The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1966 c10/Suburban Where were the factory grounds? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=789316)

bloo 06-27-2019 05:08 AM

1966 c10/Suburban Where were the factory grounds?

On my 1966 c10 Suburban, I have a negative battery cable with the starter cable running down to the block, and a small wire running to the core support. That is all I can find.

I don't think my frame is grounded, except by accident. Was it when the rig was new?

I dug through a bunch of old threads, here and on other sites, and the results were conflicting. I guess the grounding was different if you had a factory radio? I have seen pictures of straps from the frame to the front (firewall) body mounts, and straps from the firewall to the v8 valve covers, sometimes on both sides. So far I have found no evidence of any of that on my truck.

How did the gas tank ground? Did they just depend on the strap to do it?

I am interested in knowing how it was done on trucks as well as suburbans.

Thanks!

PGSigns 06-27-2019 10:01 AM

Re: 1966 c10/Suburban Where were the factory grounds?

Along with the battery to the core support there were grounds from the engine from a valve cover bolt to the fire wall, there was a ground from the sending unit on the tank to the body. I have added grounds from the engine to the frame, bed to the frame, tail light housings to the bed and the hood to the fire wall. This cured all my grounding issues from the 50 years of corrosion. I grab ground straps off newer cars at the junk yard. They are loaded full of grounds and they look like factory when you install them.
Jimmy

60-66 06-27-2019 10:06 AM

Pick up an assembly manual for one. It will show most of the ground straps. Also an accessory installation manual will have great details on wiring and grounds and what goes where and why. Several other books and drawings. Just depends on if your looking for stock or just anything to make it work

bloo 06-29-2019 03:33 AM

It sounds like everything grounded to the body originally without much frame involvement. That is pretty much what I am seeing. I will probably add the grounds at the back of the engine, and look closer for the gas tank ground. Since it goes to the body it may just be up high where I cannot see it.

I will look into getting an assembly manual. I didn't know that existed. The truck isn't stock. I currently have the transmission out, and just thought I would clean up all the grounds while it is apart, and put back anything that is broken or missing. Everything works except the gas gauge.

Thanks for the responses!