The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   B's 70 2wd Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503278)

Splash4195 02-08-2012 12:53 PM

Re: B's 70 2wd Blazer

nice

YBNORML 02-10-2012 10:34 PM

I really like your seat mod, I am 6'4" so I may consider this. I love this site.

tubbedII 02-13-2012 12:30 PM

Thanks! Does yours have the extra set of holes back there too? When I was under the blazer the other day, the bracket with the nuts look exactly the same as well.

KevsClassics 02-22-2012 11:25 PM

Nice. :metal: Your hard work is turning out real nice. Keep it up. :metal::metal:

VA72C10 02-22-2012 11:46 PM

Looking good!

tubbedII 03-06-2012 01:46 PM

Well, progress came to a halt recently due bpth my brake issues and also a vacation to New Orleans for Mardi Gras...what a blast that was...but I'm back in town and ready to get started.

I'm going to install my old master/prop valve since I know it worked to see if this gets the brake fluid flowing...I have fluid in the lines, but the master isn't pushing anything through them. I hope this does it because I'm going to have to rebend the lines to get it all plumbed.

The only other update is that I got in touch with an old friend from junior high recently and found out he works for a local shop as a paint/body guy. Funny thing is I found him by his CL ad for a 55 rambler and me emailing him wanting to look at it. He's going to help me with the Blazer by coming by a few times a week to do the body work and teach me how. There's a ton trim holes to fill and a small rust spot to fix on the passenger sill area, but the rest he said will be blocking, skimming and few areas of hammer/dolly action. I gave up body work many years ago after trying to smooth my camaro's fire wall and having to repaint it 3 times because what I thought was smooth really wasn't after the paint hit it. At least I'll have a trained eye helping me and he's also going to spray it at his booth when we are done...all at no charge!!! (I pay for the materials of course) I always thought paint was a year or more away, so this is very exciting!

I'm pretty sure I've picked out a color...it's something I've been looking at for a very long time. It's off the newer lexus RX and IS and it's called Nebula Grey Pearl:
http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/ima...t5_RX-1134.jpg
http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/ima...11_IS-1114.jpg

I'm not dead set on it, but I do want something in a darker grey or gunmetal grey with a metalic. The top needs work, but I want it black...

ColoradoK5 03-06-2012 01:51 PM

Man that is a sweet color woll look good and give you the option on doing some black chrome wheels also

tubbedII 03-06-2012 02:02 PM

Ok...maybe I shouldn't have started looking around, but I also like this GM color:
Cyber Grey Metallic:
http://www.moderncamaro.com/images/I...8/DSC05467.JPG
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/i...9CHCR00002.jpg

Maybe a little too dark?

tubbedII 03-06-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 (Post 5234377)
Man that is a sweet color woll look good and give you the option on doing some black chrome wheels also

Gosh...I always wanted a set of black/gun metal wheels...Thanks for putting that one in my head...haha...back to the web I search!

47thriftmaster 03-06-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbedII (Post 5234395)
Ok...maybe I shouldn't have started looking around, but I also like this GM color:
Cyber Grey Metallic:
http://www.moderncamaro.com/images/I...8/DSC05467.JPG
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/i...9CHCR00002.jpg

Maybe a little too dark?

That Cyber Grey Metallic is a beautiful color in person, out in the sun it's bad a$$. Does look darker in the pictures though.

BigCountryx 03-06-2012 03:37 PM

I'm looking at the exact same colors and have the same front clip on my blazer now, lol. So good choice in my book.

Also, very odd that I stumbled across this thread 5 minutes after I posted a thread asking about how to move my front seat back a little. I'm 6'5" so I feel your pain!

tubbedII 03-06-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47thriftmaster (Post 5234518)
That Cyber Grey Metallic is a beautiful color in person, out in the sun it's bad a$$. Does look darker in the pictures though.

Cool! I've looked at greys forever, and I don't know if it's just that this one has never caught my eye or that I've never seen one in person, but I'm going to have to try and find one on the lot or something. I have seen the Nebula a few times now and that one actually looks darker in person than those pics, so I was a little nervous about the cyber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCountryx (Post 5234561)
I'm looking at the exact same colors and have the same front clip on my blazer now, lol. So good choice in my book.

Also, very odd that I stumbled across this thread 5 minutes after I posted a thread asking about how to move my front seat back a little. I'm 6'5" so I feel your pain!

You got good taste! It's funny because I'm only 5'10" but I got long legs/arms I guess because even at my "average" height I felt like the wheel was in my stomach. That mod has to be my favorite one since it put my left arm in the perfect position where it sits on top of the door and my hand is comfortably on the wheel and my legs have the perfect amount of room now.

tubbedII 03-13-2012 12:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My friends came by and started sanding this weekend! Lots of trim holes to fill up. My friend talked me into keeping the trim around the tail lights and getting the trim across the tailgate and handle...what do you guys think about only having that trim on the ride and no others before it's too late?

