The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   fake white walls.....HELP (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=299913)

c-mack 07-19-2008 01:30 AM

fake white walls.....HELP

hi, while looking for white walls the other day for my 67, a local tire guy said that there are some kind of rings that fit between the rim and tire that make it look like you have white walls. he said that they were really popular in the 60s. they used to call the "spats" does anybody have some? are they worth the money? how much are they? just some info would be great...thanks

colby

67_C-30 07-19-2008 01:57 AM

Re: fake white walls.....HELP

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mack (Post 2812676)
hi, while looking for white walls the other day for my 67, a local tire guy said that there are some kind of rings that fit between the rim and tire that make it look like you have white walls. he said that they were really popular in the 60s. they used to call the "spats" does anybody have some? are they worth the money? how much are they? just some info would be great...thanks

colby

They are called portawalls and they are pretty much junk as far as I've been told. The can (and will) fly apart at high speeds. Some people say they weren't designed for radials and will only work well with bia ply tires, but this is all hearsay. I have no experience with them. I think Lucas Tires still sells them.

bowtieboy93 07-19-2008 02:05 AM

heres lucas tire's page or portawalls

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/POR...UIDELINES.html

HoupPhotography 07-19-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieboy93 (Post 2812703)
heres lucas tire's page or portawalls

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/POR...UIDELINES.html

Wow, thanks for that info man! and thanks for the post c-mack, I was just going o ask the same thing, $60 is much cheaper than $700...:lol:

Edit: I just remembered, someone had a "how to" video on how to make your own white walls by using a sanding disc on the black wall, it made a mess but it worked awesome, from the video.

bad6772 07-19-2008 07:00 AM

Hey Houp......i have seen the (MADE) whitewalls up close..And the way its done today is not like the way it was done years ago......I do not think you would be happy with the way they are done these days........Years ago......Their use to be shops that would (cut them down) almost like running them on a lathe......<that technique always looked good IMO....But the way they are sanded now......I dont think would fit the style and cleanliness your truck has...

just my O.2

see ten 07-19-2008 07:45 AM

Portawalls are designed for bias ply tires not for radials. Corky Coker no longer deals with them due to the large number of people that have been dissatisfied with em.

67_C-30 07-19-2008 07:51 AM

Yep see ten is right. Lucas Tire says that and the fact thatb need to run tubes on their site.

Quote:

Please read this before you try Portawalls

Portawalls were originally designed to work on bias ply tires some 50 years ago, not today's radials. Bias tires
have a flat rigid sidewall, and a much higher profile (aspect ratio) than radial tires. There is a lesser likelihood of
them adhering properly to a radial because of the radius and flexibility of it's sidewall. The lower the profile of a
radial, the less likely you will be pleased with the results. Larger radials with a 75 profile seem to work fairly well,
but we do not recommend trying them on many of today's popular 60 profiles and smaller. For radials, we
suggest the narrower widths, so they won't extend beyond the radius of the sidewall.

Installation is critical and the sidewalls have to be extremely clean to increase your success rate. We recommend
a degreasing agent, not a solvent be used to wipe between the tire and the rim to ensure that the area is very
clean. DO NOT use a soapy compound, or the portawalls will slip out during re-inflation. Use an inner tube!

Longhorn Man 07-19-2008 09:56 AM

speedway automotive has them, not sure if they are the same thing as corker had or not.

LockDoc 07-19-2008 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-
I had them on my 1940 Pontiac Coupe "Sugar Plum", in 1958.... :).. They were the 2" wide ones.

I guess you could say I've been into the cars & trucks for a few years....

LockDoc

Premium72 07-19-2008 10:11 AM

*content deleted*

Quote:

IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.
Quote:

XIII. If you are a long time member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate message board usage.

BACKYARD88 07-19-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 2812932)
-
I had them on my 1940 Pontiac Coupe "Sugar Plum", in 1958.... :).. They were the 2" wide ones.

