The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting conversations... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=790098)

matthew.mcmullin 07-12-2019 11:46 AM

Interesting conversations...

How many of you have experienced something like this?

Random person walks up to you and says. That's a nice truck. I really like it. Is it for sale?

Me: Everything is for sale at the right price.

Random person: How much?

Me: $10,000 (insert your price here). Keep in mind that it is at a premium because that is the only way that I would ever sell this truck right now.

Random person: Are you kidding me?

Me: You asked. That's my price.

Random person: You're ___ing nuts!

Then I just drove away.

Willys_MB 07-12-2019 11:52 AM

Re: Interesting conversations...

Yep, I've had it happen. Most people don't realize what these trucks are selling for and I'm sure we're all happy about it, but the prices are truly outrageous.

I look at it like this:
I tell them a number so that I can get exactly what I want in a truck and still have a little extra since I would have to start looking for another truck. I usually get the same response! :lol:

raggedjim 07-12-2019 12:18 PM

Not me, my conversations usually go like this

Them: "Is your truck for sale?"

Me: "No, but you can buy it if you are serious."

Them: "How much?"

Me: "It's not for sale."

Them: "I thought you said I could buy it?"

Me: "You can... convince me to sell it and you can buy it"

Them: "???"

I'll sell anything I have, but it's not for sale!

Good luck, Rg

EagleChief 07-12-2019 12:59 PM

Not yet, but I haven't had my truck out enough to find someone to offer anything for it. That, and it's not in the best condition for anyone to offer anything for it. Which is ok by me.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't sell it for the right price. ;)

Barnfind46 07-12-2019 01:32 PM

I had a guy ask me about my truck at the stop light and I thought he wanted to buy it. Instead, he wanted to get me to his shop to sell me an A/C unit for it. :D
I think it was Cold Air Products in Cleburne. Can't fault the guy for trying. I have had my share of tire kickers.

jeffahart 07-12-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnfind46 (Post 8557362)
I had a guy ask me about my truck at the stop light and I thought he wanted to buy it. Instead, he wanted to get me to his shop to sell me an A/C unit for it. :D
I think it was Cold Air Products in Cleburne. Can't fault the guy for trying. I have had my share of tire kickers.

The Robo callers have taken to the streets, is no place sacred from those SOBs anymore? :smoke:

j

Ol Blue K20 07-12-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8557371)
The Robo callers have taken to the streets, is no place sacred from those SOBs anymore? :smoke:

j

Nope, I like the people with a foreign accent that tell me to send a $700 gift card immediately or social security is going to arrest me. They get all upset when I explain that "3 meals and a bed, that's great! I'll be waiting!"....lol

KQQL IT 07-12-2019 02:01 PM

A faded C20 doesn't get any real attention. And I'm okay with that

truckster 07-12-2019 03:06 PM

"Nice truck. You want to sell it?"

Me: Talk to my kids when I'm dead.

68panelman 07-12-2019 03:46 PM

I get it all the time, I usually just tell them no, the conversation ends quickly that way. I love the ones who ask if I did the restoration, again I tell them no, it needs to be restored, that's when they get a perplexed look about them and they become speechless, then I tell them they are unrestored originals with one paint job

54blackhornet 07-12-2019 03:58 PM

You guys are lucky ! In my area no one is knowledgeable about our trucks and they have no money. I listened my 71 GMC locally for very reasonable $ and received zero responses. I’m not driving it much anymore and figured i would let it go to another person who might enjoy it...
.:metal:

garyd1961 07-12-2019 04:34 PM

I usually just say it's not for sale. Sometimes they will make me a lowball offer and I will say no thanks I have more than that in the motor.

markwc99 07-12-2019 04:36 PM

I have been asked about my brother's truck. And told them that it's not mine or tell them I'll get the money but they to find my brother to get the title :waah:

HIGHWAY BY THE SEA 07-12-2019 04:36 PM

My heirloom 68 stepside is not for sale at ANY price. (See my GRANDTRUCK thread in my signature to find out why) I have had people approach me and try to buy it, and I simply tell them that I cannot sell my grandfather's truck. That always shuts them up.

If someone offered me some ridiculous price for it I would tell them that I will accept that amount as a consultant/finder's fee to assist them in finding another like it. But sell mine?...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt that I could ever sell my flatbed 67 GMC 3500 either. OF course no one has asked yet, but I have received compliments on it from passersby when I am working on it in the driveway.

YBNORML 07-13-2019 03:54 AM

Had a guy approach me a few months back. He wanted my 72 k/5. When I told him no, he asked me what my “not for sale” price was. I told him I would let it go for $60k usd. Keep in mind we are in Canada. That’s about $78k in Canadian. Guy got so pissed, that it almost came to blows.

Guess he should’ve listened when I said it wasn’t for sale.

special-K 07-13-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew.mcmullin (Post 8557299)

Random person walks up to you and says. That's a nice truck. I really like it. Is it for sale?

Me: Everything is for sale at the right price.

Random person: How much?

Me: $10,000 (insert your price here). Keep in mind that it is at a premium because that is the only way that I would ever sell this truck right now.

Random person: Are you kidding me?

Me: You asked. That's my price.

Random person: You're ___ing nuts!

Then I just drove away.

By that last remark asked for the response, "I didn't realize I was talking to an expert".

I like to tell people either, "Nope, this is my keeper" (because it is) or, "You are looking at a cowboy and his pony". I have never had a dollar amount spoken in either direction. If I get someone persistent after my initial comment I tell them, "If it was for sale it would have a sign in the window so people would know". I've also said to those who say "Everything's for sale" one of two things, "I love this truck more than money" or "I guess that's why you don't have one"

72c20customcamper 07-13-2019 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to put this on my truck at the fall carlisle last year. And people still asked

travisch 07-13-2019 09:54 AM

Just tell them it might be For Sale but its not On-Sale so shoot me a stupid high offer.

JMC1965 07-13-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8557371)

j

That’s funny right there.

Keith Seymore 07-13-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew.mcmullin (Post 8557299)

Every time I stop to put gas in it.

K

special-K 07-13-2019 10:46 PM

They always ask me at the scrap yard :lol:

HIGHWAY BY THE SEA 07-13-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 8557687)
Had a guy approach me a few months back. He wanted my 72 k/5. When I told him no, he asked me what my “not for sale” price was. I told him I would let it go for $60k usd. Keep in mind we are in Canada. That’s about $78k in Canadian. Guy got so pissed, that it almost came to blows.

Guess he should’ve listened when I said it wasn’t for sale.

This man almost assaulted you?!?!?!

HIGHWAY BY THE SEA 07-13-2019 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8557745)
I had to put this on my truck at the fall carlisle last year. And people still asked

How much did you take home in "tips"?

wesmigletz 07-14-2019 01:35 AM

My wife and I were selling parts at a swap meet last Spring, and a guy asked what I wanted for my 67. I told him it wasn't for sale. He offered me $750, with a straight face, for my factory short bed with buddy buckets, granted my truck isn't pretty, but there's zero rust through on the truck. I told him no. He came back later and offered my wife $1200 for it while I was out walking around...

The guy was a gold chainer and reminded me of the slimy d-bags that knock on your door trying to low ball you on your cars.

richards72chevy 07-14-2019 07:53 AM

I tell them that there is a ton of them at the local scrap yard for sale complete and cheap and there is.They usually give me a funny look after that.What gets me is when someone post a picture of an old beat up 4 door 66 biscayne on Facebook instagram you tube etc.Then people start saying crap like who ever is letting that car rot can go to hell and all this other crap.Then you see the road kill guys who pulled a rotten buick out of the thorns and people complain about how stupid they are for that.