I still need to fix the brakes so I'm hoping to wrap that up tonight and he's coming by tomorrow for another sanding session.

jstplyn331 03-14-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbedII (Post 5249184)
My friends came by and started sanding this weekend! Lots of trim holes to fill up. My friend talked me into keeping the trim around the tail lights and getting the trim across the tailgate and handle...what do you guys think about only having that trim on the ride and no others before it's too late?

I still need to fix the brakes so I'm hoping to wrap that up tonight and he's coming by tomorrow for another sanding session.

Hey When they are done there you can send them Over :lol:

HaHaHa Looking good Tubbed keep it up.

Twisted71c10 03-15-2012 03:41 PM

you better watch out grinding and throwing sparks on the windows. you'll regret it.

tubbedII 03-27-2012 10:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advise, Trilogy! It was only a flap disk so I didn't think anything of it but we put some 3M stuff on the windows when pulled out the welder.

Been slowly attacking this thing the past couple weeks. Did some blocking and found the body work done by the PO to be pretty good. There's minimal filler in most spots but 1 where there's more than I'd like to see which is the right rear quarter's rocker (I don't think it's really called a rocker, but it's the part behind the rear bumper). We took that down and pulled it out as best we could. I'm not building a show truck or anything, but also don't want slabs falling off my ride since that's just embarassing. We welded up ALL the trim holes and the rear view mirror holes, and also shaved the rear side markers (fronts were already done). I left the key holes/door handles and even the ugly nipple of a gas cap...I just didn't want to get gas on my carpet so maybe one day I'll try out the motorcycle cap adventure to atleast get it flush with the body.

All that's left now is some glazing over the welds and a couple blocking sessions and it should be ready for paint!

ColoradoK5 03-27-2012 11:45 AM

Nice work cant wait to see it in color!!

tubbedII 03-27-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 (Post 5278073)
Nice work cant wait to see it in color!!

Me too! That's a bad a## bike you got there!!!

tubbedII 03-27-2012 12:45 PM

We've been talking about the top too. It's in pretty good condition outside of the bows in the top. I plan to Als liner it black, but I'm wondering if I should try to fix the bows 1st. I haven't seen anything on the board about someone being successful on fixing the bows, so I may just be stuck with it until I find a good top in my price range...which means never..haha

ColoradoK5 03-27-2012 02:55 PM

Thanks the bike is what delayed my Blazer build so much time and $$$ but im back on my blazer just need to find the time. I think the gray and black top will look sick with chrome touches here and there should look great in that Cali sun!!

tubbedII 03-27-2012 04:03 PM

It's funny how 2 wheels can cost as much 4! I'm really hoping it looks as good as I picture it in my head. My buddy talked me into painting the nose/grill black where it's typically white stock. I don't know how I feel about it but he said it'd be easy to paint grey if I really didn't like it once it's done. I'd have the chrome bumper with the grille surrounds and headlight bezels shiny too.

Just spoke to the interior guy too. I'm asking for the seats to be black leather surround with preforated grey suede inserts. As long as I can afford the material, this should be the final product.

NTR72GMC 03-27-2012 05:03 PM

Sweet build! I like the idea of painting the grill black. Not to make your color choice harder but you should check out Audi Oolong gray metallic.

NTR72GMC 03-27-2012 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't find a pic to do it any justice, it's just a color you would have to see in person.

ColoradoK5 03-27-2012 05:31 PM

Yeah its crazy 2wheels are very expensive and get out of control so fast!! but o well... Sounds like you have a good idea on the interior really looking foreward to seeing this color combo come together

tubbedII 03-28-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTR72GMC (Post 5278561)
Sweet build! I like the idea of painting the grill black. Not to make your color choice harder but you should check out Audi Oolong gray metallic.

So I googled the color...thanks a lot for making it more confusing! Haha. I have weeded out the GM Cyber grey. There's a camaro in my parking lot at work with it and although it looks great I don't think there's as much transition between light and dark in the tones on the body lines as the Lexus color.

I still need to go to the lot to check one out to be sure, but now I also have to go to an Audi lot because that Oolong sure is clean. The nice part is, I don't think I can really go wrong with all 3 as they are all pretty similar, but since this my 1st real paint job on a ride, I'd like to pick out that "perfect" one. The thing I like about the Lexus is that the tones get darker on the body lines and lighter on the panels where it seemed the GM did the opposite.