The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Vineager rust remover (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=722038)

chip46wis 11-07-2016 09:19 PM

Vineager rust remover

I believe little of what I see or hear anymore HOWEVER I watched several youtube videos about using diluted vinegar for surface rust removal---I took the chance on a $2 a gallon vinegar and------IT WORKED!!!!!! I could not believe it! soak the panel--covered with paper towels---resoaked and covered with plastic for 3 hours The rust came of with a scotchbrite just as if it was fresh stamped out at the factory!!!!!! TRY IT!!!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!:four::two::ele::hot:

chip46wis 11-07-2016 09:25 PM

Re: Vineager rust remover

OH---and be sure to neutralize the vinegar with 1qt water and 2 tablespoons baking soda throughly dry pre cleano then prime

leddzepp 11-07-2016 09:28 PM

Pool acid (muriatic) works even better

special-K 11-08-2016 07:53 AM

That muriatic is some nasty stuff, though. Also costs more. What I want to know is where are the pictures?

franken 11-08-2016 08:35 PM

5 gallons of molasses (feed store) in the biggest garbage can you can find works for big stuff and lasts for more than a year. A gallon in a 5 gallon bucket is good for smaller stuff. Strange little animals grow in it and it smells odd so bleach helps.
It also removes quite a bit of paint over time.
Once derusted, rinse and scrub the parts and coat w/ diluted phosphoric acid (paint section of the hardware/home store) in a spray bottle to stop flash rust.

CG 11-08-2016 11:38 PM

You can buy a gallon of vinegar at the dollar store ... wait for it ... for a buck! Drop your cruddy nuts and bolts in there, give it a shake once in awhile when you walk past it in your shop.

A couple of days in pour it in to a colander, check the progress. If not good enough, grab your nuts (and bolts heh) put em back in the vinegar bottle, pour the strained vinegar back in the bottle and let it go for a little longer.

special-K 11-09-2016 06:19 AM

The first use of vinegar, other than putting on greens, I heard of was wipe down painted aluminum building products (siding, gutters, etc) as a prep before successfully re-painting. I never tried it to eat rust. I'll have to try it. I have used acid-based products to make rusty metal look fresh again...even into the pits, looks sand blasted without the coarse texture. Isn't vinegar also used as a weed killer?

61_FL_Apache 11-10-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7763084)
Pool acid (muriatic) works even better

A friend of mine used this a lot for small part, nuts and bolts. He always neutralized the parts with backing soda and water. Old rusty bolts look like brand new.

Deer_hunter_088 11-11-2016 05:38 PM

Did this with fistilled vinegar and it was good. On my gas tank. Got about half the rust off (tank is REALLY RUSTY)

70' GMC 11-17-2016 12:05 AM

I used Coca-Cola and aluminum foil balled up and used it to remove rust

Cape Codder 11-17-2016 09:22 PM

Need more proof?
Before

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...pshdvdmd0a.jpg

After two day soak. This was pretty rusty and I was going to toss it but tried this as an experiment.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...psofuj8mz7.jpg

chip46wis 12-01-2016 11:28 PM

Cool

GR8-68 12-02-2016 07:47 AM

So I assume this is just regular white vinegar you all are using correct ? :chevy:

Lokin4AReason 12-02-2016 09:00 AM

i use all the time at when they have a piston frozen in a block .... i just keep topping off the cylinder for about a week or two and pop out the piston w/o any problems ...

GOPAPA 12-03-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip46wis (Post 7763073)
I believe little of what I see or hear anymore HOWEVER I watched several youtube videos about using diluted vinegar for surface rust removal---I took the chance on a $2 a gallon vinegar and------IT WORKED!!!!!! I could not believe it! soak the panel--covered with paper towels---resoaked and covered with plastic for 3 hours The rust came of with a scotchbrite just as if it was fresh stamped out at the factory!!!!!! TRY IT!!!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!:four::two::ele::hot:

I will have to try this ,, I have tried this before with a neighbor and it works pretty good also ,, I know I use vinegar to take the galvnize off truss hangers if I want to paint them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA

chip46wis 12-06-2016 06:53 PM

Refresher---yes regular white vinegar I used it straight REMEMBER TO DILUTE/NUETRALISE with baking soda mixed into plain tap water dry then prime-----

TennesseeZ 03-15-2018 11:07 PM

And we're eating/drinking that stuff lol?

Cape Codder 03-15-2018 11:21 PM

Beets are great for rust removal too. Just had a great beet salad in Fl. last week.

special-K 03-16-2018 07:05 AM

Mmm... vinegar on beets. I like them tops and all. I'm glad you brought this thread back. I want to start cleaning up and preserving some stuff.

Desert_Eagle02 03-16-2018 01:21 PM

I've used vinegar to remove rust from the inside of gas tanks with great results. I've used it for old Jerry cans, old boat gas tanks, and motorcycle gas tanks. I dilute the vinegar a bit with water and pour it in. I then add a handful of bb's. Then shake it up and let it sit and put it on different sides over a course of a few days, shaking it up before switching sides. After a few days pour it out through a strainer and it should be good as new. Then use a gas tank paint to coat the inside.

4x4k30 03-17-2018 11:12 PM

I put this mix thru a test and it works great I put some of my old gm truck trim in my tub and filled it with the vinegar and baking soda my tub came clean but the mixture dissolved my trim completely away :devil:

special-K 03-18-2018 09:33 AM

What trim was it?