The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Diy spid (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=663990)

magicoolbus 03-18-2015 07:18 PM

Diy spid

3 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,
Been spending some time at the PC lately in an effort to come up with my own SPID for my suburban. I was unhappy with what was available and thought I could do it myself. I did a lot of research on the font and as many have discovered, it is no where to be found. So in the modern computer era, I figured there has to be something that is close that would only be discernable to the purist of the hobby. I do believe I was successful and was able to find a font called "Artisan 12" from the dafont.com website.

I uploaded it to my PC and at first tried to make a bit of a template using word, but was very quickly dissatisfied with the results and the effort with the alignment. Switching over to Excel proved much easier, all told, I would say I have about 1.5 hours in the project total.

I ordered a couple of blank SPID's from LMC for about 5 bux each. Next just printed the 'beta' SPID on regular paper and held up to the blank. Made notes where I needed to tweek the alignment and sizing and reprinted. I probably printed about 15 'betas' until I had what I thought was an acceptable template. After each print, I would hold the blank SPID behind the printed page and using a flashlight aligned the columns. A glass coffee table with a light underneath would have been the optimum method I believe. Once I was sold that I was in the ballpark, I used some of the wives double stick 'scrapbook' tape and taped the blank SPID onto a final 'beta' piece of printed paper aligning it as before using the backlight method. Then printed it again with my printer. Being that the ink is not what I would call UV and or waterproof, I plan on covering up the SPID with a clear piece of vinyl.

In looking at numerous SPID examples, I did find some consistent areas to base my template on, in particular the wheel base dimension was always aligned under the second "I" in "IDENTIFICATION" directly above the box. The VIN number 3rd digit was typically under the "S" of SERVICE. I also noted that with very few exceptions the interior color code was on the bottom left column and the exterior paint code on the bottom right. The basic 3 digit RPO's are basically alphabetical, with no real rhyme or reason of left or right column.

Below is a photo of by 'before' and my 'after.' All told, I have about 6 bucks plus time into the project. If interested in my excel file, send me a PM and I will email you the file and you can determine if it may work for you.

I also included another project that I just completed for the Jack Stowage decal. This is not reproduced by any vendors that I am aware of. Let me know what you think.

Bigdav160 03-18-2015 07:51 PM

Re: Diy spid

I certainly no expert but the SPID looks good, too good :D

I meant to ask how the jack storage sticker was coming

LockDoc 03-18-2015 09:08 PM

-
Your SPID & jack decal look great....

I did the '67-'68 pickup one because it is not reproduced so I can appreciate the amount of time you have invested in them....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520919

LockDoc

tedfrk 03-19-2015 08:48 PM

Just wondering what could be done if I don't have the original to go by???

magicoolbus 03-19-2015 09:56 PM

You can create your own, make a list of the factory items that you can determine that you have. Many of us make our 'new' SPID labels with our additional 'factory' items we add, like Tach, Vacuum, Posi, A/C, etc. Lots of resources for RPO codes, but one of the best places is this site SPID label threads. You may get lucky and have a build sheet still lurking under your seat, it will be between the foam and spring. Good Luck.

rocknss 03-21-2015 01:54 AM

Looks real nice!

tidmack 03-21-2015 09:36 AM

This is the best reproduction SPID I've seen. It's almost disappointing to know that I'll have to start finding new ways to determine whether options originally came on a truck, or if it's a true shortbox, etc. Very nice work.

Jeff

oski6754 03-22-2015 09:08 PM

Can't find the blank SPID stickers at LMC. Can you share the link? Many thanks and great work!

magicoolbus 03-22-2015 09:24 PM

Here you go:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=158

P. 158 in their online catalog, part number is 38-0196.

LockDoc 03-23-2015 12:26 AM

-
Classic Parts has them also.

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.VQ-UvqrVrTo

They call it an "Option List Decal"

LockDoc

DWilbur 03-23-2015 09:26 PM

Very cool I would like to do a custom SPID for my truck.

elpound 03-12-2016 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1509540I wish I would have seen this post before I had my SPID made up.for my 70 chevy. Could have saved a few bucks. I don't think I could have made it very quickly though.

magicoolbus 03-13-2016 12:13 AM

That looks fantastic. I am sure it is worth the money you spent!
JB

elpound 03-13-2016 07:17 AM

Thanks! Coming from you, it is a real complement!

special-K 03-13-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidmack (Post 7099846)
This is the best reproduction SPID I've seen. It's almost disappointing to know that I'll have to start finding new ways to determine whether options originally came on a truck, or if it's a true shortbox, etc. Very nice work.

Jeff

It's been going on for over 25 years that I know of. I bought blank SPIDs from Cheyenne Superman/Gary Terry in the late-80s.

pwdcougar 03-14-2016 11:40 AM

Nice work!

Paul

raggedjim 04-10-2016 12:31 PM

JB, if you send the excel worksheet does the font migrate or do I need to download the font from the site you mentioned?

Great work on this, Rg

magicoolbus 04-10-2016 01:18 PM

RG, should be in you inbox.

raggedjim 04-10-2016 09:26 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Rg

lugnut 06-14-2020 06:50 PM

Sent you a pm. I'd love to get a copy of your spid sheet. Thanks.