The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Finally...a new shop at the house (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=642984)

nlped 01-20-2015 05:47 PM

Re: Finally...a new shop at the house

The "plan" is to go block walls up to the hill height, then stick or steel on top of that (haven't decided) for a total wall height of 16'.

Daddy'O 01-21-2015 07:43 AM

Progress is always nice. Looking good Ed. Can't wait to see more.

BTW - Thank you for the kind words about my shop.

nlped 01-27-2015 07:41 PM

We'll, plan has changed... Already going to start adding on :lol: adding a 21'x24' pad to the rear for a clean/paint room and a 20'x8' on the low side for a dirty room for the drill press, compressor, sand blasting cabinet etc. those will keep the primary 36'x46' freed up for my other crap. :D

BR3W CITY 01-27-2015 08:45 PM

I wish we didn't have rediculous zoning rules around here...if I tried to double the size of my project overnight, they'd seize my dang house.

nlped 01-27-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 7022406)
I wish we didn't have rediculous zoning rules around here...if I tried to double the size of my project overnight, they'd seize my dang house.

Who is this zoning law folk??? We have no zoning laws out here in the land O' rednecks. :). Finally an advantage being stuck here :lol:

_Ogre 01-28-2015 02:20 PM

zoning is a mixed bag; without zoning you can do anything you want on your property
but... your neighbor can too, including putting a trailer park on the land next to yours
i bought 5 acres of paradise in the mountains of NC in 1982 and built my dream house and shop on it
i go back there every couple of years to see trashy old mobile homes filling up the mountain valley

now i live in se MI and they go over the top on what you can or can not do on your property
but... at the same time i'm ''protected'' to what my neighbors can do
sadly, there's rarely a good spot between none and full zoning

nlped 03-03-2015 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Luckily we have 7"ish" acres and can only see one of our neighbors homes from our house, so I think we are good there.

I got a price for all of my block & delivery yesterday and I've decided to take advantage of the topography (and moving my tiny "shop" down to the new shop location to use as a clean/paint room) and make the shop a little bigger.

I was playing around on Excel today at work and decided to whip up a schematic of the new floor plan.

The 8'x18' (this will house a full bath, dishwasher & washer/dryer) and the 20'x24' (where my little shop next to the house with a sloped floor :( will move too) areas are the add ons. It will have an 8' block filled wall on the hillside of the building. Hope to start on this part in 2 weeks if weather permits.

Advanced Design 03-03-2015 09:30 PM

Niped, that is going to be nice and the extra space will be really useful. Sounds like you will have enough height for a lift. Well thought out!

Starting in two weeks....our snow probably won't be melted in two weeks.

nlped 03-03-2015 09:40 PM

Yeah, 16' wall height in the main shop area is PLENTY of height for a lift...or 2 ;).

We had a foot of snow in the yard last Thursday, but it doesn't stay here long at all...it was 72 degrees today. :lol:

ETraugott 03-03-2015 10:58 PM

Nice shop. Progress is always nice. looked at the date on my slab the other day and its almost a year old. only have part of the frame work up as of now but plan on getting back on it soon. I also like your thought process on a small house and big shop, my house is a small 24x24 and the shop is a 60x44.

nlped 03-03-2015 11:37 PM

Oh, my current house/shop, the house is WAY bigger (3700+ sq ft plus a full basement) but in just over a year we will become empty nesters and we will hopefully sell & move either south to Florida (wife) or to northern Idaho (me) and the small house, HUGE shop will happen.

nlped 07-26-2015 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, life has been getting in the way so I haven't gotten much done to the shop, but I finally made a little more progress. I got the rest of the pad poured and got the block wall (8'8" tall x a total of 90' long) up that's in the hillside. It's fun to walk around down there now and plan out the next step...it's starting to feel like this may actually get done.

I'll get the exterior of the wall sealed and the drainage lines in place in the next few weeks and possibly start on the last bit of block work.

Here are few pics...

Advanced Design 07-26-2015 07:21 PM

Going to be very nice. Did you do the block work?

nlped 07-26-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7254556)
Going to be very nice. Did you do the block work?

No, I did the grunt work though. A friend knew a guy that I ended up getting to lay the block. Great worker for sure....I couldn't have done it nearly as nice and certainly no where near as fast. It took us 3 days to get all the block done.

flashed 07-26-2015 09:09 PM

Looks good ,my second shop is on hold as I keep buying trucks .

nlped 07-26-2015 09:15 PM

LoL. I totally understand. I'm done buying anymore extra vehicles until this endeavor is complete. I have 4 67-72 trucks, a 74 Bronco, '56 F@rd p/u, a 77 Trans Am, 48 Cub Cadet float plane and my 93 Mustang and GOB TONS of parts for all of them. Plus our daily drivers. My vehicle quota is FULL.

Daddy'O 08-20-2015 07:05 AM

Looking good Ed!

_Ogre 08-20-2015 12:26 PM

shop is looking good

Quote:

I'll get the exterior of the wall sealed and the drainage lines in place in the next few weeks
i always wait a few years after the hill has collapsed and a big rain causes water problems :D
seriously waterproof and get your drain tile and gravel in there before you have problems

nlped 08-20-2015 01:09 PM

^^^ yes SIR!!! :)

I'm planning on doing the drainage & sealing next week.

nlped 08-04-2017 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, 2 years later and mucho problems but I'm finally moving forward again. :metal:

153 pieces of rebar and mako mix pumped into every cell. Building should be going up in a few weeks.

Advanced Design 08-09-2017 06:31 AM

Good to see your shop build moving forward.

nlped 09-05-2017 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Small step forward... but these damn hurricanes are screwing up my pace!

nlped 09-06-2017 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more day in...

flashed 09-06-2017 09:15 PM

That is going to be nice .

nlped 09-08-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8033612)
That is going to be nice .

Yeah, I'm glad to finally be moving forward. It been a seriously bumpy road to get this.