The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624544)

stangtjk 08-01-2019 09:55 AM

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobshotrodblazer (Post 8568499)
Can I get info on this. Pretty cool

Post 98 of my build has more details.

Short story is that it's a damper from a 2014-19 truck mounted inside the tailgate.

bobshotrodblazer 08-01-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stangtjk (Post 8568559)
Post 98 of my build has more details.

Short story is that it's a damper from a 2014-19 truck mounted inside the tailgate.

Good idea...thanks

lks dcvn 08-04-2019 06:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Swapped one Grant GT wheel out for another...been waiting to install the walnut one for awhile now.

I also fixed the turn signal cam while I was in there that has been broken since I bought the truck.

Slowly working on the interior as I get time and parts. I already picked up a set of parchment buckets that will be replacing the seats that are in this rig now.

SoCoC10 08-05-2019 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took the K5 5 to Menard's Chevy Show Denver

Chulisohombre 08-05-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 8570916)
Took the K5 5 to Menard's Chevy Show Denver

Looks like one clean k5

Ol Blue K20 08-05-2019 10:02 PM

Looked very nice. Looked like a nice show.

JayDubBlazer 08-10-2019 10:38 PM

Cleaned out all the mouse turds.
Posted via Mobile Device

PDXk5 08-11-2019 12:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed my newly purchased 15x8 rims and tires!

Copper116 08-13-2019 03:51 AM

I started replacing the corroded brake lines with copper alloy lines but run into areas I couldn't reach. So I ended paying the local repair shop to finish the job. Cost me $225.00 labor.
I have a question: I went to a reputable shop for the line replacements and they told me they are not licensed to work on vehicles 1972 and older ! I never heard of such a thing. Anyone hear anything like that. This is in Michigan.

En Fuego 69 08-13-2019 11:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut some patch panels on the doors.... fought with some frozen u bolts prepping for the new front axle this coming weekend while simultaneously using mass amounts of profanity. After a couple beers decided they will get the good old fire wrench

Chulisohombre 08-14-2019 09:11 AM

Sometimes the fire wrench is the only way. Especially on trucks that are almost 50 years old now.

Haggar 08-16-2019 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
(Actually a couple days ago..) Installed new seats, so my kids have shoulder belts. These are from a 2010 Escalade.

I did the mounting a little different than others. I don't care about the removable rails for the rears, so I removed all of the brackets, which leaves you with seats with nice flat bottoms and flat metal tabs to mount to. I welded a simple metal frame, which reused the legs off the original seats (bolts into the stock mounts in the floor). I have amplifiers under the seat that I wanted clearance for. The Drivers side also only used the seat, stripped of all the factory frame, and then mounted pretty easily to my pre-existing sliders. The passenger seat kept the flip/fold base from the Cadillac, it's nice and flips up like it was meant for the Jimmy.

Chulisohombre 08-16-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar (Post 8577107)
(Actually a couple days ago..) Installed new seats, so my kids have shoulder belts. These are from a 2010 Escalade.

I did the mounting a little different than others. I don't care about the removable rails for the rears, so I removed all of the brackets, which leaves you with seats with nice flat bottoms and flat metal tabs to mount to. I welded a simple metal frame, which reused the legs off the original seats (bolts into the stock mounts in the floor). I have amplifiers under the seat that I wanted clearance for. The Drivers side also only used the seat, stripped of all the factory frame, and then mounted pretty easily to my pre-existing sliders. The passenger seat kept the flip/fold base from the Cadillac, it's nice and flips up like it was meant for the Jimmy.

Looks real nice. I want to do the same at some point.

mcmlxix 08-22-2019 04:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed some American Billet tail light bezels. If you're not using factory trim, these are awesome...

https://allamericanbilletstore.com/1...-btl-6772-c10/

:hot:

kmg123 08-26-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar (Post 8577107)

Great looking truck.. Small world. I saw it in the Kroger parking lot in Lake Orion on Saturday and admired the seats!

mcmlxix 08-26-2019 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installing an American Autowire builder harness... I decided to install some flange mount Deutsche connectors on the firewall for the front and rear light harness ...
* picture is sideways for some reason

litebulblsc 09-12-2019 05:35 PM

Hooked the sending unit up and seen my gas gauge works. Kind of want to go get some gas just to watch the needle go up.

Moreyel 09-23-2019 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made progress on my floor removal and rebuild project

simicrintz 10-05-2019 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Washed and waxed for fall!

ochre1971 11-10-2019 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed double wall top for the winter.
Not sure if others have done this, but it's usually an all day job getting bolt holes to line up and to get everything to thread properly.
This year I cut down some bolts and essentially pre-installed studs into the top. Dropped the top and everything was lined up in one shot.
Major time saver. And I didn't have to worry near as much about cross-threading a bolt into an ancient captured nut.

Chulisohombre 11-10-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochre1971 (Post 8624709)
This year I cut down some bolts and essentially pre-installed studs into the top. Dropped the top and everything was lined up in one shot.
Major time saver. And I didn't have to worry near as much about cross-threading a bolt into an ancient captured nut.

I thought about doing that but was thinking it would be just as hard to line up and drop at the same time without scratching the paint on the bed pretty badly. Plus I already have like four or five bolts broken off inside the top that I can’t get out already. So I only have to line up four bolts per side right now. But my top is on for winter as well.

litebulblsc 11-10-2019 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Top partially on for the winter

Green Monster 11-11-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochre1971 (Post 8624709)
Installed double wall top for the winter.
Not sure if others have done this, but it's usually an all day job getting bolt holes to line up and to get everything to thread properly.

Can you elaborate on how your system of cutting down bolts and pre-installing studs into the top works? I agree that trying line up the bolts with the capture nut without cross threading is challenging.

Is there is a more efficient way to reinstall the tops on these Blazers/Jimmies?

Thanks!

3757chevy 11-15-2019 02:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my winter tires and wheels. Those 32-11.50x15 look good but that last snow storm was a little squirrely.

ochre1971 11-15-2019 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
@GreenMonster -
I picked up a dozen 2" SS carriage bolts that fit the captured nuts. Ran them through all the nuts in the top and chased any that needed it. Then cut the heads off of the nuts and ground a taper on one end of each. This is the real benefit, being able to easily access each nut while the top is in the air and being able to thread them properly.
(In retrospect, I'm not sure that grinding the taper on each was necessary. The thought process being it would allow the bolts to find the holes more easily with a little play to get them started.)

I installed a bolt into each nut in the top with loctite. I used blue, but would probably use red if I did it again. All of them held, except for one. I think my threads weren't perfect from the grinding process on that one and the nut ended up turning the bolt. Still worked, but better to make sure your threads are tip top, and red loctite would help. Come spring, we'll see if any of the bolts come out when removing the nuts. Even if they do, it'll be easy enough to reinstall them.

On my lift set up, the top sits on 2x4's which I lower on to the bed rails. Then get inside and lift the top with my back while I, or a helper, removes the 2x4's. Then gently lower the top into the holes.

FWIW, this is the lift set up I wish I had the tools to make, a much slicker system and would work with a roll bar.
From BobbyK:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398105

I then worked from the back to the front adding a washer, lock washer and a nut to each bolt.

I would say it easily cut the time frame down below half of the previous method, and if I remember correctly, I'm not sure there was even one cuss word involved. The old way involved several.

Let me know if that explains it sufficiently, or if you were looking for anything else specific.