The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what do you all think? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=422613)

#169fan 09-22-2010 09:48 PM

what do you all think?

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my 69 gmc interior. I am a long ways from being done, but it is turning out pretty nice! It was a body off resto. The cab had major issues. Has new cab corners, inner and outer rockers, all new floor pans, gas tank filler hole filled in, firewall has been shaved, way too much to list without writing a book here. Frame was stripped bare and coated with herculiner. Motor and transmission have been rebuilt. New front and rear end from an 86 chevy that have been gone through. New wiring , digital gauges from dakota digital, leather seats, new carpet, stainless steering column, new dash bezel, i could go on for a long time. Still to come is the body work to the bed and the front end along with a new cowl induction hood. If money just grew on trees this thing would get done in the next few years. I'm sure alot of you guys know how that goes. I have been working on this thing over 2 years already. It will be worth the time, i am sure, when i get to drive it down the road with a big smile on my face! Let me know what you all think. Any thoughts?

Andy4639 09-22-2010 10:15 PM

Re: what do you all think?

Looks as though you have a nice truck. Nice to see it coming back together to I bet! A+;):chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...ons/icon14.gifhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...ons/icon14.gif

70cst 09-22-2010 10:40 PM

Very nice touches :uhmk:

swamp rat 09-23-2010 02:26 AM

What were the leather seats out of? and was ther a lot of fab work to mount them?

Deggs 09-23-2010 02:50 AM

Looking good.

I'd like to see a few pics of the process if you decide on a build thread.

#169fan 09-23-2010 06:58 PM

leather seats were out of a 2005 dodge ram. i took the center console off of them to make them just buckets. it took a bit of fab work to mount them. i just cut the old mounts off and built all new ones out of 1''square stock. mounting locations wasn"t a huge deal since when we were doing the body work to the cab we filled all the old mounting points in so there wouldn't be a bunch of holes in the floor that were not being used. the seats are power seats also. Deggs, i have been taking several photos of the process, so if there are any pics in particular you would like to see of the truck just let me know.

swamp rat 09-23-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #169fan (Post 4206277)
leather seats were out of a 2005 dodge ram. i took the center console off of them to make them just buckets. it took a bit of fab work to mount them. i just cut the old mounts off and built all new ones out of 1''square stock. mounting locations wasn"t a huge deal since when we were doing the body work to the cab we filled all the old mounting points in so there wouldn't be a bunch of holes in the floor that were not being used. the seats are power seats also. Deggs, i have been taking several photos of the process, so if there are any pics in particular you would like to see of the truck just let me know.

If you have a pic of the mount setup that would be great, i have been thinking about converting to buckets in the future and want high back if i do it. Thanks!

ChevLoRay 09-23-2010 09:41 PM

Looking good. Are you going to re-color the seats? I ask because I have a 2nd row seat from a Tahoe to put in '69. There's a company in CA, that I spoke with about dyeing my seats and they let me know that it isn't a dye, but a colorant. My seat is also tan leather, but it's going to be black, with red inserts....or maybe the opposite...red with black inserts. Can't make up my mind. But, it's doable.

red71cheyenne 09-24-2010 03:22 PM

Looking good! I love Blue!

Zoomin 09-24-2010 08:33 PM

I was thinking as I read your description about the buid, the cash register was ringing up. It's goi g to be real nice when you get done with it. All it takes is time, money and talent, and you have all three.
Posted via Mobile Device

WestWardWinds 09-24-2010 10:09 PM

Love the column and the digital dash I want one someday as well.

#169fan 09-25-2010 03:10 PM

i didn"t take pics of the mounts before i put them in. basically just took a cut off saw and trimmed away all the old mounts and welded 1" square stock to the sliders being carefull not to get them too hot and melt the plastic slides in the channel. i used small spot welds all up and down the rails pouring water on them every little bit to be sure not to let it get too hot. i then cut angles on the ends to allow me to drop in a 3/8 bolt easier to bolt it to the floor. not real hard, just time consuming.

#169fan 09-25-2010 03:11 PM

the seats are gonna remain tan. i am going to custom make some door panels in tan leather to tie the seats in with the rest of the interior.

#169fan 09-25-2010 03:19 PM

i dont know about having money or an extreme amount of talent, but it definately takes alot of time on a budget like mine to do everything i have done so far. you have to be patient and really want something badly to accomplish the goal that i have set out for with this truck. had it not been my grandfathers truck before he past away, i am not sure the truck would mean enough to me to spend as much time and money on it as i have. even my grandma who is still around tells me that i am an idiot for doing all this on the truck, which she never liked from day 1 i might add. i guess the moral of the story is that you don"t have to make much money at all to be able to do what i have done so far, you just have to be patient and save every spare dime. i saved every spare cent i had, to do what i have so far, for over 2 years.

scooterskoolkustoms 09-25-2010 03:32 PM

I like it really nice.

yote1234 09-25-2010 04:00 PM

me likes! especially the dig..dash

Kidd-7 09-25-2010 06:09 PM

newbie question: I have a 71 and want to pull it apart also, were did you start with the frame and how did you get it clean for paint, etc? thanks.

cdowns 09-25-2010 06:49 PM

i think those lazyman rubber fuel lines cause lots of big fires

big_al_71 09-25-2010 06:55 PM

Liking those gauges....

VA72C10 09-25-2010 07:13 PM

Looking really nice

FRENCHBLUE72 09-25-2010 09:07 PM

I think she looks great keep up the great work..

#169fan 09-26-2010 02:03 PM

once the body and engine and tranny were removed i powerwashed it very well. i then removed the front end, you just unbolt like 10 bolts i think after the steering is all unhooked, and then you just support the frame and roll everything out from under it. then i removed the rearend springs and all. at this point you could sandblast it, but my sandblaster was plugging up so i decided to spend alot of time with a wire wheel on a grinder and a scraper. i took it all the way to bare metal. i had some rust issues behind the rear spring hangers, so i had to torch out the rivets that hold all 4 hangers on. i used a plasma torch to cut all the bad metal out before i welded in some fresh steel and re-drilled the holes for the spring mounts, which i bolted back in with grade 8 bolts later. at this point i decided what the heck, lets just dismantle the entire frame so i even removed all the cross members in the frame. so at this point the frame was in several pieces. i herculined every piece individually before bolting it all back together. follow the directions on the herculiner if you decide to go this way instead of paint or powder coat. if you do not do it right, the herculiner will not adhear to the metal correctly and it could flake off over time. make sure to use a good degreaser before you coat the frame. as far as the front end and the rearend go, i painted them since there are numerous bolts you may eventually have to remove to do repairs. if you were to herculine it, bolts are nearly impossible to remove unless you plan on grinding them off.

#169fan 09-26-2010 02:05 PM

cdowns, those lazy man rubber fuel lines were a temporary fixture so i could make sure engine was running properly. it has since been replaced with metal lines.

SOON2BLAZE 09-26-2010 02:08 PM

from one fan of the 69 to another your interion looks great!

#169fan 09-26-2010 02:11 PM

the digital dash was well worth the money in my opinion. it takes awhile to hook up, but since i was replacing all the wiring harness, it wasn't that big of deal. i used a complete wiring harness i purchased through classic parts. everything is labeled and it is a fairly straight forward and simple job. a bit time consuming though. the worst thing about installing the digital dash was finding a place to put the little brain box. i ended up fabricating a bracket that bolted to the transmission tunnel up high under the dash to bolt it to. i can post pics if anyone is interested.