I guess you could say I've been into the cars & trucks for a few years....

LockDoc

That's a cool Pic Leon, you've been around forever:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Premium72 (Post 2812933)
Edited

Thanks Andy:)

ChevLoRay 07-19-2008 11:24 AM

For my birthday, in '64, I asked for a set of "Double Eagle" portawalls for my '54 Ford. When I got 'em, I went to a local station that had an outdoor, drive-on lift. Breaking them down was done without any air tools....manual bead breaker, etc. Put them on, it looked good (bias ply recap tires) and I was a happy high school senior!

70' GMC 07-19-2008 12:27 PM

I think I seen someone sanding down the side of the tire to get the white wall look it was on you tube or another website. It looked dangerous sanding up that tire like they did.

Found it

ratpackv8sonly 07-19-2008 12:32 PM

Mooneyes has them. Again not for radials though. mooneyesusa.com

ChevLoRay 07-19-2008 03:14 PM

Back in the day, when a car wasn't dressed if it didn't have whitewalls, there were people who made a living going to car lots and "creating" whitewalls. Originally, they were painted onto the tires, and later the process evolved into actually cutting the outer surface to reveal the white rubber that may have formerly been a white lettered tire.

Didja know that there is alumina (refined bauxite) in the white rubber compound? Where I was employed, we had several rubber company customers who bought a specific product that went into the making of the white rubber. Titanium dioxide is another chemical compound that helps to create the white rubber.

mbgmike 07-19-2008 03:17 PM

Actually the first tires wire all white being the color of natural rubber they did not know how to make a black one

Sinister 07-19-2008 05:56 PM

There's a member on here who just painted his whitewalls on. The guy who lowered his C-20. They looked pretty good in the photos.

LockDoc 07-19-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 (Post 2812948)
That's a cool Pic Leon, you've been around forever:D

Thanks Mike... I think...:)

LockDoc

c-mack 07-19-2008 08:36 PM

...can you still buy bias tires?? where? how much?

Longhorn Man 07-19-2008 11:02 PM

I saw 3/4 ton truck (LT) tires at sears about 8 years ago... they were 16.5 tall by skinny booooooooring tires though.

c-mack 07-19-2008 11:47 PM

8 years ago?.....those are probably dry rotted by now! ;)

**grumpy** 07-20-2008 12:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've had port-a-walls on several cars/trucks (on radials).

Now granted, they aren't a 10yr solution, but for a cheap fix for a cruise season, they're fine.

And on my 59 chevy wagon with a EFI350/4L60, they stayed put at 90mph regularly.
I just recently had them on a 62 short fleet.

It's all in the install.

And trust me. I've bought, maybe, 10-12 sets of $700 radial wide whitewalls from Coker and Diamondback in the past 10 yrs. Shhhh, I have a bad habit of trading/selling cars....haha
But being laid-off now, I gotta go ghetto style. So they do me fine.

c-mack 07-20-2008 12:36 AM

around how long do they noramaly last you on the radials? o and BTW, AWESOME wagon. i love station wagons.

Sinister 07-20-2008 12:41 AM

Here's a link to that lowered C-20 with the painted whitewalls.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=286975&page=2

HoupPhotography 07-20-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **grumpy** (Post 2813939)
I've had port-a-walls on several cars/trucks (on radials).

Now granted, they aren't a 10yr solution, but for a cheap fix for a cruise season, they're fine.

And on my 59 chevy wagon with a EFI350/4L60, they stayed put at 90mph regularly.
I just recently had them on a 62 short fleet.

It's all in the install.

And trust me. I've bought, maybe, 10-12 sets of $700 radial wide whitewalls from Coker and Diamondback in the past 10 yrs. Shhhh, I have a bad habit of trading/selling cars....haha
But being laid-off now, I gotta go ghetto style. So they do me fine.

Wow, those are port-a-walls... They look great. I'm gonna give 'em a try and see how I like 'em, if I get some cruise time on 'em then it was worth the $60