The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Clifford the Big Red Truck~~The Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=747247)

JohnJ@RideTech 10-17-2017 10:39 AM

Re: Clifford the Big Red Truck~~The Build

How's it coming Bubba?

1957 Chief 10-18-2017 09:52 AM

Apologize John. Got busy working on the frame and haven't really been documenting it here on the thread. I did however take lots of pics. Finally finished the 12 bolt so I will be able to finish the rear 4-link install today.

So ill prolly do an update with pics later today/tonight for those folks watchin.

I did get the 6.2 and the tr6060 in the frame and hung the exhaust up tho :-)

Bubba

1957 Chief 10-19-2017 10:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Teaser pics. Ill do a writeup later today.

82streetshow 10-19-2017 11:20 AM

coming along nicely

JohnJ@RideTech 10-19-2017 11:28 AM

DAMN!!! Looking good! I've got some stuff headed your way. Check your email.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 82streetshow (Post 8063807)
coming along nicely

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech (Post 8063814)
DAMN!!! Looking good! I've got some stuff headed your way. Check your email.

Thanks gentlemen. Im trying here. :-)

Ok so lots of stuff happening this last week and a half. Ill try and go chronologically.

After the front end suspension was semi complete, I went ahead and installed the motor/trans. First off, had to switch to a CTS-V pan. I really happy about the fitment of the pan AND the oil capacity. Since it holds 6 quarts, I chose not to run an external oil cooler.

Previous motor had the truck pan, it hung below the front crossmember. You can't even see this one from the front. Totally satisfied with it.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 09:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
New up was getting the motor home and installing the clutch and trans.

Was able to score a Mantic twin disc setup from a good buddy of mine.

LT7A 10-20-2017 09:45 AM

Very clean work.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Next up was sitting the motor and trans in the frame. I used the same motor mounts as I did on the first truck, stock altered ones. While I am dropping a lot of money in this, might as well use what I can. When we put the motor in it, I told my son that this is the first time I have ever put in a motor from the side.:lol:

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 09:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So when using truck accessories with a motor with VVT and a low rise intake, you have to move the idler pulley as well as change the water pump. You also have to cut off some material on the upper bracket for the outlet hose on the pump. Quick call to summit and ordered a ICB bracket and then chopped off the stuff in the way, and installed the L99 pump. Problem solved.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Next up was temporary installing the exhaust and checking the fitment of the rear trans mount/crossmember. Gotta use an adapter back there too for the mount. The TR6060 mount is about 4 inches further back than the 4L60. I was concerned about the crossmember getting into the "catalytic converter" curve, as well as hitting the exhaust. So I am 1 for 2. It doesn't go near the curve, but it hits the top part of my exhaust. Not by much tho, so most likely a tap with a hammer will be in order.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So the old truck had a 10 bolt with 3:73's with an eaton diff. When I bought this new frame to start the build, it ha a 12 bolt. I decided to run that since we were switching to a manual. I know some folks swear by the strength of a 10 bolt, but I decided to go with the 12. I already had Wilwoods on the 10 bolt so i just switched them over.

The 12 bolt has 3.42 gears, eaton diff and all new bearings and seals.

I also switched out the wheel studs to longer ones. When I put the disc brakes on the rear, I didn't like the length of the studs. I never got around to changing them on the 10 bolt, but did on the 12. The original studs are a .535 knurl, these are a .547 knurl (dorman part number 610-298.) You will need a 17/32 drill bit to open the axles up. They have a small shoulder on them, so make sure your wheels will cooperate. I also had to drill the brake hats out to fit over them.

I also cut off the shock mounts on the rearend because I'm using the ride tech rear 4 link suspension and I won't need em.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Next up was putting the rearend back under the frame. One of the beauties of the ride tech system, is its simplicity. I installed the upper and lower brackets on the axle and snugged em up, then rolled the rearend up under the frame and hooked the 4-link bars on. Then installed the pan hard bar. Was like a bowl of biscuits and gravy...easy. Then jacked it up and installed the coilers.

So easy a caveman can do it.

