The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   87 chevy lift question. ..????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=662673)

AntiGov 03-07-2015 08:04 PM

87 chevy lift question. ..?????

1 Attachment(s)
Currently as I type this installing a tuff country 3" lift on my sons truck. Everyone says I don't need a steering arm unless 4" or greater. I like to make things correct as possible. I can't seem to find a 3" arm but I do have a 4" arm lying around somewhere I think I can use. Sure it's 1" over correction but I think it's better than 3"" under corrected . Any thoughts ? Also where is a good place to order extended brake lines ? I didn't get these ahead of time cause I was told my local napa carried them, they of course don't . Any info appreciated.

b454rat 03-07-2015 08:47 PM

Re: 87 chevy lift question. ..?????

You dont' need the arm for less than 4". Put the lift on with stock arm, see how it sits after awhile. If the draglink isn't level, or slightly lower at axle end, then you could get a spacer between the stock arm and knuckle. Check out offroaddesign.com, they have both I believe....

dieseldawg142 03-07-2015 08:53 PM

yup, x2^^^ should be fine. got my skyjacker brake lines from summit
when i saw your name & lift in the same sentence thought that fine crew of yours was going up....:lol:

Myers horsepower 03-07-2015 09:18 PM

I have the Superlift 3.5" lift on my 3500 and didn't need new brake cables. There is plenty of length.
Your son have a Nice looking truck!

72MARIO 03-08-2015 12:54 AM

Thia is a quote from off road design

We ran the stock steering setup for a couple months and while its function was fine, it had a small bit of bumpsteer so we added a 2" drop pitman arm and now the truck drives as good or better than it did to start with. Part # is SKYCA50 for $95.00.

72MARIO 03-08-2015 12:54 AM

http://offroaddesign.com/action/burly-burb.htm

special-K 03-08-2015 09:29 AM

I'd have to look at the lift arm, but are they a full 4" more offset than stock, or closer to 3"? Although they say you don't "have to", I get what you're thinking. If the steering arm is closer to 3" offset over stock then it should result in keeping right about the stock geometry, which is good. The same lift arm is used for 4 and 6" and I don't know of any taller for bigger lifts. There is stock and there is a range that will work over and under that angle. If you lift 2" and keep the stock arm as recommended you have more angle than using a lift arm with 3" lift. For me using a spacer is a no go and I'm not too fond of the bent drag links. Drag links pivot as well as turn and go up and down. As they pivot (ever so little, I know) it changes it's geometry ever so little. Picture a hand crank. As the suspension cycles, wheels turn, and that part pivots I see changes in geometry that won't occur with a straight part, as factory designed. if nothing else, I'd think the ends could wear faster, especially if not lubed often enough

DWilbur 03-09-2015 08:50 PM

A drop drag link would work for 3" lift. Skyjacker makes one. ORD caries them.

AntiGov 03-09-2015 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went with the 4" arm guess I'll see how it works .if no good I will try that 3" drop

AntiGov 03-09-2015 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still need extended brake hoses and a new steering stabilizer

DWilbur 03-10-2015 03:02 AM

The lift kits I have installed come with a break line brackets to lower the front break lines to the below the frame so you can use the stock flex lines.

AntiGov 03-10-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7083653)
The lift kits I have installed come with a break line brackets to lower the front break lines to the below the frame so you can use the stock flex lines.

This kit did come with some flimsy metal brackets to relocate under frame but I just couldn't bring myself to use them ....I like the stock location and will just have to spend the $ 92 for new ones

dieseldawg142 03-10-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiGov (Post 7083917)
This kit did come with some flimsy metal brackets to relocate under frame but I just couldn't bring myself to use them ....I like the stock location and will just have to spend the $ 92 for new ones

good choice
them brackets are flimsy, & whats a few bucks for your son's safety. new lines will most likely improve the feel of the brakes as well.

AntiGov 03-11-2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 (Post 7084483)
good choice
them brackets are flimsy, & whats a few bucks for your son's safety. new lines will most likely improve the feel of the brakes as well.

Yeah I got skyjacker ones also. They are for up to 4" so should be about perfect. Rough country had some for cheap like $ 35 for the pair but they were good up to 6" lift .... so 3 inches longer than they should be IMO for a three inch lift