The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Finally got my cruise control working (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752735)

Man With A Gun 12-16-2017 02:26 AM

Finally got my cruise control working

Been messing with this thing on and off for a couple of years. 77 Chevy 3/4 ton Camper Special with factory non-resume cruise.

Basically it needed everything. I found a NOS diaphragm on eBay. Found some beaded pull-chain from a ceiling fan to connect the cable to the diaphragm. Got a new vacuum transducer, rebuilt from Oreilly's. Fixed a bunch of vacuum leaks. And finally I found a mess in the electrical wiring on the brake cruise disabling function. A previous owner had installed (badly) a brake controller that had been disconnected and taped off and once that was put back to normal, it worked.

It needs adjusting because it speeds up about 4 mph after the cruise is enabled but it does work now.

4x4k30 12-16-2017 05:48 AM

Re: Finally got my cruise control working

I am glad that you got your cruise working it remined me about a 82 suburban I has working on. the factory cruise it wasn't working properly so I was fooling around with it one day I had just left out the driveway and the truck got up to about 45 mph so I pushed the button and when I did the vacuum diaphragm sucked up and it held the throttle wide ass open it jumped up to 60 mph quickly I tried not to panic but I was headed towards the hwy I tried everything to get it to stop but the suburban kept getting faster and faster I hit the brakes as hard as I could it did nothing it just kept going I cut off the key and that didn't work so I then had to shift it up into netural it was screaming running wide open at about 7000 rpm but I was able to get stopped before I had to stop at the hwy I just knew it was going to spin a rod or something but it made it thru and after that I took off the vacuum diaphragm off and thrashed it . lesson learned

TKCR 12-16-2017 07:36 AM

That's good news.

When I bought my truck, mine didn't work either. But when I put a new Edelbrock Carb on, I saw the rod wasn't set to the side of the carburetor. It was missing the little clip that kept the rod from sliding back off.

Man With A Gun 12-16-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8106266)
That's good news.

When I bought my truck, mine didn't work either. But when I put a new Edelbrock Carb on, I saw the rod wasn't set to the side of the carburetor. It was missing the little clip that kept the rod from sliding back off.

I had to get the cable connected to the carb too. Forgot to mention that in the OP.