The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Warning on HID conversion & Clear Side Marker & Taillights (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=488934)

GMCPaul 10-14-2011 07:26 AM

Warning on HID conversion & Clear Side Marker & Taillights

Back in 2008 we posted about the Federal goverment declaring that the HID headlamp conversions were illegal and that clear sidemarkers & taillight lenses were considered illegal also unless they reflected red when unlit in rear and amber when unlit in the front. Starting in 2009 Customs & Border Protection began seizing these at the border and the Federal Goverment has begun pressuring the states to begin enforcement of those owners operating these parts on the streets already so if your running these Watch out. Heres a link to a story on the HID conversions at SEMA about the seizures.
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...onversion-kits
The fines for retailers & manufacturers alike can be up to 10 times the value of the parts, not sure what the penalties are for a person operating them on the streets but I just wanted to remind everyone of this as I know some places still sell these retail. These are legal if you only use them off-road or at a show but if you drive on the street beware. Prior to 2008 we used to be able to sell these with the disclaimer that they were for off-road or show vehicle use only not legal for street use but the Fed decided that since the retailer / Manufacturer has no control on their end use that they could no longer be sold this way.
Just wanted to warn you all again you can take it for what its worth in your opinion.
Paul ( Owner ) @ GMCPauls

jtj143 10-14-2011 07:51 AM

Re: Warning on HID conversion & Clear Side Marker & Taillights

HID headlamps are an illegal upgrade? What is the best option for improved headlight performance?

domeier 10-14-2011 10:41 AM

"...The NHTSA is specifically concerned that HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists..."

"Can" produce excessive glare? How about, "do" produce excessive glare? Those things are murder for everyone except the massively inconsiderate driver who's sitting behind them.

leddzepp 10-14-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtj143 (Post 4952816)
HID headlamps are an illegal upgrade? What is the best option for improved headlight performance?

Here is an idea: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447836

All I did was swap in some newer headlights for the old T3's in my truck....made a world of difference.

GASoline71 10-14-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domeier (Post 4953012)
"...The NHTSA is specifically concerned that HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists..."

"Can" produce excessive glare? How about, "do" produce excessive glare? Those things are murder for everyone except the massively inconsiderate driver who's sitting behind them.

I agree 100%... good riddance to them if you ask me. Sometimes the "blue" glare in the rearview mirros with them behind you is worse than oncoming...

Gary

project 67 sub 10-14-2011 02:04 PM

thanks for the warning... and GASoline71 very true.. i just leave my rear view mirror flipped up at night, that and the limo tint helps alot with not having any glare from behind :)

Dunenutt 10-14-2011 02:19 PM

WHOOO HOOOO! I hate those things! Not only are they ungodly bright, most people don't take the time to aim them.

They can blind everyone around them, while I sit on the side of the road getting a ticket for blue dot's:lol:.

project 67 sub 10-14-2011 02:31 PM

^^^lol, that sucks..... if they are done correctly, and use the right parts, i wouldn't see a problem with them HID conversions. but probably at least 98% of the people that do the conversions don't do it correctly :(

shawno72 10-14-2011 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 814215
I just installed this kit I bought off ebay for $29 shipped. It is excellent quality and makes a huge difference when it comes to making the headlights brighter. But not inconsiderate bright.

69sixpackbee 10-14-2011 02:56 PM

I guess that kit is nothing more than a relay and the wires so you can wire them directly to the battery?
When I installed my Jeep J/K headlights I did that and it makes a noticeable (not huge) difference.

shawno72 10-14-2011 03:04 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harness-Relay-Ha...sories&vxp=mtr
here is the link.

shawno72 10-14-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee (Post 4953384)
I guess that kit is nothing more than a relay and the wires so you can wire them directly to the battery?
When I installed my Jeep J/K headlights I did that and it makes a noticeable (not huge) difference.

I was so impressed with the difference that it made, I installed on two of my trucks now.

webfoot 10-14-2011 03:09 PM

That looks like a cool kit. Might have to add that to the list of upgrades.

StingRay 10-14-2011 03:41 PM

I have them in my 92 in aftermarket housings with the glare shield. They are properly aimed and I have never been flashed for having too bright a light. They are generally more often abused and used incorrectly than they are in a responible manner though.

eightbanger 10-14-2011 05:41 PM

I'm in the haters list for HID headlights, they really catch me out especially when the oncoming car is approaching on an incline then it's just like full beam in the face....really dangerous.

Relays & Halogens everytime.

project 67 sub 10-14-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 4953603)
Relays & Halogens everytime.

this will be what i end up doing, a glass lens H4 conversion with silverstar ultra bulbs and relays. :devil:

creepdogg 10-14-2011 06:26 PM

One of the main reasons these HID lamps are illegal is because when you retro them into a older housing they don't have the ability to adjust up and down automatically like designed too in newer cars. I believe in Europe all their headlamps have to be auto leveling.

I ran a set in my 02 grand prix with projector lenses and had them aimed properly and never once was flashed, when you have these yahoos install them into a halogen reflector housing it just scatters light everywhere, HID lights are meant to be a very focused beam of light. When using projectors you have a cut off inside the projector that keeps the light low and to the right to protect on coming motorist from getting so much glare.

I love HID lights, but they need to be used properly.

webfoot 10-14-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by project 67 sub (Post 4953618)
this will be what i end up doing, a glass lens H4 conversion with silverstar ultra bulbs and relays. :devil:

Where can you get the lenses the silverstars plug into?

Dieselwrencher 10-14-2011 06:51 PM

I also hate inproperly set up HID's. If you don't hate them, drive a semi at night and see how nice they are. :lol:

Dunenutt 10-14-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webfoot (Post 4953694)
Where can you get the lenses the silverstars plug into?

http://www.gmcpauls.com/headlights.htm

lil hoodlum 10-14-2011 07:10 PM

I don't have anything useful to post, but I too hate the HID lights. I agree with everyone else, they suck just as much from the rear. I have had several instances of someone following behind me at night with those HIDs and it litterally lit up the inside of my cab. I swear, it was bright enough to read by.

I thought up a safety device to counter the effects of being followed by someone with those HIDs. Basically you would have a camera mounted in the rear that would measure the distance of the car following behind you along with how bright the lights were. When a set level was reached for the brightness, the system would turn on a pair of HID installed facing rearward thus warning the driver behind you that their lights and/ or distance behind you are dangerous.

Keith

domeier 10-14-2011 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glaring headlights? Tailgaters? Roadhogs? My pal Ted takes care of all those "problems" for me.

fastwillie 696969 10-14-2011 07:51 PM

i dont drive at night anymore

bigdogboxers 10-14-2011 07:55 PM

Not to change the subject but in my nice state I got a ticket for smoked headlight covers during the day.... The officer said she could not see my lights. What a joke. It was 2:pm on a nice July day. Don't even have to have headlights to operate a vehicle during the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

hatred 10-14-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 4953393)

This kit the same as the headlight relay upgrade?