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So as it sits now,
I have to snug up the exhaust (after I clearance it)
Drill a couple new holes in the frame for the crossmember
Finish running the brake lines on the frame
Figure out a scatter shield/blanket for the bell housing
Set up the rear fuel tank and plumb the lines/filter to the intake
Plumb the trans cooler lines to the front of the truck
Run battery cables from the rear to a front power distribution block
Get the driveshaft finished

Then ill take a break and start working on the truck side of it for the clutch pedal assembly, take measurements to see how much I will have to raise the trans tunnel.

And I'm sure more stuff.... Also if any of you guys have questions or need measurements, holler at me.

Bubba

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yea, forgot to mention that I go try new harness from Andy at Swap Specialties. Its sexy :smoke:

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8064462)
Very clean work.

Thanks brother.

daddyjeep 10-20-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1957 Chief (Post 8064510)
Oh yea, forgot to mention that I go try new harness from Andy at Swap Specialties. Its sexy :smoke:

That really is a good looking harness. I like that loom... heat shrink on the ends even.

82streetshow 10-20-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1957 Chief (Post 8064457)
Thanks gentlemen. Im trying here. :-)

Ok so lots of stuff happening this last week and a half. Ill try and go chronologically.

After the front end suspension was semi complete, I went ahead and installed the motor/trans. First off, had to switch to a CTS-V pan. I really happy about the fitment of the pan AND the oil capacity. Since it holds 6 quarts, I chose not to run an external oil cooler.

Previous motor had the truck pan, it hung below the front crossmember. You can't even see this one from the front. Totally satisfied with it.

put a V pan on mine several years ago for the same reason, the clearance is about perfect

1957 Chief 10-20-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8064595)
That really is a good looking harness. I like that loom... heat shrink on the ends even.

Yes, it is a top notch harness. I used the same type on my LS1, and was really satisfied with it. Was a no brainer to do it again for the LS3. And the price didn't break the bank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82streetshow (Post 8064687)
put a V pan on mine several years ago for the same reason, the clearance is about perfect

You are right. A fella can go nuts reading about pans/mounts/clearance etc. I just read up a lot on them, and saw that two people were at the top of the "search" function with that pan and experience. You were one, so thanks brother.

Bubba

82streetshow 10-21-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1957 Chief (Post 8064787)
Yes, it is a top notch harness. I used the same type on my LS1, and was really satisfied with it. Was a no brainer to do it again for the LS3. And the price didn't break the bank.

You are right. A fella can go nuts reading about pans/mounts/clearance etc. I just read up a lot on them, and saw that two people were at the top of the "search" function with that pan and experience. You were one, so thanks brother.

Bubba

Man thats the beauty of these forums, lots of experience out there. It happend by chance for me. Got a crate LS6 to go into a vette here at the shop and it came with V pan on it so had to swap to the vette pan. I kept eyeballing it thinking it would fit my truck better so one day I tried it and the rest is history. Holley makes a good fitting pan but arent very cheap

1957 Chief 11-07-2017 02:31 PM

Finally got around to picking up the driveshaft today. I had to get it lengthened about 3.5 inches. So that should be able to get installed this week.
Also placed an order for a Boyd's rear tank yesterday. So will install that and hopefully it won't interfere with the rear crossmember on the ride tech system.

Il have pics and details up as soon as I get that stuff in.

Bubba

DBLSPRT68 11-16-2017 12:21 PM

Just read thru this build... WOW, YOU SIR have some mad skills!!! FANTASTIC :metal: INSPIRATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal:

1957 Chief 11-16-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 (Post 8083679)
Just read thru this build... WOW, YOU SIR have some mad skills!!! FANTASTIC :metal: INSPIRATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal:

Thanks brother. I wouldn't say mad skills tho, most of that stuff is bolt on...regular feller could handle all that. ;)

Hopefully I should have the gas tank on this weekend. Lots of folks are wondering the fitment on it with the new ride tech rear 4 link.

Thanks again brother

Bubba

STOCKISH 11-16-2017 09:54 PM

Glad your Son is OK. Your attention to detail is great, going to be sweet. Cant wait for more!

1957 Chief 11-18-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKISH (Post 8084127)
Glad your Son is OK. Your attention to detail is great, going to be sweet. Cant wait for more!

Thanks brother. Hopefully should see some movement this week. I mounted the rear tank today and ill get some pics up tomorrow.

Bubba