The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boyd welding gas tank (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813520)

fdbdw 10-22-2020 03:57 PM

Boyd welding gas tank

Any experience with this Boyd welding tank, or other/better options.

https://fueltankparts.com/products/6...l-non-efi-tank

1971Stepside 10-22-2020 04:07 PM

Re: Boyd welding gas tank

I have the EFI version. Fits great. They are the standard and almost too pretty to cover up.

Stover93 10-22-2020 06:20 PM

I bought one for my rig. Top notch part. No regrets.

MySons68C20 10-22-2020 06:32 PM

I have that exact tank....you will not regret buying the best.

TXgearhead67 10-22-2020 09:35 PM

I have their EFI tank also. Love it!

fdbdw 10-22-2020 11:00 PM

Good enough for me, ordered
Thanks for the input

greenweenie1969 10-23-2020 11:30 AM

I have the EFI tank for my 69 c20. Fits great and i think they look better when looking at the truck from the rear as compared to the blazer and lmc tanks. Nice slope.

REDROCKER652002 10-23-2020 11:49 AM

That tank looks great, gonna show my son and see what he thinks. Has anybody powder coated it? That could be pretty cool too.

carbuff382 10-23-2020 06:28 PM

Had the same tank on my 70 SWB, had a pinhole leak on a weld. Contacted Boyd and he sent me a replacement tank, no questions asked. Great products and excellent customer support! Will definitely purchase again.

atm70chevy 10-23-2020 09:39 PM

I have the same tank also. I love it and absolutely no regrets. They are very high quality tanks.

AllGoNoShow 10-24-2020 10:22 PM

Not to hijack a thread, but what are you guys doing for the hose to connect it?

Was looking at upgrading to 8AN (1/2) when I do the tank, but options seem limited in that size as far as mild steel is concerned, stainless appears to be too much of a pain and expensive to get tools to properly flare, which leaves us with flex line...stainless braided? nylon braided (no abrasion resistance)? rubber, ptfe? Too many options!

salty388 10-25-2020 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I put a Boyd’s tank on my 70... currently rockin no bed to show it off. I went with 3/8 stainless hardline on the frame with earls compression hardline to an adapters, no leaks yet. Everything else was summit stainless braided ptfe and their fittings. 3/8 seems huge already I can’t imagine runnin 1/2”.

Jcfcamaro 10-25-2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow (Post 8826777)
Not to hijack a thread, but what are you guys doing for the hose to connect it?

Was looking at upgrading to 8AN (1/2) when I do the tank, but options seem limited in that size as far as mild steel is concerned, stainless appears to be too much of a pain and expensive to get tools to properly flare, which leaves us with flex line...stainless braided? nylon braided (no abrasion resistance)? rubber, ptfe? Too many options!

I used a blazer line then cut it in half and hooked the front up then the rear section. Ended up with 13 in gap in the middle. Sent the lines back to inline tube where they put nuts on the cut ends and flared them. They also made me a 13in long line and sent me 2 couplers to hook it up.

TXgearhead67 10-25-2020 01:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did about the same as everyone else. Earls ptfe SS hose for flex and 3/8” SS hardline. Worked good!

AllGoNoShow 10-25-2020 02:40 AM

How was flaring and bending the stainless steel line and what tools did you use? I assume 37 degree flare?

Thanks for the responses.

TXgearhead67 10-25-2020 09:35 AM

It wasn’t to bad. I bought a flaring tool kit that goes in a vice from Eastwood. And I needed a tubing straightener. The hardest thing was bending the tubing. I started off with a small tubing bender that was supposed to do 3/8” line and broke it on the first bend. Did a little research and found a Rigid brand bender that was dedicated to 3/8” line only. It is made specifically for bending tough metals like SS. Worked like a charm! It was a little pricey to get tooled up but having the right tools makes any job way easier.

On a side note. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have used a flare tool. I only made 3 flares on the whole system and I could have done without them. I used Earls compression fittings going from hard line to AN. I really liked how the worked and made it easy. As far as price goes when you use a flare nut you would have to buy a fitting going from NPT to AN anyway. Just my thoughts on it.

salty388 10-25-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgearhead67 (Post 8826891)
It wasn’t to bad. I bought a flaring tool kit that goes in a vice from Eastwood. And I needed a tubing straightener. The hardest thing was bending the tubing. I started off with a small tubing bender that was supposed to do 3/8” line and broke it on the first bend. Did a little research and found a Rigid brand bender that was dedicated to 3/8” line only. It is made specifically for bending tough metals like SS. Worked like a charm! It was a little pricey to get tooled up but having the right tools makes any job way easier.

