The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Nutserts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810970)

LT7A 08-23-2020 07:48 PM

Nutserts

A bit of conversation lately about products and available tools. After deft PMing and blatant build-thread hi-jacking I thought I would get the info corralled under its own thread header.

LT7A 08-23-2020 07:54 PM

Re: Nutserts

I will start things off by saying that I'm on the lookout for a nutsert tool... I am installing mirrors on a couple of trucks where either the factory nutserts have deteriorated or the PO just drilled and screwed the mirrors into the door skin -- Splendid.

I hunted down the correct vinyl coated nutserts that the factory uses and I don't even remember where I found the information. I finally cornered them at I think Fastenal and had to buy a box. So if you need a couple...

I would like to get a decent installation tool without spending a whole C-note for just needing it a few times. I'm open to suggestions and would ask if anybody has had good luck with the HF version. I will copy a post over from SCOTI about a tool he found and we can get rolling from there if anybody else has interest in this.

LT7A 08-23-2020 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by SCOTI:
"I used the bolt & nut method after more than one instance where there isn't room for the tool pictured & the smaller rivet-gun style of tool wore my hand out after the 2nd or 3rd insert. Then, while @ my local 'premium' hardware outlet Elliott's, I found a set-up that's like the nut/bolt method but is easier to use. They were about $10 for each size needed.
Just to follow up on this.... I was asked in a PM about what I used/found @ my local 'premium' hardware joint. Here is an image of the set-up. I purchase one for each size I commonly use (1/4", 5/16, & 3/8). The nut-sert goes into the panel (keep the hole small enough so the inserts serrated edges grip the metal). The die slips over the bolt. Thread the bolt into the inset. As the bolt tightens, the die helps keep the insert from moving while it collapses the insert 'barrel'. They were less than $10 for each size. I put a dab of anti-seize on the bolt threads to prolong the thread life."

LT7A 08-23-2020 08:00 PM

SCOTI, thanks for the info. Did you find a manufacturer on the tool pictured or does your local hardware emporium have a website? That picture looks like it mighta got took from online somewhere. Since ATM I only need to pop in some 1/4 - 20s, buying an apparatus for each size is ok by me as long as it works well.

AussieinNC 08-23-2020 08:10 PM

I have this unit and it works well....

Mandrel sizes included are

M5,
10-24,
M6,
1/4-20,
M8,
5/16-18,
M10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XT5PF69...ustomerReviews

Thealien 08-23-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8796875)
SCOTI, thanks for the info. Did you find a manufacturer on the tool pictured or does your local hardware emporium have a website? That picture looks like it mighta got took from online somewhere. Since ATM I only need to pop in some 1/4 - 20s, buying an apparatus for each size is ok by me as long as it works well.

I bought mine at McMaster-Carr but they were not $10, probably closer to $30

hatzie 08-23-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 8796889)
I bought mine at McMaster-Carr but they were not $10, probably closer to $30

I was going to suggest McMaster but you beat me to it.

SCOTI 08-24-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8796875)

That pic was from online but was a good image of the set-up so I used it. I intended to go by there this weekend (Sat) but had a funeral service to attend & didn't have time.

Honest Bob 08-25-2020 09:16 AM

I bought this one but it looks like the price went up $30!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can wait, I would stalk woot.com they have had more than one sale on astro pneumatic stuff (I think?).

aggie91 08-25-2020 11:38 AM

Here is an online source for the one SCOTI showed above, $15 each:
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-n...et-nut-tools#1

These are a bit higher priced, but look to be built to last longer..
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-n...ss-nut-tools#1

Here are a couple of other simple rivet nut installation tools:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...vetnuttool.php
6-32, 8-32, 10-321 thread sizes only

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...onrivtool1.php
This one is limited on the thread sizes available, 1/4"-20 or -28 is the largest

layinrocker65 08-25-2020 03:08 PM

I have one off of amazon. Was about $60, metric and standard sizes and came in a case. Couldnt find a link to the one I got but I’ve used it 100 times with sizes between 1/4 and 3/8 without a single issue.

LT7A 08-25-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8797091)
That pic was from online but was a good image of the set-up so I used it. I intended to go by there this weekend (Sat) but had a funeral service to attend & didn't have time.

Thanks SCOTI, wasn't getting impatient. Wanted to get this out of Ryan's thread and was mystified how you had a picture and not a name, haha. Figured I would ask around and hit you back up for the mfr.

LT7A 08-25-2020 10:08 PM

Thanks to everyone that responded -- I have options! And an extra salute for all of the links!

BTW, I will pass along a little thing I discovered with amazon. They have been criticized for their "variable" pricing. It is "updated" 10 times a day. It seems to include an algorithm that tries to guess how much you want to buy an item.

