The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seeking education about 15x8 Rally Wheels and beauty rings (aka: trim rings) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813050)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-10-2020 07:17 PM

Seeking education about 15x8 Rally Wheels and beauty rings (aka: trim rings)

4 Attachment(s)
I'm looking into buying the fat version of beauty rings. I think they're 3" right, have a hole for the valve stem. At the moment I'm at a loss for what type(s) of rings fit these wheels.

Here are pictures of the wheels, and the rings I'd like to replace. For what it's worth the wheels are steel. Appreciate any guidance, thank you.

Ironhorse 10-10-2020 07:41 PM

Re: Seeking education about 15x8 Rally Wheels and beauty rings (aka: trim rings)

The correct GM trim rings for a 15 x 8 rally would be a 3'' stainless steel trim ring with multiple clips or tangs going around the entire wheel side of the ring. The correct ring would also have a totally surrounded valve stem hole, not an open ended valve stem hole. The 2'' metal pronged rings are not correct for the 15 x 8 rally but will mount. I have one correct spare trim for my truck and will post pics shortly. One pic is worth what, -----a thousand words, LOL.

Ironhorse 10-10-2020 07:50 PM

Re: Seeking education about 15x8 Rally Wheels and beauty rings (aka: trim rings)

2 Attachment(s)
Pic of the correct 15 x 8 truck rally trim ring. Trim ring will have a 3/8'' flat around the outer edge and gentle curve in towards the center.

geezer#99 10-10-2020 08:32 PM

Might just be my old eyeballs but they don’t look like 8 inch wides.

70 shorty 10-10-2020 08:34 PM

My rallys have Corvette trim rings on them and I like that look better. They are deeper and cover more of the wheel dish.

Ironhorse 10-10-2020 08:57 PM

Did not mention the Corvette trim rings fit also as thought the OP wanted to know correct truck rally trim rings. I have 8'' 'Vette rallies on my '71 Chevelle with the correct 'Vette 3'' trim rings.

Did not really look that close to the wheel itself.

And: ALL trim rings will leave a mark upon removal from the wheel. Nice thing about steel rally wheels they can be sanded, primed and new paint or go the powder coat route. Trim rings will mar that surface also I believe.

Gary 70 Jimmy 10-10-2020 09:49 PM

One I have on mine are 2 3/8 wide I think they look better then the 3" on a truck.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-11-2020 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8820756)
Pic of the correct 15 x 8 truck rally trim ring. Trim ring will have a 3/8'' flat around the outer edge and gentle curve in towards the center.

Thank you. The one's I have are 5/16'' flat around the outer edge and gentle curve in towards the center. I won't hold you to it:lol: IMO would that ring in your picture fit the rally wheels I have (see pic. below)? I'm unaware of any variances. Edit, picture was removed, I measured the wheel height incorrectly.

If that’s a date code on the ring and they match up to the wheels, then what I have are 1992.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 8820770)
Might just be my old eyeballs but they don’t look like 8 inch wides.

Or you have good eyes. I can’t tell for certain, they only appear 8”. Can’t say for sure with the tires on, but I know you measure from inside the beads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 shorty (Post 8820772)
My rallys have Corvette trim rings on them and I like that look better. They are deeper and cover more of the wheel dish.

I'm thinking about buying these for 4K, full price, just so I know I have at least a nice set of matching parts for a 3" beauty ring;) https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1969-19...0AAOSw7VBTw2Z8

Already Gone 10-11-2020 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While we are on the subject of rim widths my picture shows the correct way to measure rim width. A lot of people say I have 15 x 8 rallys but measure the rims outside measurement. You did say you were looking for education.

geezer#99 10-11-2020 08:34 AM

Easy to measure if you got the wheels off the truck.
Lay the tire down on a flat floor and put a 3 foot straight board on it. Measure from the bottom side of the board to the floor. Write that number down. Now measure from the board down to the outer edge of the rim. Might only be 1/2 inch. Double that number and subtract it from the written down one and you’ll have the measurement from wheel lip to wheel lip. Subtract one more inch and you’ll have the designated rim width.
Rims widths are tire bead to tire bead just like already gone’s pic shows.

geezer#99 10-11-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8820877)
While we are on the subject of rim widths my picture shows the correct way to measure rim width. A lot of people say I have 15 x 8 rallys but measure the rims outside measurement. You did say you were looking for education.

Is that my tape measure?
I was wondering who found it?

JK! LOL!

SIXTY9 10-11-2020 08:38 AM

If those are Corvette wheels the bolt pattern will be 4 3/4 X5, our trucks (5 Lug) are 5X5 bolt pattern. Unless you have changed over to the car pattern.

geezer#99 10-11-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIXTY9 (Post 8820888)
If those are Corvette wheels the bolt pattern will be 4 3/4 X5, our trucks (5 Lug) are 5X5 bolt pattern. Unless you have changed over to the car pattern.

Or have corvette style rally’s with the 5x5 pattern.

special-K 10-11-2020 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are obviously truck rallyes. No GM car ever came with this style rallye. All rallyes of this style are 5 on 5". All "GM" car rallyes (5 slot) are 5 on 4 3/4", but the aftermarket makes a 5 on 5" version for trucks.