On a side note. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have used a flare tool. I only made 3 flares on the whole system and I could have done without them. I used Earls compression fittings going from hard line to AN. I really liked how the worked and made it easy. As far as price goes when you use a flare nut you would have to buy a fitting going from NPT to AN anyway. Just my thoughts on it.

You spent a chunk on tooling! I went back and forth on how I was gonna do it. I luckily found a swagelok store here in Amarillo and bought my hard line from them, thus eliminating the need for a straightener. I really think I could have gotten by with buying my hard line online somewhere but I thought I was going to need more than 8ft solid lengths. I ended up cutting my 10ft sticks down under 8. And then it was $50 for compression fittings vs a $250 flare tool. I also used earls inline fuel filter, which is a very nice unit.

Fraud 10-30-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXgearhead67 (Post 8826831)
I did about the same as everyone else. Earls ptfe SS hose for flex and 3/8” SS hardline. Worked good!

Is the frame notch needed for the side fill? Or does it depend what bed type you have?

TXgearhead67 10-31-2020 12:52 AM

I don’t think it has to have it.When I was mocking up the tank before I powder coated it looked real close. So I cut a piece of 2” pipe in half and welded it in just to give a little room.

BigBird05 10-31-2020 07:25 AM

Any body have any pictures of how they mounted there tanks.

zschary 11-02-2020 06:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple.. Its mounted with the strips that Boyds have to mount them with.. I would recommend you get them.. I tack welded them in but not sure you have to, then just drill the frame for the four holes a side..
They have this one with a factory late model ZL1 gm pump for a swap truck like this running a later model engine.. Its a well made stunning looking piece.. Wish the rest of the truck looked as good ..

sfont66 11-03-2020 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8829585)
Any body have any pictures of how they mounted there tanks.

Great tank, easy to mount. I used 3/8 grade 8 hardware. I then marked the flange on the tank for the layout of the bolt holes. Spacing evenly 4 holes per side. Drill holes in tank flanges first,I then used a ratchet strap to hold the tank in position up against the frame rails, then using the holes in the tank flanges to locate the position of the holes needed in the frame, drill through the holes in the flanges and through the frame. Once all 8 holes were complete I lowered the tank removed the strap, and tack welded nuts over the 8 bolt holes. When mounting the tank I used a strip of bicycle inner tube between the tank flanges and bottom of the frame, I also added a couple drops of loctite to the bolts, just for reassurance.

AllGoNoShow 11-05-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfont66 (Post 8831215)
Great tank, easy to mount. I used 3/8 grade 8 hardware. I then marked the flange on the tank for the layout of the bolt holes. Spacing evenly 4 holes per side. Drill holes in tank flanges first,I then used a ratchet strap to hold the tank in position up against the frame rails, then using the holes in the tank flanges to locate the position of the holes needed in the frame, drill through the holes in the flanges and through the frame. Once all 8 holes were complete I lowered the tank removed the strap, and tack welded nuts over the 8 bolt holes. When mounting the tank I used a strip of bicycle inner tube between the tank flanges and bottom of the frame, I also added a couple drops of loctite to the bolts, just for reassurance.

Thanks for the tips and looks good! What paint did you use on the frame?

sfont66 11-05-2020 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow (Post 8831695)
Thanks for the tips and looks good! What paint did you use on the frame?

Not trying to derail the thread, so my apologies to the original post.

First I cleaned and sandblasted the frame, then I primed it with epoxy primer, then shot a few coats of Rust-oleum industrial enamel . It holds up very well, and touches up easy. This is not a show truck, just a fun Hot rod.

fdbdw 11-05-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfont66 (Post 8831743)
Not trying to derail the thread, so my apologies to the original post.

First I cleaned and sandblasted the frame, then I primed it with epoxy primer, then shot a few coats of Rust-oleum industrial enamel . It holds up very well, and touches up easy. This is not a show truck, just a fun Hot rod.

Don’t apologize, it’s like sitting around the shop talking about trucks. One conversation leads to another. I think it’s great.