. His are built to order I think. He has some info on 4btswaps under the name rubebonnet

https://m.facebook.com/1935597507644...pe=1&source=42

boonedogs72 04-21-2015 03:01 PM

have one of robs crossmember,airbox mount, and dual bat trays, have not installed anything yet.... great guy to deal with and awesome products. its not a bolt in deal though does require welding and some fab work

63c102013 05-21-2015 09:36 PM

12v and 24v engine mounts are the same. The only difference was if it was used in a medium duty or heavy duty truck

kwin 05-21-2015 10:02 PM

My 89 d350 and my buddys 91 d350 dullay have/had different mounts form the 3500 24v that I just pulled my nv4500 from so no they are not all the same.

brimc 05-22-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63c102013 (Post 7181201)
12v and 24v engine mounts are the same. The only difference was if it was used in a medium duty or heavy duty truck

12v and 24v are not the same.
1st gen and 2nd gen dodge pickups are not the same.
Med duty, heavy duty, industrial have many different styles as well.

Dieselwrencher 05-22-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwin (Post 7181229)
My 89 d350 and my buddys 91 d350 dullay have/had different mounts form the 3500 24v that I just pulled my nv4500 from so no they are not all the same.

Correct, the mounts from dodge from 12v to 24v are different. But, mounts from a 12v will bolt on a 24v in a conversion. You just use the front 4 holes instead of all 6. With that said, the 24v mounts will bolt on a 12v block as well just using the front 4 bolt holes. If you'd like pics I can dig out my auto world 12v mounts and bolt them to a 24v block. My wife's excursion has 12v mounts on a 24v storm block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimc (Post 7182158)
12v and 24v are not the same.
1st gen and 2nd gen dodge pickups are not the same.
Med duty, heavy duty, industrial have many different styles as well.

Correct as well. The oem mounts are not the same. But, the blocks are all the same. You can take an industrial 12v block and put it in a dodge. You can do the same with a 24v. Cummins incorporated all the holes in their castings due to production costs of several different casting designs.