An example: I had a couple of items up on tabs in my browser and put my computer into hibernate and went to bed. The next day I went to load up my cart and make the purchases but the items wouldn't load into the cart until I had refreshed the pages -- by which time BOTH items had gone up about 15%. Not a lot and probably geared to make me say "oh well" and pull the trigger anyway. Instead, I logged off amazon and left it for a day. Next time I pulled up those exact 2 items they were listed for LESS than they were priced WHEN I FIRST PULLED THEM UP. Crazy. Wouldnta believed it if I hadn't experienced it firsthand. FWIW.

SCOTI 08-25-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8798086)
Thanks SCOTI, wasn't getting impatient. Wanted to get this out of Ryan's thread and was mystified how you had a picture and not a name, haha. Figured I would ask around and hit you back up for the mfr.

I went by there last night but they close @ 7p & I just missed. I've been working on my TRE insert debacle since after work so I didn't even try today.

ShortHaul 08-26-2020 10:08 AM

FWIW I bought my nutserts at Fastenal. The tool I used was the Astro 1442... but I can’t fully recommend it as I had 2 out of the 12 nutserts fail to seat properly... could have been user error, but I felt like I used the same process for each one and ended up with different results twice.

LT7A thanks for creating the thread!

LT7A 08-27-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8798101)
I went by there last night but they close @ 7p & I just missed. I've been working on my TRE insert debacle since after work so I didn't even try today.

Thanks man! But no expectation whatsoever that you would head to the hardware store just to get information on this for me. I thought if you had it reasonably handy and it was stamped with a manufacturer, that then I could look into how to order one or buy one local. Please don't take any more trips just for this, but thanks so much.

SCOTI 08-28-2020 09:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Additional info on what I started using when building my dually. These work well & you can do them in cramped spaces much easier.

I also purchased a Grade-8 bolt for each size die (insert tool nut) which is where my $10 number originated (die + bolt) combo. These were available/on the shelf @ my local Elliots hardware in the DFW area.

hatzie 08-30-2020 10:03 AM

Real hardware stores that carry Midwest Fastener or Hillman are getting scarce.
Well worth patronizing real hardware stores that carry those kind of products rather than The Borg.

SCOTI 08-30-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8800164)
Well worth patronizing real hardware stores that carry those kind of products rather than The Borg.

Truth. My only complaint is the overly zealous 'help'. If I need to know something, I know how to ask. When I'm searching through bins looking for possible solutions, it gets annoying when they keep coming up to me w/the "What are we working on today?" opener.

midnight rambler 08-31-2020 04:54 PM

i got lucky and purchased 2 cherry max D-100-Mil-2 Hand Hydraulic Riveter from a buddy that retired. so far used it for installing blind rivets 5000 lbs of pulling force, what to try the dimple dies on it.

LT7A 08-31-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8799172)
Additional info on what I started using when building my dually. These work well & you can do them in cramped spaces much easier.

I also purchased a Grade-8 bolt for each size die (insert tool nut) which is where my $10 number originated (die + bolt) combo. These were available/on the shelf @ my local Elliots hardware in the DFW area.

Well, information doesn't get any more complete than that. Thank you SCOTI. I hope that wasn't the only reason you went there, but thanks again. It looks like a good solution for me. I have a similar type hardware store nearby but I don't know if they carry Midwest Fastener. Now I know what I'm looking for and can ask for if need be.

LT7A 08-31-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8800164)

I agree I don't know what I would do without their assortment of nuts, bolts, and other fasteners. Called McLendon Hardware in my neck of the woods and started by old man McClendon in the 1920s or so.

57NAPCO 09-01-2020 11:31 AM

An important item for any tool...

Quote:

Originally Posted by layinrocker65 (Post 8797856)
and came in a case.

rodstored-72 09-01-2020 12:11 PM

I am new at "working" with these. I am wondering is there a chart or a guide to tell a person what size hole to drill for the size of the revnut?

IE: 3/8-16 nutsert would need a hole=??
maybe i just missed it, not sure??

thanks!

SCOTI 09-01-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8801355)
I am new at "working" with these. I am wondering is there a chart or a guide to tell a person what size hole to drill for the size of the revnut?

IE: 3/8-16 nutsert would need a hole=??
maybe i just missed it, not sure??

thanks!

They make a 'Uni-Bit' style of step bit that is indexed (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) according to the Nutsert/Riv-Nut hole size. I don't know what the indexed sizes translate to mathematically.

I've just been using bits smaller than the nutsert being used. You want as tight a grip as possible so it's better to drill a smaller hole & file to size if necessary. I set the inserts I do to as a tight fit as possible which usually requires me to tap them in place w/a small hammer. Once compressed, they're locked in.