The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Cab mount problem. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=192342)

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 11:10 AM

Cab mount problem.

5 Attachment(s)
I replaced the cab mounts on my truck this weekend. It's a real pain if all you have is a hammer and chisel to break the spot weld on the front mounts. The bolts all came out fairly easy after I gave them a good tug with a 1/2 drive ratchet and pipe:) The back mounts were actually in pretty good shape. The front mounts crumbled when I pulled them out. I did not do this safely, so I will not be describing how I changed them. I did change them one at a time so the cab wouldn't move.

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 11:11 AM

Re: Cab Mount Replacement pics.

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the new mounts installed from GMC Pauls. I also cleaned up the frame mounts and painted them with some of Eastwood's rust encapsulator.

SLIMJIM 02-20-2006 11:16 AM

Nice work 67. Did you use the spray or the brush on Encapsulator?

SLIMJIM

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLIMJIM
Nice work 67. Did you use the spray or the brush on Encapsulator?

SLIMJIM

Brush on. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something in a spray can... you loose to much to bad aim/overspray/mist etc.. Plus you can thin it 20% with laquer thinner to stretch it a little farther.

69sixpackbee 02-20-2006 01:57 PM

Did you replace the radiator support cushions too?

matthufham 02-20-2006 01:59 PM

do you have the bed and fenders on? i found when using the poly ones from gmc pauls i had to use washers to shim up the cab because the mounts were too short.

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 02:08 PM

I plan on replacing the front fenders and doors as well. I have the kit for the radiator, but I won't be messing with it until it's time to install the fenders and doors.

My truck is a stepside, so the bed bodyline/cab alignment isn't important. The front fenders are on as well. Didn't notice and difference in the alignment. I too was a little disappointed that there were no metal washers for the tops of the cab mounts. I cleaned up and used rust encapsulator on the original large washers and put them on top of the mounts, you can see them in the pics.

JAKES 68GMC 02-20-2006 02:09 PM

Did it mess up your door gaps or bodylines after you put the new bushings in? How was the quality of the bushings?

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 02:16 PM

I didn't notice any difference, but I can't exactly say my doors/fenders were aligned well in the first place. I have no idea how to judge the quality of the bushings, this is the first set I've ever physically put my hands on or even seen in person.

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAKES 68GMC
Thanks. Didn't know whether new bushings would affect the way my doors open and shut. (they shut really good)

If your front bushings are as shot as mine were, it is possible you would have to either realign the doors and fenders. I didn't care becuase I'm installing new doors/fenders anyway.

Edit: I would have to add that my front mounts were so shot that the new ones raised the front of my cab at least 1/2"

shifty 02-20-2006 02:55 PM

Excellent work - and thanks for sharing. I've also got this in my near future, but I'm having to hold off a bit on my spending on the truck because of medical bills :(

iamthor 02-20-2006 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your bolts came out looking a little better then mine did. Looks good.

67ChevyRedneck 02-20-2006 03:33 PM

Yeah, I think you can buy just the bushings, but I can't see how you can reuse the metal parts. My front bolts were salvageable, the back ones were badly pitted. All of the metal sleeves fell apart when I took them out and even some of the washers had some bad pitting. New bushings AND hardware is the only way to go. Your front cab mount looks REALLY squished compared to mine!

iamthor 02-20-2006 07:15 PM

My GMC is slightly older, a 64, and it’s a Suburban. That’s probably why their so flat. Your final product came out real nice. I like the coating.

Green Machine 02-20-2006 11:55 PM

Chevy Duty and LMC among others sell mounts that are dupicates of the originals and fit better than those IMHO. Also check the bolt strength, the originals were grade 5 or grade 8 bolts, some kits only have grade 2 bolts, not what I want holding my cab on.

67ChevyRedneck 02-21-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Machine
Chevy Duty and LMC among others sell mounts that are dupicates of the originals and fit better than those IMHO. Also check the bolt strength, the originals were grade 5 or grade 8 bolts, some kits only have grade 2 bolts, not what I want holding my cab on.

Can't be any worse than the rusted out crap that was on there before the swap;) Also, if the original front mounts squished that bad I don't want "duplicates of the originals." Thanks for the info though, I'm sure some people would like to use an original style kit.

DTerry 03-11-2006 12:31 PM

Cab mount problem.

Well I have a 70 c20 and I got the right kit from chevy duty. But the thing is, I dont have any directions. so I dont know where each washer goes or where each bushing goes. If any one has a picture to show what goes where, or if you just know how to do it please explain. Thanks in advance.

Solver 03-11-2006 01:14 PM

Re: Cab mount problem.

2 Attachment(s)
here is my info hope it helps