The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Headliner (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810321)

badherb 08-09-2020 05:08 PM

Headliner

Have a 60 swb. The headliner is metal as everyone knows. I wanted to install a fabric headliner foam backed ( gonna have upholstery guy do this). What I want to ask is there trim kit for the 60 I realize probably not but has someone did this and used something else or am I sol? Thanks

cwcarpenter98 08-10-2020 12:38 AM

Re: Headliner

I do not think that there is a factory headliner trim for the 60-66 trucks. If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me

roll_the_dice 08-10-2020 10:01 AM

I found this thread where someone made a headliner...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=headliner

The Rocknrod 08-10-2020 11:01 AM

No, never seen an aftermarket unit.

forestb 08-10-2020 04:35 PM

I have a cloth and insulation headliner. Just so that I can have insulation on the ceiling. The upholsterer used velcro to hold it up. Glued one side to the ceiling and sowed the other onto the headliner. It worked well until the heat got to the glue and then it started falling down. Still trying to get the old glue off the ceiling so I can figure out a better glue to use.

AcampoDave 08-11-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8789694)
I found this thread where someone made a headliner...

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=headliner

Hey, that's me! Thanks Dice Roller. I think that's the first time anyone besides me has linked one of my threads. The headliner is still doing well and isn't falling or sagging.

kens65fb 08-11-2020 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:

Originally Posted by badherb (Post 8789311)
Have a 60 swb. The headliner is metal as everyone knows. I wanted to install a fabric headliner foam backed ( gonna have upholstery guy do this). What I want to ask is there trim kit for the 60 I realize probably not but has someone did this and used something else or am I sol? Thanks

If you are going to have an upholstery shop make one for you, and install it, it's not going to be cheap, trust me.

I bought this one a while ago, it's 20% off again, that will take it down to $160.

Installation was a breeze, and the quality was great.

Goes great with my new door panelsAttachment 2039853

The Rocknrod 08-11-2020 01:30 PM

Wow - What a find. :) Door panels look great too.

kens65fb 08-11-2020 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8790343)
Wow - What a find. :) Door panels look great too.

The headliner is currently available in 8 colors, for $194.99 with an additional 20 % off at checkout.

Here is a pic of my seats & console

verdell 08-11-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8790116)
Hey, that's me! Thanks Dice Roller. I think that's the first time anyone besides me has linked one of my threads. The headliner is still doing well and isn't falling or sagging.

How's it holding up? Velcro still holding it firm and secure? It looks like a great project and you did a A1 job but I'm concerned with it in the deep south heat. It's 98 degrees in the shade right now here in north MS and I don't keep my truck in a garage.

AcampoDave 08-11-2020 07:47 PM

Summer days regularly get into the triple digit temps where I live and on those days, my garage gets too hot to even spend time inside it. Nonetheless, the headliner stays put. One key to success is to choose a lightweight covering. I later tried to make a gray one out of some thick vinyl fabric and it was too heavy and the thing kept trying to come down. The black vinly stuff you see in my thread is suprisingly thin and light weight. Walmart regularly has plenty of different black vinyl styles but other colors can be a little sparse.

AcampoDave 08-11-2020 08:05 PM

I used these https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulat...a-806533907915 under my carpet and they are super sticky squares of foam stuff. I got to wondering as I was applying them, if there would be some way to utilize them in constructing a headliner. If somehow they could be laid out to form and then covered pehaps with a lightweight piece of fiberboad or palstic that you would glue to the non-sticky side then maybe wrap it with vinyl or cloth using the peel and stick side on the back to hold the material where it wraps over. Then peel the paper away from the back of the product and stick it up there.

jweb 08-12-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 8789878)
I have a cloth and insulation headliner. Just so that I can have insulation on the ceiling. The upholsterer used velcro to hold it up. Glued one side to the ceiling and sowed the other onto the headliner. It worked well until the heat got to the glue and then it started falling down. Still trying to get the old glue off the ceiling so I can figure out a better glue to use.

They likely used an adhesive backed Velcro. Be sure to get all of the glue off.

Then you can use Velcro with VHB backing or someone on the forum also suggested magnets.

Velcro with VHB: https://www.itapestore.com/3m-dual-l...-the-yard.html

forestb 08-12-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8790841)
They likely used an adhesive backed Velcro. Be sure to get all of the glue off.

