The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Dead battery from not putting in park? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779790)

PGG 01-18-2019 10:13 PM

Dead battery from not putting in park?

I have a 2016 Suburban LTZ that has 55k aprox miles on it. I put a new AC Delco factory matched replacement battery in mid last year. Anyway today I guess I was rushed and had only put the truck in Reverse then turned it off. I did have the parking break on. After work today I was totally dead first I thought it was my fob battery but the truck battery tested dead. Should this drain a very new battery like that in 7-8 hours? No lights were left on etc. Also now that I have it running its been idling for a hour how long should I let it charge running? Should I put a charger on it overnight would that be better?

Thanks sorry these are likely basic knowledge questions but this new modern **** has me lost. My 72 K5 can sit for a week or a month and fire up it doesn't care what gear I left it in and has no battery for the key... Push button arg.

Thanks in advance for the advise. PG

WorkinLonghorn 01-19-2019 12:58 AM

Re: Dead battery from not putting in park?

I don't know about why it happened but I do know that you should put it on a trickle charger overnight rather than let the charging system of the truck charge it at a much higher rate which is hard on the battery I think. Also will wear the alternator.

PGG 01-19-2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn (Post 8446154)
I don't know about why it happened but I do know that you should put it on a trickle charger overnight rather than let the charging system of the truck charge it at a much higher rate which is hard on the battery I think. Also will wear the alternator.

Thank you for your time I will go put the charger on it! Have a great day. PG

Mr_Rich 01-19-2019 02:22 PM

I was curious about this. Could it be that because transmissions in the newer trucks have electronic shifting rather than manual linkage that it left a circuit closed where current could continue to flow in the system of the truck and run the battery down?

Bimus 01-19-2019 08:23 PM

I had almost the same thing happen when eating at a fast food place I left the ignition on to work the windows when time to go not enough volts to start the car also 2016 Subaru . The manager said this happens daily and they have a quick start he will bring out . At home I load tested the battery and it showed to be fine the original battery is 550 cca when I replace this battery a higher cca will be going in .

truckdude239 01-20-2019 01:33 PM

if the truck is not all the way into park the truck will not shut down completely and will drian the battery

franken 01-20-2019 11:23 PM

Maybe you should put it in park, check current flow, then reverse and the same. The internet can't tell you what your truck is doing. Only you can.

PGG 01-21-2019 02:05 AM

Thank you David very much appreciated that is what I was wondering. Have a great day. PG

I guess the internet can tell me what was wrong with my truck after all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 8446977)
if the truck is not all the way into park the truck will not shut down completely and will drian the battery