Any 15" beauty ring will fit either rallye or steelie, except maybe the 3" on stock width (6") wheels. I know the GM "correct" rings are 3", but I sure do prefer the narrow (2"?) ones that let the wheel be seen, still serve to add the "trim" look desired, and actually fit to the contours of the wheel. I have this picture of a big/little set I did with incorrect rings and later truck centers, which I also think look better, that show the 8" wide... being the wider pair. Everything about this set is incorrect, yet 100% GM truck. Just my own preference for all but 100% factory restoration. "That's a touch I like" :cool: BTW, I know a good song by that name. Going to the "Nudder Music" thread to post it while it's on my mind. Any other unrelated topics you'd like to hear about before I go? :lol:

Wider (top) are absolutely 8" and I believe the rings are same as what you have on yours in the pictures:

SIXTY9 10-11-2020 03:32 PM

I was commenting on the EBAY add he posted in post #8.

72c20customcamper 10-11-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8820897)
These are obviously truck rallyes. No GM car ever came with this style rallye. All rallyes of this style are 5 on 5". All "GM" car rallyes (5 slot) are 5 on 4 3/4", but the aftermarket makes a 5 on 5" version for trucks.

Any 15" beauty ring with fit either rallye or steelie, except maybe the 3" on stock width (6") wheels. I know the GM "correct" rings are 3", but I sure do prefer the narrow (2"?) ones that let the wheel be seen, still serve to add the "trim" look desired, and actually fit to the contours of the wheel. I have this picture of a big/little set I did with incorrect rings and later truck centers, which I also think look better, that show the 8" wide... being the wider pair. Everything about this set id incorrect, yet 100% GM truck. Just my own preference for all but 100% factory restoration. "That's the touch I like" :cool: BTW, I know a good song by that name. Going to the "Nudder Music" thread to post it while it's on my mind. Any other unrelated topics you'd like to here about before I go? :lol:

Wider (top) are absolutely 8" and I believe the rings are same as what you have on yours in the pictures:

Hey those are my rims :lol:

special-K 10-11-2020 11:33 PM

Oh shoot, I forgot to obtain permission to show pictures from the current owner! :lol:

Disclaimer: At time photo was taken wheels shown were owned by the party who shared the photo. They no longer belong to him and he in no way lays claim of ownership nor association with said wheels other than through friendship with said current owner.

72c20customcamper 10-12-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8821223)
Oh shoot, I forgot to obtain permission to show pictures from the current owner! :lol:

Disclaimer: At time photo was taken wheels shown were owned by the party who shared the photo. They no longer belong to him and he in no way lays claim of ownership nor association with said wheels other than through friendship with said current owner.

:lol:

68Gold/white 10-12-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8820877)

Thanks for helping educate those that don't know. Measurements ARE confusing...Your rim width IS correct!, measuring between the "beads", where the tire seats...buncha folks don't know this!!!

However, when measuring the back and front spacing THAT measurement is made from the flange where the rim mounts to the rotor or drum to the inside and outside of the rim. Back spacing is from the flange to the rear most part of the rim, front spacing is same, except measuring to front most part of rim.

IF, IF you add up the front and back spacing, the number will be larger than the rim "width", this is why!!!

stomper 10-12-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Any 15" beauty ring will fit either rallye or steelie, except maybe the 3" on stock width (6") wheels. I know the GM "correct" rings are 3", but I sure do prefer the narrow (2"?) ones that let the wheel be seen, still serve to add the "trim" look desired, and actually fit to the contours of the wheel. I have this picture of a big/little set I did with incorrect rings and later truck centers, which I also think look better, that show the 8" wide... being the wider pair. Everything about this set is incorrect, yet 100% GM truck. Just my own preference for all but 100% factory restoration. "That's a touch I like" :cool: BTW, I know a good song by that name. Going to the "Nudder Music" thread to post it while it's on my mind. Any other unrelated topics you'd like to hear about before I go? :lol:

90's cop cars came with 5x5 rallys. May have been 7 inch wide tho. I just pulled the center caps off one in a junk yard the other day.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-12-2020 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the edgucasions. Good to know I can put the "right" beauty rings on these. I mounted one of my 2" rings onto an original 6x15, fit like a glove, looked awful:lol:

I'm mostly sure they're 8" wide. For example, I put this factory 6" wheel parallel the mounted rally. Eyes and measure says 2". On a side, I didn't know factory was 6". Some reason I thought they were wider. Always an option to sport those instead:chevy: I can do that with two NOS stainless bowtie caps;) Never hurts to have options.

bry593 10-14-2020 02:01 PM

Your rims look like 7" to me. In which case, the 3" ring will not fit.

All DOT approved wheels should have a JJ stamp somewhere. This is usually on the back side and will be preceded by the rim size, i.e. 15x8 JJ.

Keith Seymore 10-14-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

These are obviously truck rallyes. No GM car ever came with this style rallye.

Not quite correct, Tim.

B car police package and other SEO offerings (like taxis) came with these wheels.

K

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 8821465)
90's cop cars came with 5x5 rallys. May have been 7 inch wide tho. I just pulled the center caps off one in a junk yard the other day.

Dang it. Should have read the entire thread before posting.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-30-2020 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rally's I've got are 15x8, never thought to check before:lol: That's a relief, I was considering something drastic like running with the original wheels.

cj847 10-30-2020 03:37 PM

Can anyone confirm if the 1" dimension in post 1 is 1.5" on a 15 x 8 rally?

There has to be some way to tell the two apart without demounting.