Then you can use Velcro with VHB backing or someone on the forum also suggested magnets.

Velcro with VHB: https://www.itapestore.com/3m-dual-l...-the-yard.html

I was the magnet guy. I decided against it. What is VHB? Somebody else I know suggested using neoprene glue.

jweb 08-12-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 8790845)
I was the magnet guy. I decided against it. What is VHB? Somebody else I know suggested using neoprene glue.

VHB ( very high bond) tape is what all of the emblems are attached with on new cars. It has been tested in very harsh environments and holds up well.

We use VHB tape and the VHB backed Velcro on quite a few parts when assembling the aircraft interiors we make at work.

forestb 08-12-2020 01:37 PM

I was just looking at the link you posted. This might not work for me because I already have the standard loop style sowed into the headliner. I will have to find a different one that is VHB backed.

jweb 08-12-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 8790871)
I was just looking at the link you posted. This might not work for me because I already have the standard loop style sowed into the headliner. I will have to find a different one that is VHB backed.

How wide is the Velcro in your truck? I have some 1" width that will work with standard hook and loop with VHB here. I could send you some pieces of either the hook or loop that you need for free.

If the 1" will work just send me a PM, let me know if you need the hook or the loop and how long, also your address.

WOLFMANmike 08-12-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kens65fb (Post 8790317)
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

If you are going to have an upholstery shop make one for you, and install it, it's not going to be cheap, trust me.

I bought this one a while ago, it's 20% off again, that will take it down to $160.

Installation was a breeze, and the quality was great.

Goes great with my new door panelsAttachment 2039853

Wait i just have 1 question how in the name of all that is holy do you roll down your windows and also open your door with those panels?

kens65fb 08-12-2020 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike (Post 8791040)
Wait i just have 1 question how in the name of all that is holy do you roll down your windows and also open your door with those panels?

These door panel have a strong waterproof fiberglass panel underneath the vinyl, not a fiberboard backing.

First install the door panel, then press the vinyl with your finger to find the shaft, that the handles attach to

Cut a small x with a razor into the vinyl, and push the vinyl to expose the shaft, then attach the handles, with the set screws

Neat & clean

WOLFMANmike 08-12-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8790483)
Summer days regularly get into the triple digit temps where I live and on those days, my garage gets too hot to even spend time inside it. Nonetheless, the headliner stays put. One key to success is to choose a lightweight covering. I later tried to make a gray one out of some thick vinyl fabric and it was too heavy and the thing kept trying to come down. The black vinly stuff you see in my thread is suprisingly thin and light weight. Walmart regularly has plenty of different black vinyl styles but other colors can be a little sparse.

hey bro i have this idea im gonna do when i make my head liner for my 65 c10 and i bet it would work well for you too and the heat should not matter so here it is i cant remember what its called but that real thin press board shape it to fit then your foam shape it to fit and last part most important Home depot has Neodymium magnets very strong and they happen to have counter sunk holes in the center of them see where im going here? so place your magnets where you want them then run a screw through the counter sunk hole into that thin press board do it with all the magnets then put a washer and a small nut to keep it from ever coming lose. now comes your foam so that the foam sits flush on its new press board backing use a exacto blade and cut the diameter of the magnet so that when you lay it over the magnets it covers it and sits flush now use the 3m dualloc velcro for your foam that stuff holds 25 lbs! put that on your foam backing and the press board and you my friend are all set!! the idea here is that #1 the strong magnets are holding up the whole thing and heat has no effect on the magnets power # 2 the press board and magnets will be absorbing the full brunt of the heat but your foam will not get as hot it will serve as a insulator and as long as you get strong enough magnets she aint gonna fall hot. cold. or not now i have not made mine yet but its just a idea in my head i thought ide share with you for yours and others who may be into it

WOLFMANmike 08-12-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kens65fb (Post 8791052)
These door panel have a strong waterproof fiberglass panel underneath the vinyl, not a fiberboard backing.

First install the door panel, then press the vinyl with your finger to find the shaft, that the handles attach to

Cut a small x with a razor into the vinyl, and push the vinyl to expose the shaft, then attach the handles, with the set screws

Neat & clean

ahhhh ok got ya i was like wait a min here lol

forestb 09-12-2020 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yay
Reinstalled my headliner for the first time sense last year with some VHB Velcro. Thanks jweb.