The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   The Barn Swallow (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=331766)

69gumby 03-03-2009 10:17 PM

The Barn Swallow

3 Attachment(s)
This is my other toy, my 1951 Chris Craft Holiday. I found her an Craigslist last June. The interior was removed and she had been sitting in a field for a while. They kept putting covers on her as she was pretty clean for setting for a number of years. I reinstalled the interior just so I could see what was missing. Turns out not to much, a couple chrome pieces for the flooring and a few slats of wood to stiffen the interior but the rest is all there. I have never met the PO before as I bought the boat through a broker, that is a whole other story. I am going to meet them this Saturday, they were the second owner of the boat and they said they had motor manuals and other boat stuff I could pick up when I come down so maybe I'll get the missing parts.

72BlckButy 03-03-2009 10:27 PM

Re: The Barn Swallow

Awesome looking project!

And I love the name.... :D

69gumby 03-03-2009 10:40 PM

My wife says I should take the word Barn off.

msgross 03-03-2009 10:54 PM

looks like it's in decent shape... is it Mahogany?

Bus Ted Knuckle 03-03-2009 11:57 PM

Wow, that is a cool old boat.

you know what they say though...the second happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat, the happiest is when you sell it!:chevy::chevy::chevy:

Frizzle Fry 03-04-2009 12:03 AM

That's beautiful! I love that style boat.

Infanti 03-04-2009 02:04 AM

Love those wooden boats.Sure stick out in a sea of fiberglass.

69gumby 03-04-2009 03:34 PM

Yes, the boat is mahogany and white cedar for the white wood.

I know the old saying about the best days of boat ownership but I love boats.To me the best day was the day I bought the boat and the worst was the day I sold it. I have had boats since I was 17 and I have been dieing to get back on the water.

thelonerife 03-05-2009 12:20 AM

That looks nice.Are you going to strip the wood and refinish it or use it as is?

69gumby 03-05-2009 12:02 PM

My plan is to strip the entire finish an replace about four planks, bleach the wood to get an even color than new stain and varnish ( about 12 coats ). I am also going to turn the boat over and remove the bottom and install a 3M 5200 bottom, this lets you keep them in the garage on a trailer insteed of in the water like thy were ment to be kept.

This is going to be a project that will take a couple years.

special-K 03-05-2009 12:17 PM

Nice!She looks great for setting out.What kind of power is pushing her?

69gumby 03-06-2009 12:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Special-K, She has a Chris Craft KLC 120 HP flat had six. The engine was a Hercules IXB that Chris Craft converted for marine use. I have to replace a valve so the heads off at the moment and it needs a little cleaning and touch up, and the numbers match, it's the original engine.

I have never met the PO before, I bought the boat from a broker, but after fighting him for the registration I have found them and I am going to go see them this Saturday to get the papers signed and chat. When talking to them on the phone they said they had the engine repair manual, the boats owners manual and some other item that I could have.

After I figure out how to make this Mac resize my pics from our big camera I will post some pics of the Lipstick Red interior.