The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Satellite Radio- XM or Sirius ?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=219807)

Bowtie468 12-17-2006 12:23 PM

Satellite Radio- XM or Sirius ??

Which service would you guys recommend? Also, how do you feel about satellite radio? Love it ? No big deal ? I'm currently looking at the XM Delphi SkyFi 2. Anyone else have this unit ?

Chris

Rollie396 12-17-2006 12:45 PM

Re: Satellite Radio- XM or Sirius ??

I bought myself a Sirius sportster last year and I like it alot.I do alot of travelling in areas where there's no radio signals so this thing is a lifesaver.
Hair Nation rocks!

97silv5.7 12-17-2006 12:55 PM

xm, Ive had it for a couple of years it is great, also the more successful of the two companies, I have the original skyfi works well. with an account you also get their streaming service for free and that includes mobile phone streaming

cdowns 12-17-2006 12:59 PM

it came with my truck when new XM RADIO i didn't use it the truck or the radio to justify the expence cancelled the radio still got the truck

texascowboy593 12-17-2006 01:05 PM

I have a skyfi2 as well. Its great! Been with XM since the beginning. My 1st radio was a Pioneer head unit that cost over $500...They're so much cheaper now!

boatpuller 12-17-2006 01:06 PM

i got xm with my 05 silverado,what i don't like about them in the n.w we have alot hills and tall tree's it gets blocked out once in awhile (signal) does however work well overall. good quality sound...but,what i really don't like is how they have begun in the last year or so to sneak in commercials...and still advertise themselves as "commercial free".

boogie67 12-17-2006 01:20 PM

I just bought a new pontiac and it came with xm I love it.I had just bought a sirus for my old car so now Im putting in my 72.truck

68C15 12-17-2006 01:47 PM

next year NASCAR will be on sirius!!!!!!
they also have a one time lifetime subscription where as XM doesnt. I am crossing my fingers that I get one for my Bday tomarrow or Xmas. on thier website you can get a sportster 4 for $45 and best buy has the boom box for $99. it has game alert so I wont miss a race while out in the shop. and I would get Outlaw Country. I hope

97silv5.7 12-17-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpuller (Post 1947693)
i got xm with my 05 silverado,what i don't like about them in the n.w we have alot hills and tall tree's it gets blocked out once in awhile (signal) does however work well overall. good quality sound...but,what i really don't like is how they have begun in the last year or so to sneak in commercials...and still advertise themselves as "commercial free".

the channels that started sneaking commercials are channels that Clearchannel communications invested in like kiss 21 but xm also created some channels just like the ones clearchannel took over that have no commercials.

72dually 12-17-2006 02:14 PM

I went for Sirius, have had it for a year, and love it. Plus I like Nascar and the fact Tony Stewart has is own show, where you can hear there real behind the scene story's/opinion, instead of that sugar coated crap on the networks
I purchased Sirius for the other shows, but the Nascar is just a bonus as well as the NHRA guys regular visits.... unfiltered

Shane 12-17-2006 02:25 PM

XM here. I have heard commercials only on the "re broadcast channels" ...meaning the ones such as Fox News, ESPN, CNN, etc. I haven't heard any commercials on the music only channels. Then again, I use my XM mostly talk radio only. My music is on my Ipod.

piecesparts 12-17-2006 02:28 PM

Your choice, I have XM and I love it. but you have to decide what channels you would want to listen to. I love the fact that you can listen to the same type of sounds from coast to tcoast.

72dually 12-17-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 1947757)
Your choice, I have XM and I love it. but you have to decide what channels you would want to listen to. I love the fact that you can listen to the same type of sounds from coast to tcoast.

Agreed, you cant lose with either choice, especially if you travel alot

zeeklu 12-17-2006 02:46 PM

I have had XM for about 2 years now and I'm very happy with it. Some of the trucks at work have Sirrus and it seems very similar. I bought a Ipod Nano about 3 months ago and I use it about 10X as much as the XM. Chris

Bowtie468 12-17-2006 03:14 PM

Cool ! :metal: So basically i cant go wrong with either service. I did see a Sirius unit that i need to look into a little further, as for as functions and options. I'm heading to Best Buy to check them out. Great info !! Thanks, guys !!

pissonNOS 12-17-2006 05:03 PM

myself I prefer the Siruis over XM for ease of operations, One thing to consider also is this is a chevy board and alot of new chevys come with XM so?does XM have a playboy chanell like siruis does any of you guys know?

desertrat 12-17-2006 05:59 PM

which one has outlaw country?

79Silv4x4 12-17-2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertrat (Post 1947988)

Sirius - channel 63

79Silv4x4 12-17-2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pissonNOS (Post 1947929)
myself I prefer the Siruis over XM for ease of operations, One thing to consider also is this is a chevy board and alot of new chevys come with XM so?does XM have a playboy chanell like siruis does any of you guys know?

Ease of operation? Please explain. . .

LUV2XCLR8 12-17-2006 06:18 PM

I have neither, still listening to my AM/FM/CASS deck in my daily driver :(

Bowtie468 12-17-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertrat (Post 1947988)

I've heard this mentioned a few times. What is Outlaw Country ?

pritch 12-17-2006 07:26 PM

I have Sirius, but I'm pretty sure either one is just as good. I listen to blues 98% of the time and you just can't get that with regular radio. I do wish that Sirius had the baseball, though, and my very favorite talk show, The Young Turks, recently switched from Sirius to XM:whine:

CG 12-17-2006 07:38 PM

You can listen to Sirius for free online to see if you like it or not. Ive had it for a couple of years. I dont listen to Stern, or sports or nascar. I flip around the "dial" alot on the music (I hate that they have DJ's, I just wanted music) I listen to CNBC alot. I know nothing about XM, but I bet they are similar and either one would probably be fine.

pissonNOS 12-17-2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79Silv4x4 (Post 1947997)
Ease of operation? Please explain. . .

i mean as far as how to find stations and choose them andhow to program your presets and such I am just talking from a personal experience here so my friend has an XM radio and i never could figure it out very good

HuggerCST 12-17-2006 07:57 PM

I bought my wife a Sirius unit about a year and a half ago, and we like it alot. She just got a new Envoy with XM about 3 months ago, and both of us, and our friends think that Sirius has better channels. They seem to play more songs that we want to hear, no matter what type of music. With XM I always end up flipping channels every other song. Plus, I'm a NASCAR fan, so the Sirius is going into my truck. :metal: