The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does this look like a 5" drop? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820762)

Greasey Harley 04-15-2021 11:05 PM

Does this look like a 5" drop?

5 Attachment(s)
I recently swapped my 2" POL rear springs and 2" blocks:
2.5/4 drop
Attachment 2095902
for CPP 5" rear springs:
3.5/5 drop
Attachment 2095925
As you can see, there is a dramatic difference in ride height. The new springs put the bump stops directly on the U-bolts:
Attachment 2095912
I hacked the bump stops and It's drivable (in fact it handles great), but it sure seems lower than 5".
Attachment 2095920
Originally, this truck had well over 6" of rear travel.
Attachment 2095916
Thoughts?

pjmoreland 04-15-2021 11:24 PM

Re: Does this look like a 5" drop?

I have 6" drop springs and I have approximately 1" of clearance between the bumpers and the u-bolts.

lolife99 04-15-2021 11:31 PM

You need to add an adjustable track bar to re-center the rear axle.
Also rear shock relocators and drop shocks will improve ride quality.

Greasey Harley 04-15-2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 8909035)
I have 6" drop springs and I have approximately 1" of clearance between the bumpers and the u-bolts.

That seems correct. Not sure what's going on with my springs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8909040)
You need to add an adjustable track bar to re-center the rear axle.
Also rear shock relocators and drop shocks will improve ride quality.

Done and done.

CC69Rat 04-16-2021 06:34 PM

Your pinion needs about 3-4 degree adjustment too, it will hold down the driveline vibes at freeway speeds. I also second what Keith suggested. Have you considered C Notching it? It looks like (to me) those springs might be kinda soft ? Ex. overll spring rate? I have Belltech 5" springs in my 67 and it's not that low. Mine is Cnotched but still, it's not that close to the frame.

Greasey Harley 04-16-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 8909353)
Your pinion needs about 3-4 degree adjustment too, it will hold down the driveline vibes at freeway speeds... .

I was just driving 80mph with no vibration, but I will look into pinion angle correction, thanks for the tip.
Quote:

I also second what Keith suggested...

Shocks, relocators and adjustable track bar is already done.
Quote:

Have you considered C Notching it? It looks like (to me) those springs might be kinda soft ? Ex. overll spring rate? I have Belltech 5" springs in my 67 and it's not that low. Mine is Cnotched but still, it's not that close to the frame.

I ain't notchin' my frame, just not my thing.
not sure about the spring specs. They are CPP -5" springs. I need the truck to set about 1 to 1.5" higher in the rear and I'm open to suggestions on springs.
I am looking for a quality set of -4" springs, and If it sets a little high, I still have 1" blocks I could put back in.
The new springs do set 3/4" higher on the passenger side than the driver side...so that's good :rolleyes:

CC69Rat 04-16-2021 09:42 PM

On the rear height 3/4" difference, what you're seeing is called "Chevy Lean". The real issue is the drivers front. That side is 3/4" lower than the pass side and it kinda makes the pass rear kick up a little. Think "see saw" from one side to the other diagonally across the truck. If the drivers side front sits 3/4" lower then the pass rear will sit that same amount higher.

Belltech makes a spacer to correct it. Google Chevy Lean and you'll see a bunch of write ups on it. Every truck I've ever dropped has it. From S10s, Squares, 67-72, I have a dropped Blazer 4 door too. They all lean.

Good luck with it man. Later.

Greasey Harley 04-16-2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 8909420)
On the rear height 3/4" difference, what you're seeing is called "Chevy Lean". The real issue is the drivers front. That side is 3/4" lower than the pass side and it kinda makes the pass rear kick up a little. Think "see saw" from one side to the other diagonally across the truck. If the drivers side front sits 3/4" lower then the pass rear will sit that same amount higher.

Belltech makes a spacer to correct it. Google Chevy Lean and you'll see a bunch of write ups on it. Every truck I've ever dropped has it. From S10s, Squares, 67-72, I have a dropped Blazer 4 door too. They all lean.

Good luck with it man. Later.

Perhaps I should double check and make sure the passenger front spring is properly seated, I swapped all four springs at the same time. If it's properly seated, I'll swap left for right and reevaluate. If that doesn't fix it I'll look at spacers. It didn't lean before I swapped the springs. I'll check it out, thanks.