The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

rd237 02-27-2014 08:54 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

5 Attachment(s)
I put Paint on my cab today!

Fitz 02-28-2014 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fabricated and installed a polished stainless steel radiator cover.

67Slider 02-28-2014 02:08 PM

Looks good Fitz! How long did it take you?

Fitz 02-28-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Slider (Post 6549768)
Looks good Fitz! How long did it take you?

About four hours, starting with a 12 X 36 sheet of 18 ga stainless. Use Aluminum if you don't have a set of carbide sheet metal cutters for the holes, though. Stainless is TOUGH on drill bits and sheet metal cutters.

Mike_The_Grad 03-01-2014 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready to be put back into service...but, I had a smidgen of forethought as far as spark plug wiring is concerned. Im looking for a "clean" appearance. Considering i just painted the engine and frame. I have hedman long tube headers, already piped to fit, and it seems I have a routing issue with #5 & #6 plugs. the primary tubes from #1 & #2 run so close to the plugs that the wire looms I have won't allow the boot (taylor cut to fit red wires with 90° boot) any clearance at all, were talking 1/8" max. I can only imagine doing this if it was in the truck! So I'm faced with a dilemma. I have a lot of "bling" on top, and I just picked up the wires. I would really like to show off both. Different headers are not out of the question, nor is different wiring, considering I haven't cut any wires yet. Any input is well received!...

Fitz 03-01-2014 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I avoided that problem with my headers by using 45 degree plug boots and the GM wire looms. Should work on yours too.

Mike_The_Grad 03-01-2014 01:44 PM

Thanx Fitz. I thought of 45° boots also.But I think I have a solution.I'm gonna try header wrap and just go a little beyond the boots. Plus side is I won't have to wire wheel and paint the headers.

texjake 03-02-2014 01:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I repainted my dash bezel today. I used Rust-Oleum black hammered paint & I used silver metallic enamel for the outside trim. I used a silver metallic Sharpie to outline the letters with.

BugzC10 03-02-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6551014)
Ready to be put back into service...but, I had a smidgen of forethought as far as spark plug wiring is concerned. Im looking for a "clean" appearance. Considering i just painted the engine and frame. I have hedman long tube headers, already piped to fit, and it seems I have a routing issue with #5 & #6 plugs. the primary tubes from #1 & #2 run so close to the plugs that the wire looms I have won't allow the boot (taylor cut to fit red wires with 90° boot) any clearance at all, were talking 1/8" max. I can only imagine doing this if it was in the truck! So I'm faced with a dilemma. I have a lot of "bling" on top, and I just picked up the wires. I would really like to show off both. Different headers are not out of the question, nor is different wiring, considering I haven't cut any wires yet. Any input is well received!...

Looks like you need to switch to the "shortie" spark plugs, then take a look if you need to have some of the boots be 45 deg or straight. In addition maybe add some of the boot insulators. They protect the boots, but may not show off the wires like you want. Or change your headers.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...psa3785701.jpg

stepsider 03-02-2014 11:29 AM

What is a shortie spark plug ?

Boog 03-02-2014 12:12 PM

They are spark plugs that are shorter in overal length to give more room between the header tube and the spark plug for the wires.
I searched Summit and found these right away.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-0576s-4/overview/

Lou Boffa 03-02-2014 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the straight boots let you control the "curve" some. I was surprised that once set up, the wires stayed where I formed them over time. Mine is w manifolds as opposed to headers but the principal is the same.

Mike_The_Grad 03-02-2014 01:23 PM

TeX Jake that dash bezel looks awesome. Just gave me an idea for a project during the week...

texjake 03-02-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6553231)
TeX Jake that dash bezel looks awesome. Just gave me an idea for a project during the week...

Thanks man! Just a warning, when I went to use the Dupli-color prep-spray before painting it, it removed all the existing factory black from the bezel. That was ok because I was going to re-paint it anyways. I was just not expecting it to remove the factory black paint that fast or that easy. I used 400 grit sandpaper on the edges to remove the old silver paint and of course the prep cleaner removed the black paint for me. I also used the Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter before painting it. That Rust-Oleum black hammered paint was great for the bezel because it adds to that textured look that the bezel has on it. And a good prep job is most important for a long lasting paint job. I painted the edges first & let them dry good before masking them off before painting on the black. And the silver metallic Sharpie really was impressive to use to outline the letters, IMO they almost look like the factory did em'.

Mike_The_Grad 03-02-2014 05:31 PM

Thanx for the heads up. TeX Jake. I'll keep that in mind.

C10Calvin 03-02-2014 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Boom! Took my steering column apart today. Going to rebuild it hopefully it goes back together ok. This was in the bed of the truck when I bought it. It was all rusted and froze up. I'm not sure what year the steering column is, they guy I bought the truck from just threw it in because the truck has a trans am tilt column in it and I didn't like it. Is there any way to tell what year the column is?

72CampSpecial 03-02-2014 07:40 PM

Finally installed shoulder belts in the truck... after multiple attempts I'm finally satisfied with how they are installed. Also installed a new winder regulator..can finally roll down the window again!

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps2dfb87ab.jpg

ChrisWhewell 03-02-2014 07:58 PM

MSD 8653 distributor on my 350 !!

colgad 03-02-2014 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally on the last leg of painting the 67. Got the bed assembled this week and Painted today!!!

Only the hood is left.

colgad 03-05-2014 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wood installed today
Chrome wheel housing - Purchased from Southern Kentucky Classics
http://sokyclassics.com/product.php?skcid=1002476

magwakeenercew2jh 03-05-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6558486)
Wood installed today

Where'd ya get the tubs?

Willys47 03-05-2014 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
took a 2 tailgates dented smashed up tail gates and made one just for me

Aussie Ol' Blue 03-05-2014 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found some repro mirror heads for a 69 Holden. Took the crappy sports mirror off the arms and installed the new bits. Not super flash and eventually want to get the squarish mirrors on the longer 66 style arms. The original mirrors were useless inasmuch as I couldn't get enough angle on the right hand side and when your driving on the wrong side of the truck on the right side of the road (being the left) you wanna know who you're about to cut off!

:lol::lol: :metal::metal:

BugzC10 03-05-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6558486)
Wood installed today

Bed looks terrific..inside and out!

DaHos 03-05-2014 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:metal:

Checked a few more items off the list.

Picked up some goodies from being powder coated. Also got the ft and rear bumpers done !